Alpina Logo Font Discrepancies

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Bonsaibacker

Alpina Logo Font Discrepancies

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Looking for clarification from any of our Alpina experts.

I have an Alpina shift knob and the logo looks like this:

I acquired an older Alpina steering wheel without a horn button and was shopping around. I noticed that the "original" horn button has a different font (even in for sale posts in other forums from reputable sellers offering complete wheels). This is a pic from 2002faq:

Notice the "legs" on the As and N are and the base of the L are all thinner.

Is this correct- they used 2 different fonts?
wkohler

Re: Alpina Logo Font Discrepancies

Post by wkohler »

I think any difference you're seeing has to do with the different processes to make the parts.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Insignificant

I have many items with original Alpina logos and those variations are nothing unusual. I even have a stash of MOMO Alpina horn buttons somewhere around here, and an entire gift box of Alpina stuff from Kris Odwarka before he moved from Alpina to BMW AG. Many applications of the logo have subtle variations, just like the BMW logo.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Thank you for the input. I linked to the wrong picture for the horn button. This is the example I meant to upload- this button is on eBay and is listed as an original Momo piece and is not uncommon for the offerings I have seen.

Just for confirmation- this font deviation doesn't raise eyebrows?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

That’s a much earlier horn button, note the Weber carburetor image On the blue field and the chrome ring around the horn button. Likely from the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

wkohler wrote: Sep 30, 2020 12:01 PM That’s a much earlier horn button, note the Weber carburetor image On the blue field and the chrome ring around the horn button. Likely from the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Thank you Chris. The horn button is the only place I have found the deviation and new "OEM" buttons have the early font.
Although there is plenty of documentation about Alpina and their history, I only found technical articles about their logo and meaning.

Trivial...
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Sep 30, 2020 5:46 AM Just for confirmation- this font deviation doesn't raise eyebrows?
The details you all notice. Now that you bring it up what is that on the right ? I see the 2 barrel carb left but is it meant to look like a camshaft for:
an incredibly rare two cylinder engine with 3 valves in the front cylinder and 4 in the rear
the incredible weak cam for a 3 cylinder plus a lobe for a fuel pump

In the first picture it's clearly a crank for a 4 cylinder and a pair of velocity stacks on ITB's.

or do the numbers 4 and 3 have some significance at Alpina ?
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I'd say it's either a camshaft or a crankshaft. It may be stylized and not necessarily accurate - making it realistic may not have been as big a concern, or may have to do with the limits of technology for creating a badge at an affordable price 50+ years ago.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Their first logo was established in 1967 and is the twin trumpet Weber carburetor air intakes with camshaft & was based on the work done by Burkard Bovenspien modifying 4-cylinder BMWs in the 1960s. They changed in 1970 to the carb with crankshaft, then in 1971 to the modern throttle body with crankshaft.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

Nothing specific to add to the discussion, but years ago I scanned a M&N Alpina catalog from 1983, and it shows some variety in the fonts such as on page 8 comparing the shift knob versus the key fob. Maybe this link from the M5board where I uploaded it will work: https://www.m5board.com/attachments/m-n ... df.487402/
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

CSBM5 wrote: Oct 04, 2020 9:09 AM Nothing specific to add to the discussion, but years ago I scanned a M&N Alpina catalog from 1983, and it shows some variety in the fonts such as on page 8 comparing the shift knob versus the key fob. Maybe this link from the M5board where I uploaded it will work: https://www.m5board.com/attachments/m-n ... df.487402/
That (along with others observations) answers my initial question. Thank you for sharing- very cool.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Oct 05, 2020 7:54 AM
CSBM5 wrote: Oct 04, 2020 9:09 AM Nothing specific to add to the discussion, but years ago I scanned a M&N Alpina catalog from 1983, and it shows some variety in the fonts such as on page 8 comparing the shift knob versus the key fob. Maybe this link from the M5board where I uploaded it will work: https://www.m5board.com/attachments/m-n ... df.487402/
That (along with others observations) answers my initial question. Thank you for sharing- very cool.
:beer:

A bit off the topic, but here's a link to an upload I also did of an Alpina Deko brochure I got from M&N from back in the day that might also be interesting to some here:

https://www.m5board.com/threads/scanned ... 980.134248
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

CSBM5 wrote: Oct 05, 2020 8:20 AM
A bit off the topic, but here's a link to an upload I also did of an Alpina Deko brochure I got from M&N from back in the day that might also be interesting to some here:

https://www.m5board.com/threads/scanned ... 980.134248
Also very cool! Unfortunately there isn't a recommended pairing for the bronzit beige- the misunderstood sibling.

Love this forum- wake up one of you old school guys and the info flows. Thanks again.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Oct 06, 2020 6:13 AMAlso very cool! Unfortunately there isn't a recommended pairing for the bronzit beige- the misunderstood sibling./quote]

Having been present "at the creation", I remember the first specifications BMW NA sent us on new colors describing the Bronzit Beige as "metallic white" and recommending blue as the interior color with it!