In search for a better sound quality

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
sixseries

Re: In search for a better sound quality

Post by sixseries »

Agreed. If you're not doing a sub, there's probably not really a need for an true amplifier.
DariusPri

Post by DariusPri »

Funny thing is while doing all the harnesses I was left with solid white and red wires. Maybe someone knows what are they used for?
The Truth

Post by The Truth »

Hey all, I just started nosing around to see if anyone offers any under seat subs for e28, as I make them for the 2002. We just got our first e28 and I was eyeballing the back seat yesterday at a stop light and just thought to look around today.
I have gone so far as to pre build full harnesses for customers and they have flown me to their home to install the systems..
I may cast the cavity under the seat this summer and make a plug for laying up glass enclosures, but I need to see the space to gauge if its got enough volume... We just use a 6.5" or 8" for the 2002 as it is really just a mid-bass to fill in the thin audio of a two or four speaker system, amp under the one side enclosure on the other. You can run speaker wire to the high input of the amp, or use a modern deck with RCA outs.. it works very nicely in the 2002.

www.boltonbliss.com/products
Philo

Post by Philo »

this begs a question. If you're running external power amps should the head's internal amp be shut off ?
topher800

Post by topher800 »

The Truth wrote: Jan 13, 2021 2:08 PM I have gone so far as to pre build full harnesses for customers and they have flown me to their home to install the systems..
I may cast the cavity under the seat this summer and make a plug for laying up glass enclosures, but I need to see the space to gauge if its got enough volume...
There are several threads that include subwoofers under the rear seat, you can see a picture of the one I had made here (scroll about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way down):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69254&start=5000
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

In regards to the main topic of this thread, I'm running a Kenwood head unit with Polk 4x6s up front and 6.5s in the rear shelf, with an NVX QBUS8v2 powered compact sub under the rear seat. No pillar tweeters, though I've considered adding them for better front imaging. I'm generally quite happy with the sound.

One interesting observation I made is that the OEM front 4x6 grilles are absolutely horrid for sound quality. I replaced them with an aftermarket set of mesh grilles and the sound quality/imaging from the front 4x6s increased by an order of magnitude. So that may be something to look at if you feel that your stereo has good components but still kind of sucks.
Philo wrote: Jan 13, 2021 2:13 PM this begs a question. If you're running external power amps should the head's internal amp be shut off ?
There is not really any way to do so on typical head units, but it wouldn't be necessary anyway. If there are no speakers connected to the internal amp, it doesn't have any significant load, so it's essentially an inert signal.

RCA connections on head units bypass the internal amp by design and utilize only preamp voltage so that's not a concern either.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

I have one of the truth/boltonbliss under seat 02 sub boxes for the 6" jl series subs and he did a great job on the box. Would be great if he starts making them for the e28. I am in the mist of building a system for my e28. I am using a alpine cda-9887 for a source unit going to a Macintosh mc420 that will be powering focal es100k in the front and es130k in the factory performance pods on the rear deck. I have a 6.5" bass pump that I plan on installing unless I can get a sub under the rear seat (tried a focal all in one sub and it sounded ok)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

SlickDizzy wrote: Jan 14, 2021 11:03 AM

One interesting observation I made is that the OEM front 4x6 grilles are absolutely horrid for sound quality. I replaced them with an aftermarket set of mesh grilles and the sound quality/imaging from the front 4x6s increased by an order of magnitude. So that may be something to look at if you feel that your stereo has good components but still kind of sucks.
I'm not the audiophile I once was, and cars are noisy enough I mostly want good functionality, absolute sound quality is really no big deal. But your observation above makes so much sense just looking at it I can't believe I never saw that potential before. Duh, you mean a solid piece of plastic with some holes punched in it isn't acoustically transparent? :shock: I can't believe nobody has voiced that before, at least not that I've seen. :up:
BillW in StL

Post by BillW in StL »

I have been messing with e28 sound systems on a budget for decades, and have some observations:
  • The speaker grill issue never occurred to me.
  • I have had luck concentrating on good speakers in the front run off the headunit amp, and clean bass running through a separate amp.
  • Component front speakers with a real crossover.
  • Bazooka tubes under the rear seat were common back in the day.