OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Blue Shadow

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by Blue Shadow »

I don't think I've been charged that fee,yet. Might be the dealership charging. I'll know more when I pick it up. Can't complain, it's about the lowest price I've seen in this thread.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Now they're showing 12 in the USA and still 7 at CDC. Yours is a good price. Don't worry, they're still making a profit!
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Mine finally arrived, I order it thru Blunttech on Feb 20th.. I paid 297.00 ..
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

BMWCCA2 wrote:Now they're showing 12 in the USA and still 7 at CDC. Yours is a good price. Don't worry, they're still making a profit!
I wonder if this will be it like when the Parts Pimp used to burn thru all BMW stock on things like sunshades and they'll just be gone forever, or if they'll commission more since they're selling and they don't make them themselves?
WVe28

Post by WVe28 »

One less for the masses. Just ordered mine from my local dealer.
JWT

Post by JWT »

....and another one gone! another one bites the dust!
Tulsa6

Post by Tulsa6 »

Ordered one today and was told system was showing 8 left; so now 7?
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Currently showing only 5 left in USA and none at the CDC, though it does indicate "on order" which may mean the 7 that were in Dingolfing are en route to the USA. Don't know. Parts is about the only job I've not held at a dealership.
WVe28

Post by WVe28 »

I got mine in two days. Not sure about myself, but my car should definitely feel stimulated by my stimulus bucks. Behold...BMW solid gold (or may as well be) B35 oil pump and Saint-Gobain windshield.

stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

A similar thing, yet it's different...last fall, the U-joint on the steering shaft in my 325iX started binding up. I had my local independent repair shop order one, but they were on back order. I just got a call yesterday that it's finally arrived from Germany.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

WVe28 wrote:I got mine in two days. Not sure about myself, but my car should definitely feel stimulated by my stimulus bucks. Behold...BMW solid gold (or may as well be) B35 oil pump and Saint-Gobain windshield.
An oil pump and a windshield? Man, how many stimulus checks are you getting?
WVe28

Post by WVe28 »

Mike W. wrote:An oil pump and a windshield? Man, how many stimulus checks are you getting?
Well, y'know... I'm blessed to still be receiving my paychecks I suppose. My running e28 parts spreadsheet just surpassed $10k over the past two years. :shock:
Stan Darsh

Post by Stan Darsh »

Picked up 2 yesterday, BMW of Chattanooga, $546.25. Thanks to mye28 members that made this possible. Its good to know I will not have to put an old windshield in my restoration.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

WVe28 wrote:
Mike W. wrote:An oil pump and a windshield? Man, how many stimulus checks are you getting?
My running e28 parts spreadsheet just surpassed $10k over the past two years. :shock:
Ha, lightweight.

;)
chuuey

Post by chuuey »

Wanted to post here first. I unfortunately lost my car shortly after delivery to a fire, so my new windshield is no longer needed.

I will be posting it for sale. I payed $302 and would like to get $275. It is currently at the dealership, so local pickup near Boston, MA would be necessary unless you can work something out with them for shipping.

Feel free to message me- if I do not hear anything I will be posting it up in the classifieds.

This is no longer available. Thanks!

-Matt
Last edited by chuuey on Jun 05, 2020 1:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.
neill

Post by neill »

Darn - found this thread a tad too late. Just heard back from my contact at Calgary BMW. Germany shows zero stock, none in Canada.

I'm not sure if his system can see US quantities or not. If there are any left there, grab em while you can!
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Looks like 13 windshields still available in the USA.
BluntTech

Post by BluntTech »

We have one left in 55391 if anyone is looking.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

down to 9 per Anthony at Otto's BMW where they are holding one for me. Plus the one that Bluntech has so we have a full double digits left in existance with some showing up in Parts for sale at times.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

51 31 1 848 431
is the part number under discussion here, for those who can't find it at the beginning of this thread.

This morning BMW NA shows 12.
6 in Nazareth
5 in Jacksonville
1 in Minooka
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

I finally drove up to SCR and they replaced the windshield and lock strip while I hung out in a park in Plainville and worked. They were also kind enough to remove my A/C compressor; now I have to figure out how to get the seal replaced...

This was a 2-year project to find a factory windshield, and in the end, the only reason I was able to get a windshield without paying $1000 or going through insane shipping gyrations, was because BMW NA relented and started providing windshields to the American market. But who knows how long this will last.

The good news is that when they had it all apart, considering they're a restoration shop, I asked them to make sure there was no rust, and I am pleased to learn (not at all surprised, but still happy) that the paint under the rubber seal shined like new paint just like everywhere else on this car.

It is SO NICE to be able to see out my windshield. Like new tires or shocks, I feel like I'm in a brand new car again! Many thanks to everyone here who helped push the issue!!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

garageboy wrote: Jun 20, 2020 2:54 AM They were also kind enough to remove my A/C compressor; now I have to figure out how to get the seal replaced...
Jay Stratton (JCS here) does a “leak rebuild” on the various types of compressors. Might be worth it.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This was a 2-year project to find a factory windshield, and in the end, the only reason I was able to get a windshield without paying $1000 or going through insane shipping gyrations, was because BMW NA relented and started providing windshields to the American market. But who knows how long this will last.
We all know it will last about another dozen windshields and they will be gone for good.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Blue Shadow wrote: Jun 20, 2020 2:46 PM
We all know it will last about another dozen windshields and they will be gone for good.
Most likely. They might make more, especially since it doesn't appear BMW is actually making them, but probably not.

I've still got a used spare if anyone wants it. :laugh:
Discslinger

Post by Discslinger »

jay Stratton doesn't seem interested in answering emails... I'd look elsewhere