OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
sixseries

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by sixseries »

travisj wrote: Oct 25, 2020 1:19 PM
sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 11:39 AM
Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
The locking strip is the 'trim' of which you speak. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Gotcha. Preacher, did you get the lower strip and the corner strips too? Or just reuse?
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
The locking strip is the 'trim' you speak of. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Yes sir. that is it!
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 2:27 PM

The locking strip is the 'trim' of which you speak. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Gotcha. Preacher, did you get the lower strip and the corner strips too? Or just reuse?
I reused my original pieces.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The new lower trim pieces do not fit so they’re a solid “Don’t Buy.”
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

benloveless1 wrote: Oct 24, 2020 5:46 PM To anyone following the status of these windshields:

I just called my local BMW dealer (Nashville, TN) and gave them the part number to the windshield. They said no availability now but Germany shows to have them November 3rd. We went ahead and put the order in so that BMW Germany would get it and I would be on the list. Because I work for a collision repair shop my cost was $255.82 and list was $370.95. I also asked if there was any special request for the windshield that she needed or would have to do and there were none yet.

Hope this helps someone!
Did this ever happen? I need a windshield, and BMW of Minnetonka, MN swears that there are zero in existence in the known universe.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 08, 2021 2:25 PMDid this ever happen? I need a windshield, and BMW of Minnetonka, MN swears that there are zero in existence in the known universe.
They were gone in the early fall. Not sure if a new batch showed up.
hellayego

Post by hellayego »

Relevant to this topic, my windshield was smashed by a rock last night while parked on the street.

I called Atlanta BMW Parts and the screens are on backorder until May he says. I can't wait that long to get a new screen as I need to use this car to get around. Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?

I'm located in LA.

Thanks folks
cek

Post by cek »

hellayego wrote: Jan 09, 2021 1:21 PM Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?
No. Not unless you want water leaking in over time.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Jan 09, 2021 1:41 PM
hellayego wrote: Jan 09, 2021 1:21 PM Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?
No. Not unless you want water leaking in over time.
If it's done right with lots of 3M glazing and bedding I don't think that's a real problem. Almost seems like the pros don't know how to do gasketed windshields anymore, just us amateurs.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Are the URO windshield seals good to use, or should I purchase a BMW seal? Any input on this from those who have used one?
Last edited by glowell222 on Jan 21, 2021 6:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

wkohler wrote: Jan 21, 2021 6:29 PM I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
Thank you. I didn't realize the original seal could be re-used.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

glowell222 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 6:48 PM
wkohler wrote: Jan 21, 2021 6:29 PM I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
Absolutely. I mean check it out, but if still soft and pliable and not cracked, it's definitely reusable. On the other hand, if it's hard, cracked and breaks when you bend it, you do need a new one.

URO does have a terrible reputation here, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. I had a URO front windshield seal in an E12, literally the same part, same part number as E28, and when I sold the car 12 years after installation it was just fine. YMMV.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 21, 2021 11:28 PM
glowell222 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 6:48 PM
Absolutely. I mean check it out, but if still soft and pliable and not cracked, it's definitely reusable. On the other hand, if it's hard, cracked and breaks when you bend it, you do need a new one.

URO does have a terrible reputation here, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. I had a URO front windshield seal in an E12, literally the same part, same part number as E28, and when I sold the car 12 years after installation it was just fine. YMMV.
Thanks Mike-good info and I think I will purchase one to have on hand just in case, and return it if not needed.