St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELADO!!!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Ray in Phoenix

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: 19th Annual Gathering in San Diego

Post by Ray in Phoenix »

Ay Corona!!!
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Maybe we should raffle off some BMW logo face masks...
TurboE28

Post by TurboE28 »

kojo96 wrote:Maybe we should raffle off some BMW logo face masks...
Say no more fam! I'm sure a leather BMW logo can be added. I heard that "behind the rear seat armrest" has the best quality of leather. :rofl:

kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

TurboE28 wrote:
kojo96 wrote:Maybe we should raffle off some BMW logo face masks...
Say no more fam! I'm sure a leather BMW logo can be added. I heard that "behind the rear seat armrest" has the best quality of leather. :rofl:

Hehehe, not exactly what i had in mind but hey, a couple look doable- by Friday night they may all look doable-
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Original post is updated with the look and feel you've come to expect from this event. If you look at it and go, "wow, I've read all of this before." Read it again. Little things change, some things need more emphasis than they've had in the past, it's a rich pageant of delicate balances.

FRIDAY PARTY DETAILS ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST. To reiterate, there will be donation boxes at both events. They are separate events with separate boxes, so plan accordingly.

Really the big thing to take note of is the raffle. We appreciate everyone's generosity as we are truly humbled by what you decide to bring along to make this little event closer to a break-even affair. That said, we want to give as many people a chance to view the offerings as we can so we ask nicely that you are timely with your donations and have them to Ray no later than 12:30pm PDT. It has gotten chaotic in years past and we even have a backlog of items we have held from last year as it simply wasn't feasible to include them, so bring lots of money for raffle tickets.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

The dates this year for our festivities are in March. They are Friday and Saturday, March 20th and 121st.
Please provide itinerary for March 21st through March 120th. I may need to extend my hotel reservations...
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I quit.
danix

Post by danix »

Dumb question - does anyone bring kids to this? Debating if I should bring my 13 year old. He'd be bored as heck, but we could go surfing. Guessing it's best to leave him at home...
C.J.

Post by C.J. »

Might have to ride one of the motorcycles down on Saturday.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

danix wrote:Dumb question - does anyone bring kids to this? Debating if I should bring my 13 year old. He'd be bored as heck, but we could go surfing. Guessing it's best to leave him at home...
Kids have been there before as have wife's and girlfriends. It is primarily an adult event, but aside from the alcohol and maybe some mild language, the event is pretty kid friendly.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

danix wrote:Dumb question - does anyone bring kids to this? Debating if I should bring my 13 year old. He'd be bored as heck, but we could go surfing. Guessing it's best to leave him at home...
If the kid is into cars he might find it interesting. It's possible he might find it fun to hang out with Dad at an adult gathering, or he might be bored to tears. All depends on the individual, but my guess is he'd be bored. 16 and a license maybe, 13, uh, I doubt it.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote:
If the kid is into cars he might find it interesting. It's possible he might find it fun to hang out with Dad at an adult gathering, or he might be bored to tears. All depends on the individual, but my guess is he'd be bored. 16 and a license maybe, 13, uh, I doubt it.
Agreed, while there have been kids there in the past, if I recall, they looked bored out of their skulls (same with some of the wives/GF's).
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

My girlfriend is coming this time, so be nice to her... She doesn't believe me that there are other fanatical e28 car nuts.
(Fake news?) Besides, I get to drink a few more cocktails than usual and not worry about getting pinched by the po-po..
pablo
TurboE28

Post by TurboE28 »

rochareels wrote:My girlfriend is coming this time, so be nice to her... She doesn't believe me that there are other fanatical e28 car nuts.
(Fake news?) Besides, I get to drink a few more cocktails than usual and not worry about getting pinched by the po-po..
pablo
Meet Cruz and I for the after hours on Sat. It's going dooowwwwwwnnnn!

https://oldschoolandrnbsaturdays.com/
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

