St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELADO!!!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

St. Paddy's Day 2020: COVID-19th Anniversary ¡¡¡CANCELADO!!!

Post by wkohler »

UPDATE 4/22/20:There will be no event in San Diego this year. MORE INFORMATION HERE

IF YOU AGREED TO PURCHASE A T-SHIRT, PLEASE CONTACT vinceg101 TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are reading this message, you are one of an elite group of a select few appointed to participate in what has been known the world over as a get-together for those of class and substance. Unfortunately, that event was cancelled, so we have thrown this one together for you.

We have listened to the feedback from last year's location. We don't want to repeat the same problems so this year, we have decided to have it here:

(I'm getting very close to the end of the library of San Diego post cards.)

This year, the event will be Saturday, March 21st, which, for you calendar nuts, is actually after St. Patricks Day. There's one reason we did this. Half-price shamrocks. There will be a pre-party on Friday, March 20th.

After much work with focus groups and various national polls, we decided to do things differently this year. Follow along.

Around 9am on Saturday, we will go here:

That looks like this while we're in it:

Until this happens:

With Yar's diplomacy skills sure to get us kicked out, we will head here:

We will be all so excited, we can hardly contain ourselves.

Excited?

Friday Pre-Party Info!!
We are pleased to announce that we are having this years pre-party at none other than Carl Nelson's house (of La Jolla Independent fame). Carl has been a great contributor to our community (an E28 owner himself!) over the years and this year, has graciously offered his backyard for our party for the second year in a row. He has stunning views of Sea World's fireworks (there won't be any, but you should be able to imagine what they'd look like if they were there) and as always we will have great food with the help of Mike Burger (OcCoupe) and a that of course leads to a great time. If you have a favorite beverage and are afraid we won't, please bring it. There will also be a donation box at this event to help offset the costs. Last year, people didn't seem to pay much attention to this box so we will be reminding people throughout the evening. Keep in mind there will also be a similar but different box (likely still six sides with a slot on top but I might get feisty) on Saturday at Darin's, so plan your donations accordingly. The two parties are separately funded and produced so there is no mixing of funds.

Carl's house is about 5 miles or 15 minutes from Darin's house and as per normal in a San Diego neighborhood, parking is a little on the rough side, so if you can carpool as much as possible, that would be spectacular as we want to alleviate as much stress on the infrastructure as possible. Of course, it goes without saying that we need to be respectful and appreciative of not only Carl's house but also those of his neighbors, though that is par for the course with this group.

You can contact either wkohler or OcCoupe for Carl's address. Please leave the AmWay spiels at home.

For the out-of-towners that wish to join us, there are lots of lodging options within a reasonable distance of all three locations. Some are very expensive so shop around! When booking a reservation, please inform the desk that you're in town for the St. Paddy's Day BMW event. If you let them know that and present other eligible discounts, you should get a break on the room rate.

We have been very lucky over the years to have the generosity of our hosts who open their houses and supply more than enough consumables for us to have a great time. This does not come cheaply for them. Please be prepared to provide a donation which goes towards reimbursing THEM for the money THEY spend so we can all have fun. There will be a separate box at each event for this. For all the accounting enthusiasts, this means that if you donate on Friday, that does not cover your involvement in Saturday's activities and you should not decide to donate for both functions on Saturday. There has been confusion about this in the past, so hopefully it has been largely mitigated as of the end of this sentence. In addition to one of the largest selections of "adult beverages" this side of a liquor store, we always have great food as well, so it's a worthwhile donation.

On Saturday, there will be a raffle!
In years past, we have held a raffle in Darin's back yard, aka the Ashford Arboretum. In said raffle, various items (BMW-related or not) and experiences have been available to attendees with the coupon matching the winning ticket drawn. Items vary every year from E28 parts to an Amazon Echo. These items are sourced from generous attendees. If you're planning on attending and keep tripping over stuff like Alpina wheels, Hartge valve covers, BBS airdams or moonroofs (or is it moonrooves?), throw them in your trunk and bring them on down. The raffle helps cover costs associated with the event and is also wildly entertaining.
If your generosity extends to donating to the raffle, please have your raffle items to the raffle staging area (the garage in Darin's backyard) NO LATER THAN 12:30 PDT! We have several items left from last year that will be in the raffle this year. It was simply not feasible to get them properly displayed so people could deposit their tickets towards them

New last year, but continuing this year year on Saturday, Darin has arranged for dinner provisions in addition to a killer lunch. People often stay into the evening and our internal polling suggests that after a certain amount of time passes, people get hungry again, so instead of going out to eat as some have done, we will all be able to enjoy some excellent food from the comfort of Darin’s home.

