Anyone using maxilite wheels?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cyclist

Anyone using maxilite wheels?

Post by cyclist »

Is anyone running the maxilite wheels? Search functuion pulls up 1 group buy and 1 for sale ad before anyone chimes in and says to search(not trying to be harsh or anyhing. But have seen many times people say use the search function). I have a set on the way and am just wondering what the consensus is on them
Dana in Reno

Re: Anyone using maxilite wheels?

Post by Dana in Reno »

Did you ever get an answer to this? Or get the wheels?

I've been looking at them and didn't find any opinions on this board.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

Never got any feedback on the wheels but I did end up with a set. I have not mounted tires to them yet so I can not provide feedback. I did pm the gentleman that was selling a set and asked of his option and he had nothing bad to say about the set he had
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Here was my PMed reply to cyclist:

Actually, the quality of the Maxilite wheels that I received is pretty good. TUV certified (so they say) and finish was proper.

The center of the wheel (where the lug bolt holes are) is not completely flat, like the real Alpina wheels. The lug bolt holes are more recessed - as you should be able to tell from the photos on their website; sort of hard to describe. For that reason, I thought they looked better with the full covers. Those secure by a set screw that is then covered by a small cap that looks just like the Alpina cap that covers the locking mechanism on the real Alpina covered lug wheels. All things considered, a pretty fair knock-off that is affordable. I had a couple of my knowledgeable BMW buddies tell me that they thought these were the real thing at a casual glance.

I should also mention that these wheels can either be run as open lug or closed lug, even though the Maxilite website and ebay listings would lead you to think these are two different versions. The wheels come with both the full center caps and the black plastic caps to run as open, but neither set of caps comes with Alpina logos. You must source those separately.

Sold my set to bonsaibacker and he might have some opinion about these wheels at this point. HTH.

Regards,
Mike