OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
sixseries

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by sixseries »

travisj wrote: Oct 25, 2020 1:19 PM
sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 11:39 AM
Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
The locking strip is the 'trim' of which you speak. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Gotcha. Preacher, did you get the lower strip and the corner strips too? Or just reuse?
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.
I can’t find the locking strips on ECS? Do you happen to have a link? Also, how did the URO seal fit? Any leaks so far?

So did you not buy the trim (polished) that goes all the way around the window (and that I think is 2 pieces), and just bought the locking strips (the small bottom corner pieces)?
The locking strip is the 'trim' you speak of. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Yes sir. that is it!
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

sixseries wrote: Oct 25, 2020 2:27 PM

The locking strip is the 'trim' of which you speak. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311820622/
Gotcha. Preacher, did you get the lower strip and the corner strips too? Or just reuse?
I reused my original pieces.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The new lower trim pieces do not fit so they’re a solid “Don’t Buy.”
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

benloveless1 wrote: Oct 24, 2020 5:46 PM To anyone following the status of these windshields:

I just called my local BMW dealer (Nashville, TN) and gave them the part number to the windshield. They said no availability now but Germany shows to have them November 3rd. We went ahead and put the order in so that BMW Germany would get it and I would be on the list. Because I work for a collision repair shop my cost was $255.82 and list was $370.95. I also asked if there was any special request for the windshield that she needed or would have to do and there were none yet.

Hope this helps someone!
Did this ever happen? I need a windshield, and BMW of Minnetonka, MN swears that there are zero in existence in the known universe.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Jan 08, 2021 1:25 PMDid this ever happen? I need a windshield, and BMW of Minnetonka, MN swears that there are zero in existence in the known universe.
They were gone in the early fall. Not sure if a new batch showed up.
hellayego

Post by hellayego »

Relevant to this topic, my windshield was smashed by a rock last night while parked on the street.

I called Atlanta BMW Parts and the screens are on backorder until May he says. I can't wait that long to get a new screen as I need to use this car to get around. Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?

I'm located in LA.

Thanks folks
cek

Post by cek »

hellayego wrote: Jan 09, 2021 12:21 PM Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?
No. Not unless you want water leaking in over time.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Jan 09, 2021 12:41 PM
hellayego wrote: Jan 09, 2021 12:21 PM Are there any acceptable aftermarket solutions for front windsheilds?
No. Not unless you want water leaking in over time.
If it's done right with lots of 3M glazing and bedding I don't think that's a real problem. Almost seems like the pros don't know how to do gasketed windshields anymore, just us amateurs.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Are the URO windshield seals good to use, or should I purchase a BMW seal? Any input on this from those who have used one?
Last edited by glowell222 on Jan 21, 2021 5:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

wkohler wrote: Jan 21, 2021 5:29 PM I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
Thank you. I didn't realize the original seal could be re-used.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

glowell222 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 5:48 PM
wkohler wrote: Jan 21, 2021 5:29 PM I recommend using the original seal unless it’s damaged. The Uro seals are terrible and the new BMW ones aren’t much better.
Absolutely. I mean check it out, but if still soft and pliable and not cracked, it's definitely reusable. On the other hand, if it's hard, cracked and breaks when you bend it, you do need a new one.

URO does have a terrible reputation here, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. I had a URO front windshield seal in an E12, literally the same part, same part number as E28, and when I sold the car 12 years after installation it was just fine. YMMV.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 21, 2021 10:28 PM
glowell222 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 5:48 PM
Absolutely. I mean check it out, but if still soft and pliable and not cracked, it's definitely reusable. On the other hand, if it's hard, cracked and breaks when you bend it, you do need a new one.

URO does have a terrible reputation here, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. I had a URO front windshield seal in an E12, literally the same part, same part number as E28, and when I sold the car 12 years after installation it was just fine. YMMV.
Thanks Mike-good info and I think I will purchase one to have on hand just in case, and return it if not needed.
ThaiTalion

Post by ThaiTalion »

Called BMW part center in Fairfax Va and they couldn't get me a front windshield, said they were all out of stock and NLA.....They do however, have 180 rear windshields. So I ordered one.

In a different forum a guy used safelite and said he didn't have any issue with leaks. Can anyone confirm they have tried another source?