Here are the menus for Saturday:

Drumstick & Ribs Lunch:
some sort of sides fitting to a drumstick & ribs lunch

Pulled pork dinner:
some sort of sides fitting a pulled pork dinner

Just a quick recap:

The dates this year for our festivities are in March. They are Friday and Saturday, March 20th and 21st.
The Friday party will be happening. Details coming in the next couple of days.
The meet at Mission Bay starts at about 9am on Saturday. It ends when they threaten to bring in the tow trucks.
After that's over, we head to MLastovo's house where the festivities go on for the remainder of the day.
Saturday Festivities include:
•Lunch - drumsticks and ribs
•Raffle - If you're donating please get your stuff to Darin's backyard garage by 12:30!
•????
•Dinner - Pulled Pork

That should cover the basics and GUMBALL.

Last edited by wkohler on Apr 22, 2020 11:47 PM, edited 8 times in total.
Mike W.

Re: St. Paddy's Day 2020: 19th Annual Gathering in San Diego

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks Chris, I was guessing the previous weekend. Which makes a difference as I tend to coordinate it with other stops. I doubt I'll have an interesting car to bring, but we shall see.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote:Thanks Chris, I was guessing the previous weekend.
I was thinking the same thing since the actual St. Padrick's Day is Tuesday the 17th, but it makes little difference I suppose.

At least this gives us an extra week from here to there to get ready. Changing my calendar now...
Last edited by vinceg101 on Dec 19, 2019 12:19 AM, edited 3 times in total.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The idea is we get a better deal on the decorations. You wouldn’t believe what you can get shamrocks for on the 18th.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Is it compulsory to attend in an E28?

I am looking at flying in from Nova Scotia for an E28 fix, as I seem to have the only E28's in this province, and it's been a long time since my last fix at Tedfest 2018.

Any advice and guidance welcomed.

Regards,

Mick
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Ordnator wrote:Is it compulsory to attend in an E28?

I am looking at flying in from Nova Scotia for an E28 fix, as I seem to have the only E28's in this province, and it's been a long time since my last fix at Tedfest 2018.
Not at all. I sold mine years ago. The only mandatory part is an interest in E28s or the people thereof.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

You don’t even have to be a human.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

Subscribed. My shop assistant and I would love to attend - just depends what work is looking like at that point.

AB
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

I was going to bring a raffle prize this year but I might as well just ship it to Yuma directly.

Edit:
As it turns out I have a commitment on this weekend and won't make it to SD. :bawl:
I'll miss seeing you west coast guys. At least Vintage is a go for me so maybe I'll see a couple of you there.
Last edited by Motronic on Dec 30, 2019 6:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

wkohler wrote:You don’t even have to be a human.
While I haven't actually seen him at St Paddy's day, Griff is a Mye28 member, and he is a dog.

http://www.mye28.com/memberlist.php?mod ... le&u=20356
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Room booked at the King's Inn off of Highway 8...

Note on lodging: If you want a hotel room, it may be tough to get a decent room for under $100 per night (I paid $95 plus taxes and fees which came to $214 for 2 nights). However, while perusing Expedia there are lots of "alternative" lodging (rentals, casitas, hostels) which looked pretty good and are well under $100. I'd suggest booking as early as possible if you know you're going to go.

The Four Points Sheraton was charging over $150 per day... :|
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Lodging in general, but especially for St Paddys day has just gotten crazy. Book it just right and get a screamin' deal. Do it wrong and bend over. Once upon a time calling the hotel directly could do some good, but now they don't seem to care if you're going thru a 3rd party at half the price they're quoting. For a while I used to try to go thru the hotel directly in the hopes that they would be competitive and help keep rates low if they were seeing 100% of it, not 80 or 90% or who knows what. But I guess if they don't care I don't care.

