Designed a cup holder to replace ashtray

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
kodachrome

Designed a cup holder to replace ashtray

Post by kodachrome »

Printing and priming now, 3d model looks like this. Interchangeable centre piece. Sized the former cigarette lighter for the threaded USB adapter that goes straight into the wiring harness you can get on Amazon. Screws right in!

Animation:
https://imgur.com/SmwRYmE
kojo96

Re: Designed a cup holder to replace ashtray

Post by kojo96 »

Boy, that's pretty cool, maybe you could put a link to the Amazon USB adapter to give people an idea that may not know of it, also creat an image of what it would look like in the location, replacing the ashtray, doesnt seem like they'd be room for something that would hold 2 cups of tequila.

Subscribed to this.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Impressive! I was a little puzzled by the cig lighter on the right side but of course you guys are RHD down there in NZ.
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

kojo96 wrote:Boy, that's pretty cool, maybe you could put a link to the Amazon USB adapter to give people an idea that may not know of it, also creat an image of what it would look like in the location, replacing the ashtray, doesnt seem like they'd be room for something that would hold 2 cups of tequila.

Subscribed to this.
I didn't actually buy my USB adapter on Amazon, but one like this:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/i-intent ... 1836581739

Or this one, which mine looks more like:
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGeek-A ... B07F73MGX8

Having a switch on it is likely a requirement on the e28 as the cigarette lighter is permanently powered.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Showing it in context to the entire center console/storing partition would be extremely helpful.
I too am with kojo96 on this and am not seeing how this would fit especially for cars with Air Conditioning.
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

I don't know about other cars and installed options, but here is a terrible photo of the first test print of the two parts. Loads of room for drinks (ie cups of coffee, cans of coke etc). I have aftermarket A/C on this car.

My primary project in this area right now is installing e36 MSport electric seats, this is just a nice to have when Im routing power out. I don't smoke so the stock ashtray is a pointless waste of space and the cigarette lighter a bit flakey too.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

That's kind of what I thought: it doesn't really look it would fit with factory AC (not without some serious reworking of your design).
With factory AC the whole ash tray module is sloped to align with the vent grilles:

I commend the idea and effort though :rockon:
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

vinceg101 wrote:
Ah yes I see now, an unexpected benefit of my peasent spec! :D

How tall is the opening on the AC ashtray? Can the grille be removed. If anyone has a an AC ashtray they don't want and sent it to me I could try make something for that too.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

kodachrome wrote:
vinceg101 wrote:
Ah yes I see now, an unexpected benefit of my peasent spec! :D

How tall is the opening on the AC ashtray? Can the grille be removed. If anyone has a an AC ashtray they don't want and sent it to me I could try make something for that too.
Don't know specific dimensions from my desk (I can find out this weekend, though).
This is the parts diagram for the AC cars:

You can see from Part #4 in the diagram, it is an integrated unit and would likely destroy it all if you tried to cut out the Ash Tray section below the grilles (not saying it can't be done, but it would take some practice and the right tools to achieve success).

In my photo I have the optional Storing Partition (pn: 72601942786) which replaces the standard Ash Tray.
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

kodachrome wrote:
kojo96 wrote:Boy, that's pretty cool, maybe you could put a link to the Amazon USB adapter to give people an idea that may not know of it, also creat an image of what it would look like in the location, replacing the ashtray, doesnt seem like they'd be room for something that would hold 2 cups of tequila.

Subscribed to this.
I didn't actually buy my USB adapter on Amazon, but one like this:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/i-intent ... 1836581739

Or this one, which mine looks more like:
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGeek-A ... B07F73MGX8

Having a switch on it is likely a requirement on the e28 as the cigarette lighter is permanently powered.
Saw this post at random and ordered the USB charger from Amazon (w/power switch) the very next day! It was a pain to remove all the dash stuff, but did a bit of house cleaning while I had everything apart. Works great so far. Great idea!
:haul:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^Well, since my wife broke my cigarette lighter socket (truthfully it was on its' way out anyway), I guess I will see about installing one of these in its' place.
osiskars

Post by osiskars »

Ooh sweet, are you selling the 3d model or printed item?