May 2020 site & server updates!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
RonW

Re: May 2020 site & server updates!

Post by RonW »

tschultz wrote: May 29, 2020 5:58 PM Thanks for the hard work.

I enjoyed the custom code on the last version that showed "see lastest posts" and "view my threads" option that we used have. Any way to reactivate that function?
Justin_FL wrote: May 30, 2020 10:30 AM I'll probably add the "your topics" search, since that is nice.

Does the "new posts" function not do what you are expecting? It's under the quick links menu with the three bars in the upper left.
In Advanced Search (search.php) You can type your handle in the Author field and select the First post of topics only radio button. In your case clicking Search produces the URL search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=t ... mit=Search. It's not quite as handy as a My topics link, but you can make it a favorite in your browser if you want, which makes it even better - you can revel in the artistry of your own literary emissions with a single click, avoiding the proles' more prosaic prose. And you can do the same with anybody's topics, such as mine: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=R ... mit=Search.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

Upper left corner, "Quick links".

"Your posts" and "New Posts" are the first two options. I missed them at first, so I just want to point out that's there.

"Your topics" would be great if that can be added.
ahab

Post by ahab »

Is anyone else being asked to re-validate cookies every few days? I'm using Firefox 77.0.1. on Win7 and a few times a week the website reminds me of the importance of cookies and asks me to accept. It's not a problem in my view, and could be a local browser setting I guess, I just wanted to point it out.

Edit: The fact that other websites do not ask me this is probably an indicator that it's not the browser.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

my phone and desktop constantly remind me of the "cookies" issue, every day or two. both are apple devices. only happens on this website.

A
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I get the reminder about cookies every couple days. I'm on a Mac using Safari, if that matters.
e38740imd

Post by e38740imd »

stuartinmn wrote: Jun 19, 2020 10:55 AM I get the reminder about cookies every couple days. I'm on a Mac using Safari, if that matters.
same here. selecting got it never helps.

also can we a get a like button like on bimmerpost. there is alot of post that need to be appreciated

Post by 101200 »

if this is the general website complaint board, consider this: attempted login--accidentally hit "enter" instead of "shift"---did this once--thereafter, all (correct) login entries faile because of "too many login attempts" !!!!! ----tou ought to have a little more tolerance----mike (101200)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Any chance that we will see image hosting on mye28 sometime ?
jsedita74

Post by jsedita74 »

make it ez to post pictures please
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

For those requesting pictures, try using imgur.com -- it's quite easy.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Justin,

Gary Beck here in Atlanta. Cold today.

A guy just told me he tried to register his black on black M5 on the page I have for them.

He uses outlook email and said site would not accept his email.

Is that the norm?

Thanks,
Gary
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru

Post by Justin_FL »

M5BB wrote: Dec 17, 2020 3:59 PM He uses outlook email and said site would not accept his email.
Yes, it was the norm for new accounts as there were about 100 spam bot accounts a week using an outlook.com email addresses. That was a while ago so I removed the restriction for new registrations and will see what happens on the spam situation. I am manually approving accounts and giving them a day or two to wait and checking email and IPs manually, as the automated system doesn't always work well because the spammers will hit a bunch of forums very fast, before their data hits the blocking database.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Thanks, for the explanation.
Gary
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks for the hard work on the forum and keeping it up and running, but I do have a couple of issues.

When clicking on an external link, it takes you to the link instead of opening in a new tab like it used to.

It appears one can no longer delete a post? I believe formerly one could if no replies had been posted, but I'm not seeing any option for that now.

Any way to edit the title to give an update? Again, I believe we used to be able to do that.

Thanks!