Is this event still a GO? Bring your mask and hand sanitizer. :cry:
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

mask and hand sanitizer. :cry:[/quote]

What I'm bringing to the raffel- also have single use wipe and mask in ziplock baggies for $5.00 ea... Full body hazmat suits for the more serious minded people including the current t-shirt logos available but very limited quantities.
danix

Post by danix »

I've been wanting to come to this event for about 3 years now.
However, I'm wondering if we should cancel or postpone.
Not because of hysteria. Not because there's no toilet paper.
Because self-isolation seems to be the right thing to do. And some people coming from abroad like Ivo have no flights and won't be allowed in.
Even airbnb has now moved to allow full cancellations/refunds.
So, I will wait and see, but that's my two cents. I vote to postpone.
Ray in Phoenix

Post by Ray in Phoenix »

AY CORONA!
Postpone?
Nope in my opinion!
This whole thing is stupid, you are more likely to die driving down to SD!
UGH! I am so tired of hearing about it.....
Just my 2 cents.....
Ray in Phoenix
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

If you don’t feel comfortable at a get-together with roughly 50 like-minded people that don’t want to get sick, then you are free to postpone your participation another year.

Ivo is already in CA.

If I had to get on a plane to attend, that’s really the only thing that would give me pause. If you’re smart about washing your hands and touching your face (which you should be anyway!), then I don’t think you have much to fear. The people that are cleaning out retailers of various supplies are at a higher risk than a few people coming together at a couple of houses that are regularly cleaned. Can’t say the same for The Streets of San Francisco. A Quinn Martin production.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yep, I'm bailing out. :( Not happy about it. If I need to make a contribution to the funds to offset what's already been bought, by all means let me know. Our extremely generous hosts shouldn't bear any financial loss on us planning on attending, but not due to distinctly unforeseen circumstances. Hate to be a wimp about it, I think it's overblown, but maybe not.

Shit, I really enjoy the event and seeing everyone.
Ray in Phoenix

Post by Ray in Phoenix »

St. Paddy's day made it through the bird flu, ans SARS....
Well most of us did,
I forget who did not make it, but may they rest in peace....
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

I would assume organizers are checking with local authorities who issued permit if event will be allowed to proceed due to CDPH instructions. Be ashamed if those that will be coming a fair distance to be turned away at the door.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... .11.20.pdf

It does include OUTDOOR events.

It may be out of anyone's hands except authorities at this point and not open for debate.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

88m6 wrote:I would assume organizers are checking with local authorities who issued permit if event will be allowed to proceed due to CDPH instructions. Be ashamed if those that will be coming a fair distance to be turned away at the door.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... .11.20.pdf

It does include OUTDOOR events.

It may be out of anyone's hands except authorities at this point and not open for debate.
You may be under the mistaken assumption that this is anything more than a backyard BBQ; there is nothing "official" with any authorities. While those mandates from CDC shouldn't be ignored, they are still just precautions and recommendations. At this stage of the hysteria, we would assume that if someone is not feeling well (even if it's just a common cold) they would stay away.

And just how do you expect the state to enforce this against a private event? Hazmatted SWAT teams breaking down the doors? Yeah, that would go over well :roll: .

Everyone does realize that since January 1st, almost twice as many people have died in the US ALONE from auto accidents than the entirety of people from COVID-19 WORLDWIDE thus far, right?
Doesn't stop you all from getting behind the wheel every day, does it?
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

:tsk: it's a private get together, a bunch of folks hanging out at someone's house. Can't even remotely imagine anyone attempting to stop that.
STOP READING/WATCHING\LISTENING to the news... get a grip, practice good hygiene, a little common sense goes a long way on this.
One more thing, this virus isn't going away anytime soon, so unless you're planning on a major hermetically sealed hibernation you're probably more susceptible to coming in contact with someone who's infected (and they may not even know it) in your normal day to day activities without even leaving your home town.