The Look Back Quotient (LBQ) Thread

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cek

The Look Back Quotient (LBQ) Thread

Post by cek »

Look Back Quotient (LBQ) is a measure of how attractive a vehicle is to the vehicle's owner. A vehicle with a high LBQ will increase the owner’s propensity to look back at their vehicle after parking it.

https://www.lookbackquotient.com/

Thread Rules:

Post a reply with a picture of the vehicle you've owned with the highest LBQ and a picture of the vehicle you've owned with the lowest LBQ.

I'll start:

Highest: 1995 BMW 540i M-Sport

Lowest: 1982 Old Cutlas Cruiser Wagon in Beige (not actually my car, but representiative)
vinceg101

Re: The Look Back Quotient (LBQ) Thread

Post by vinceg101 »

Easy I suppose, for the Highest LBQ:
1985 M535i: The view from the rear quarters has always been one view I always look back on:
(That is the highly talented and indomitable photographer Helmut Werb in the foreground)

For the Lowest LBQ, it is kind of a toss-up since none of my previous cars come close to an E28 (or the E39 for that matter) so they're all at the bottom. The 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme was no charmer, but it was my first and holds a special place. My 1977 Toyota Celica ST was cute and kind of a Japanese classic and my 1988 VW Fox Wagon was unique, but no winner either.
But for totally forgettable, "don't-bother-to-turn-around-and-look-because-you're-not-missing-anything" ranking, the 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme takes the prize:
(Sorry not my actual one, any photos I have of that dog are analog archived in a storage box, but mine was black like this one)
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Some cars are so ugly or in such poor condition the LBQ goes back up. It's the cars in the middle that are truly boring and for that I nominate almost any current 4 door sedan. The only thing that might make you catch a second glance if the color is outside of the white/silver/gray monochromatic range that is so popular. So then I might LB to confirm to myself... "was that Japanese or Korean or American blandness in a bright color for a change?"

Now that BMW has made the New 4 godawfulugly up front I might look back to see if it was a BMW or Lexus grill that had fallen down to the ground.

The most LBQ vehicle I own now is my 88 M6 but when I was a younger lad it would have no doubt gone to my 72 442 convertible (that I should have kept but I'm an idiot).

I think the 80's BMW's (even my faded, worn and tattered 535) still get more second glances from strangers than other cars I've ridden in. Maybe it's disbelief they are still around?
RonW

Post by RonW »

tn535i wrote: Sep 01, 2020 3:44 PMSome cars are so ugly or in such poor condition the LBQ goes back up.
'86 535i with 585k miles, mismatched body panels, rust, rust, patches, and rust.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I have been on this site since day one, and still have not figured out how to post a picture from my files. Could someone post a link to a tutorial for dummies, please.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Highest: 1986 BMW 535i. I liked the way it looked stock, but the bumpers and Borbets really elevated the LBQ.

Lowest: 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse auto. I bought it for 700 bucks from a tow yard. It was a cheap commuter car that I drove for about 3 months before I got bored of it. At least my '98 200sx was a manual. I sold it for 700 bucks and used that money to buy my e28 :D
cek

Post by cek »

RetiredDoc wrote: Sep 01, 2020 10:47 PM I have been on this site since day one, and still have not figured out how to post a picture from my files. Could someone post a link to a tutorial for dummies, please.
In the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147488
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Been looking into image host, thanks.

HIGHEST

1968 MGBGT, British racing green, wire wheels, knock off hubs, and my first “foreign” car. Lost to advanced body cancer in 1983.

LOWEST

1969 Chevrolet Caprice 4 door, green with white vinyl roof, and my last American car except for pickups. Traded in on my second foreign car, a 1969 MGB roadster, British racing green.
cek

Post by cek »

This has a pretty damn high LBQ for me.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Oddly, I think I look at my truck more than anything else.

I'm not much for looking at cars. I prefer driving them.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

My 1983 911sc had a high LBQ.

My 1983 Chevy Citation, not so much.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

dsmith wrote: Sep 12, 2020 9:50 PM My 1983 911sc had a high LBQ.

My 1983 Chevy Citation, not so much.
Boy, talk about extremes. From a supermodel to a triple bagger. :oops:
cek

Post by cek »

Still in love.

Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

I was always thrilled when I saw my '83 320i. Had single headlight conversion, lowering springs and no bumper. It was lapis blue with no frills. Didn't care for the rearview but I was proud to call her mine.
1977 Plymouth van my parents let me drive in high school was my least favorite. Was embarrassed to be seen in it much less LBQ...