Want to know before I purchase a used one from across the world.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

ThaiTalion wrote: Feb 24, 2021 2:43 PM Called BMW part center in Fairfax Va and they couldn't get me a front windshield, said they were all out of stock and NLA.....They do however, have 180 rear windshields. So I ordered one.

In a different forum a guy used safelite and said he didn't have any issue with leaks. Can anyone confirm they have tried another source?

Want to know before I purchase a used one from across the world.
The Safelite windshields are the typical Chinese units with wrong corners, but the bigger issue with Safelite is the technicians that don't know how to remove and install old-school floating glass correctly.

There was a Safelite horror story thread on the E28 Facebook group a year or so ago, apparently the inexperienced techs just attack the seals with a knife and then pump sealant in when the aftermarket glass doesn't fit tight, many users had bad things to say and one had to take them to court over the damage they caused if I recall correctly.

Even here you will find many bad comments on Safelite if you look for them: viewtopic.php?p=1363626#p1363626
ThaiTalion

Post by ThaiTalion »

Thank you.

I posted in the FB group asking about a windshield replacement and I think that guy shared his story with me. Told me Safelite butchered the job a few times over and was never right. He told me to reach out to glassfinders, who was able to find me a replacement about an hour away.
MShimon

Post by MShimon »

Just to update everyone, I called BMW Seattle (local to me), and they stated that QTY 51 windshields (51-31-1-848-431) are on backorder in Germany. He stated the lead time is approximately August 2021 with shipping to US in about mid-September. He quoted me a price of $352.88. I hope to snag one of these this summer. Cheers.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

MShimon wrote: Jun 21, 2021 2:39 PM Just to update everyone, I called BMW Seattle (local to me), and they stated that QTY 51 windshields (51-31-1-848-431) are on backorder in Germany. He stated the lead time is approximately August 2021 with shipping to US in about mid-September. He quoted me a price of $352.88. I hope to snag one of these this summer. Cheers.
This is good to hear.
Did they say that BMW NA will receive the 51 units from Germany to be distributed when ordered or did you actually place an order?
douglasM5

Post by douglasM5 »

I placed an order on June 2, 2021 for an e28 windshield with BMW of Austin because their website said they had the windshield in stock. This was their reply the following day:

"Thanks for placing your order on BMW of Austin. In order to ensure you receive the correct part for your vehicle we need you to verify your VIN. Please provide your VIN for order #1911 placed on June 2nd. The part number that you provide us is on backorder in Germany and we don't have an ETA on when we will receive it it could be as soon as 8/5/2021 up to 8/20/2022."

I called BMW of Austin and was told they really have no idea when the windshield would be shipped. I canceled the order and asked for a refund on my credit card.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

I ordered a new windscreen in January. They said it may be June before it arrived, and I was fine with that. Still haven't received it, but it's still June. Not in any hurry at all to pull the old front and rear screen, install a new headliner and crack-free dash, and put in the new glass. Dreading all of it, in fact.
MShimon

Post by MShimon »

vinceg101 wrote: Jun 21, 2021 4:21 PM This is good to hear.
Did they say that BMW NA will receive the 51 units from Germany to be distributed when ordered or did you actually place an order?
Hi Vince,

I'm not sure of the specifics, this may be a worldwide run not only US bound. I did not ask this question. I was going to actually place an order later this summer just to get it on the books. Thanks.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

MShimon wrote: Jun 27, 2021 11:04 PM
vinceg101 wrote: Jun 21, 2021 4:21 PM This is good to hear.
Hi Vince,

I'm not sure of the specifics, this may be a worldwide run not only US bound. I did not ask this question. I was going to actually place an order later this summer just to get it on the books. Thanks.
It's likely a worldwide total like they did last time so the pool exhausts pretty quickly. Keep in touch with the dealer to see when it shows up in the system as available along with the actual total and then jump on it.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

BMW NA shows no availability, none on backorder, and none in Germany, only "CDC Est. Date: 08/03/2021"
douglasM5

Post by douglasM5 »

Yesterday I ordered an new e28 windshield from BMW of Fairfax through their website. They took my order but today I received this email from them:

Unfortunately the requested part number 51311848431 is no longer available to order. If you pre-paid via Pay Pal link your account will be credited back to you. Please allow your financial institution the allotted time for the credit to process.

Might anyone have a new OEM windshield on order with BMW? I just had an aftermarket one installed and it leaks.

Doug