E28 m20 engine harness ring connectors...where do they go?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
blockerb

E28 m20 engine harness ring connectors...where do they go?

Post by blockerb »

So I’m getting my 1986 528e back together and there are a few connectors that I can’t figure out. On the Main engine harness that runs under intake manifold there are two ring connectors coming off the harness and I’m not certain where the go. Anybody have any idea?
blockerb

Re: E28 m20 engine harness ring connectors...where do they go?

Post by blockerb »

adding more info.....these are two ring type "eye" connectors that have three brown wires bundled on one and two brown wires bundled on the other. Best i can tell from the wiring guide for this model and year, these are ground connections, but not sure where they connect. closest place given their location would be the bottom bolt of the thermostat housing, but that doesn't sound right. the connectors are shown in the photo just above the cylinder shaped "sensor" that I'm holding. Also, anybody know what that thing i'm holding is for?

a

Post by a »

Those rings go on G102. IIRC, it is a stud, under or around the diagnostic port.
blockerb

Post by blockerb »

Thanks. I'll take another look. I'm assuming by "diagnostic port" you're referring to the round port with a plastic cap that is mounted to the intake near near the fuel pressure regulator.

Brice
blockerb

Post by blockerb »

Thanks. I'll take another look. I'm assuming by "diagnostic port" you're referring to the round port with a plastic cap that is mounted to the intake near near the fuel pressure regulator.

Brice
blockerb

Post by blockerb »

a wrote: Jun 28, 2020 10:20 PM Those rings go on G102. IIRC, it is a stud, under or around the diagnostic port.
Ok, took a good look and didn't find anything that looked like a ground location. Checked the electrical troubleshooting manual for my model year and it shows G102 as being "on the fender behind the LH headlight", which is the one right where the battery goes, so I know it's not that one which is too far away from my connectors. G103 seems like a more appropriate location, listed as "Above starter on engine block" but still seems like a reach for my connectors, which basically right around where the diagnostic port is located, but not long enough reach all the way back to the starter area of the engine block. I'm wondering if i can attach them to the same stud on the intake manifold that the wiring harness attaches to. Thoughts?

brice
blockerb

Post by blockerb »

Found this site that shows pretty clearly where G103 is located. As i thought, it's one of the studs on the underside of the intake manifold that the wiring harness brackets attach to.

tech/rods_pages/id22.html