I'm looking at wrapping another place or two into the trip so it gets really complicated. Oh well.
TurboE28

Post by TurboE28 »

Kenny Blankenship wrote:The Four Points Sheraton was charging over $150 per day... :|
Damn, no kidding. Booked at the Four Points but ouch.
danix

Post by danix »

bookmarked.
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

Woo-hoo! Done deal!
:haul:
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I really should look into this again, as last time it was A BLAST !! -gonna miss my Daytona 24 hueres and The Vintage this year due to some of my past indiscretions, but somehow Kalivornia is on a different Data Base and I can maybe rent a car. . . even a hotel!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Designs for the new 2020 T-Shirts are underway. More later.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

vinceg101 wrote:Designs for the new 2020 T-Shirts are underway. More later.
Last year's choice of blue or gray (or both) was cool and much appreciated. Two-thumbs-up on that one.
cek

Post by cek »

wkohler wrote:You don’t even have to be a human.
Tell me about it

Julie booked our flights in September. Thank God for the right weekend.
Cgailbmr87

Post by Cgailbmr87 »

Would love to go! What is the general format in the past? Should I get a hotel for Both nights
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Will they feature a unicorn farting rainbows?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

davintosh wrote:
Will they feature a unicorn farting rainbows?
Aaaa...no. But we're not done yet.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Cgailbmr87 wrote:Would love to go! What is the general format in the past? Should I get a hotel for Both nights
Typically how many days you wish to partake is up to you and your schedule. For the first couple of years, I only came down for Saturday (leaving LA at O'Dark-thirty). Then I started staying overnight (family or hotel) and left Sunday morning/early afternoon; did that for a few more years. Then I started making it a Friday through Sunday afternoon thing (somewhere along the way I graduated to crashing at one of the two party houses). Last year was the first that I stayed over until Monday morning as I joined the ritual Italian dinner at Godfather's Sunday night. I will repeat that this year I thinkm(unless my work schedule prevents that).

Out of town folks will usually start showing up the few days before Friday or that morning. The NorCal and some LA area (me & El Guappo it seems lately) get a move on Friday morning from LA timed to avoid commuter traffic (Jay3 shows up at my house in LA Thursday night).

Friday: As mentioned everyone is usually just enjoying San Diego. The NorCal/SoCal Caravan (again, read me and ElGuappo) show up around noon or 1:00pm depending on traffic. There was/is traditionally a Friday night BBQ/get-together that was/is the intro & kick-off. This has been the Meet & Greet event for everyone, putting faces to names etc. It has also evolved from simple BBQ and Drink-A-Thon to a more family/spouse friendly evening party. (Last year was the ultimate iteration of this as it was hosted by Carl Nelson at his house).

Saturday AM: The actual St.Paddy's Day Meet starts whenever everyone gets to Mission Bay that morning. A lot of locals and near-locals make it early, but most of the hung-over crowd from Friday night roll in bleakly about 10:00am. We hang there for a few hours and/or until we are kicked out by The Man and head over to Darin's for the rest of the day.

Saturday Aft/PM: We all end up in Kearny Mesa at Darin's and start milling around and hanging. Afternoon brings a catered lunch, parts raffle, announcements and general GabFest. This goes on until no one can stand up anymore and/or stand each other but typically into the wee hours. Last year dinner was again catered (a first) since usually everyone is starving after Darin's cupboards have been picked clean, so it was a good idea to introduce dinner to avoid everyone staggering away hungry and drunk around 7'ish.

Sunday: An unstructured day since the only other semi-official event is the dinner around 6-7pm. Most everyone is leaving town (cars, airports, etc.) during the day, so there are only a smaller handful left.

Of course all this could change once Kohler posts the actual itinerary, but it usually doesn't deviate far from this. You can check out the past years' threads for more information.
danix

Post by danix »

Looking at hotels. Four Points charges $15/night for parking, so be aware of that.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Go here for the preview: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153364