OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Blue Shadow

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by Blue Shadow »

23 Remaining per my contact at BMW dealer. Just looked it up. Now or never I think.
three5ives

Post by three5ives »

Ordered yesterday - no issues.
athayer187

Post by athayer187 »

athayer187 wrote:I ordered 51-31-1-848-431 from BMW of North Haven CT on Friday (online nonetheless, just to see what would happen) for $272.64. Got a confirmation today that it was shipping from Germany and would be there for pickup in 7-10 business days.
Ordered 3/6, picked up today (3/24). Not bad at all. Parts guy said someone else had one on order with no ETA due to logistics issues in recent weeks.
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Thanks guys for the information. I checked around, and there are a few dealerships that have access to the windshields. But they will only do local pickups. Hear in Atlanta area we can get them through atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports), for $250. That is a great price. Takes about 10 days to come in. Looking forward to getting mine replaced. Tired of the big crack in the middle of mine.
TCBimmer

Post by TCBimmer »

Today I ordered a replacement windshield through my local dealership. There weren't any issues with ordering and was billed $302.59 with a 2 week ETA.

Just an FYI for anyone on the fence... as of 3/26 there were only 18 (now 17) windshields still available.
mescko

Post by mescko »

I haven't been here for awhile, and I'm finding this thread rather confusing. Ivo had been ordering batches from Saint-Gobain and bringing in windshields for a few years now. What am I missing? I got mine when Seattime ordered a batch. Is there something special about 'Euro' Windshields? Why doesn't BMW AG just tell Saint-Gobain to start supplying them directly? Seems to me that would solve the whole thing. Or is this too logical?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

mescko wrote:I haven't been here for awhile, and I'm finding this thread rather confusing. Ivo had been ordering batches from Saint-Gobain and bringing in windshields for a few years now. What am I missing?
BMW did not allow that windshield into the US but found out that it is ok to sell here so they opened it up to sales here through two steps, one special order with special permission and then just adding it to the catalog, just as the thread reads but that is 4 pages of rambling. I doubt BMW will be placing an order for any more of these once they are gone and the isn't too far away. I don't know if there will be a source from Saint-Gobain when they are gone from BMW.
mescko

Post by mescko »

That is the source of my confusion. If Ivo can get windshields from Saint-Gobain, why can't BMW? The numbers of remaining stock that have been quoted aren't going to last long if this thread is any evidence, to which you have alluded.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

mescko wrote:That is the source of my confusion. If Ivo can get windshields from Saint-Gobain, why can't BMW? The numbers of remaining stock that have been quoted aren't going to last long if this thread is any evidence, to which you have alluded.
Scott: I would let Ivo speak to this directly but he hasn't tried bringing in windshields for a few years now (I think his last attempt was in 2017 or 2018 and that had mixed results since so many were lost in transit). I'm not sure the St.Gobain source is still viable (but again contact Ivo directly). Even if they were I'm not sure this is something Ivo has any interest in doing anymore due to the problems encountered last time and with distribution.

The beauty of US BMW dealers having these is nationwide availability and protection from damage & replacement (dealers assume responsibility for it if it comes to them damaged even if you paid for it already). The other upside is the relatively quick order fulfillment. But as noted it is a dwindling supply back in Germany and likely will not be replenished any time soon (or ever).
mescko

Post by mescko »

Hi Vince. I wasn't aware that Ivo hadn't done that recently or he had such problems last time. Not having properly-fitting windshields available is enough to give me pause about long-term ownership. I've got one to install, but only one.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

mescko wrote:Hi Vince. I wasn't aware that Ivo hadn't done that recently or he had such problems last time. Not having properly-fitting windshields available is enough to give me pause about long-term ownership. I've got one to install, but only one.
The first year he did it was pretty successful since he was shipping whole containers over. The second year was the issue since he tried shipping individual crates to different locales along his cross-country route. It was a cost issue as this was much cheaper than containers (he also didn't have a car to ship over I think); unfortunately those crates suffered a lot of damage in transit and he lost a lot of windshields. Again, I don't want to speak for Ivo so you can always reach out to him via email and ask the questions.

This is a common experience as Schmeidmann experienced the same thing when they tried shipping windshields to the US. After a bunch of failed attempts they stopped shipping them and subsequently tried to establish a distribution network here in the States (which may actually still be viable, but we all sort of dropped the idea once BMW opened the gates and starting filling the orders).

If I were you, I would go ahead a purchase one or two if you can; depending on how long you keep your E28 you will likely need another one if something happens and they will be a commodity so you can sell them down the line also.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

About to pick mine up. Said it came from a warehouse stateside. Wondering whether BMW sent a bunch over or not? How do I tell it is legit?
travisj

Post by travisj »

topher800 wrote:About to pick mine up. Said it came from a warehouse stateside. Wondering whether BMW sent a bunch over or not? How do I tell it is legit?
From where did you order it? I would like to get a bronze if available, but just a green band if not.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Gephardt BMW
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

travisj wrote:
topher800 wrote:About to pick mine up. Said it came from a warehouse stateside. Wondering whether BMW sent a bunch over or not? How do I tell it is legit?
From where did you order it? I would like to get a bronze if available, but just a green band if not.
I am pretty certain the bronze ones are NLA, but you will never be able to check with the US dealers since they don't have access to the EU database. To see if they are try checking with Schmeidmann (even though they can't/won't ship them anymore); you might get lucky with a very helpful parts person to see if they could contact BMW NA and Germany to see if they could sell you one. However, you would definitely have to have a EU VIN to pull that off, especially since the Green Banded one is now universal for US cars.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Picked it up. Sticker says from Stuttgart.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I ordered weeks ago and nothing. I did get a call saying that the delivery was delayed due to closed businesses and I don't know where I'm going to put it so I'm good that it isn't ready for pick up yet.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

I ordered a couple weeks ago. They called Monday and said it arrived..."looking like a truck ran over it", and would have to reorder. They called back today saying new one was here. In both cases dealer said it was shipped to them from inside the US, and thought a batch had been shipped to the US.
travisj

Post by travisj »

topher800 wrote:Gephardt BMW
Thanks. I just ordered through their website. We'll see what happens.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I ordered one today too. Thank you, HayekFan!
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Good to see these orders going smoothly! Sounds like BMW shipped in a container of windshields from Germany for distribution here. That should make fulfillments even faster. I wonder how many remain at this point.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

HayekFan wrote:I wonder how many remain at this point.
Currently:
Four in Minooka, IL, and five in Nazareth, PA.
If I"m reading this correctly, there may be another seven at the CDC in Dingolfing.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nazareth, PA is the warehouse that my local dealer is working with providing some rock bottom pricing. It's a trial by the dealer, the way the warehouse delivers to the customer the order processing and large order if necessary. I could have had the windshield shipped for 230 or picked up for a 20 delivery to the dealer fee. Nazareth is moving product and some dealers are handling the customer interface at good prices.
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Just picked up mine today from Santa Fe BMW.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Blue Shadow wrote: I could have had the windshield shipped for 230 or picked up for a 20 delivery to the dealer fee.
Maybe I misunderstood but your dealer shouldn't have to pay any fee to get parts from any BMW NA parts depot. :dunno: