OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

Re: OEM Windshields Now Available Through BMW

Post by wkohler »

Discslinger wrote: Jun 29, 2020 2:03 PM jay Stratton doesn't seem interested in answering emails... I'd look elsewhere
Neat.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

3 windshields remaining. I'm a little surprised they've lasted this long.
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.

Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Preacher's 5 wrote: Sep 17, 2020 3:18 PM Hey guys, I purchased a new windshield through www.atlantabmwparts.com (Global Imports Atlanta). Ordered directly from the website, $290, local pickup only. Took about 10 days to get it. Windshield - BMW (51-31-1-848-431). Got the locking strips and seals from ECS; the Windshield Seal for $40, URO brand. Locking strip is $113. Wayne Lins (Lins Specialty Automotive, Lawrenceville, GA) did the install for me. Turned out real nice.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
gino

Post by gino »

As of today Oct 9, there are only 2 left according to BMW of San Antonio. I just ordered mine so that makes 1 left. I had my car painted this week and the body shop destroyed mine. I just found this thread yesterday and I was crying and praying they had some left! Hopefully it gets here in one piece. This forum has been awesome throughout my 2 year refurb of my car.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Just picked up one of the last 2 in Jacksonville FL. Seems they have marked up the price. Now it is $347.
gino

Post by gino »

Yep, they said they were in Jacksonville. I hope my order goes through ok, I did pay already. And yes, price did go up.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Well, the system is now showing none left. But, there's an interesting note saying 60 are set to be delivered to BMW Germany by "the manufacturer" with an ETA of Nov. 3. So possibly more in the pipeline?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Go figure. Oh well.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

If they don't make it and it's selling, it a relatively easy call, no tooling or anything, doesn't slow anything else down, just place an order. But that doesn't guarantee they'll even be made by the same manufacturer to the exact specifications. Think heater valves. The price may change also.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

wkohler wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:30 PM Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
Why wouldn't you have all four windshields packed together in ONE gigantic box? ;)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

garageboy wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:38 PM
wkohler wrote: Oct 14, 2020 7:30 PM Sadly I’ve got four gigantic boxes sitting in my living room expecting these to be NLA. At least I don’t have to worry about having the windshields I need.
Why wouldn't you have all four windshields packed together in ONE gigantic box? ;)
And someplace besides your living room? Well, that's Chris. :up:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Who uses the living room? I'd have put them in the back bedroom with the other parts but the boxes wouldn't make it around the corner. I've decided to leave them alone for now since they're not hurting anything, but long term, they might get in the way. It only took five years to get some windshields so I am happy to have them. I'm sure the Arizona Highway Patrol is excited I got some too.
cek

Post by cek »

For those trying to store their Windshield hoards: I I have been storing auto glass and some windshields on the floor, leaning against the wall. This is not the way to do it. I already had one brand new OE BMW E28 windshield break because of this.

To address this, I bought a glass holder on Amazon and fabricated a bracket:

OAG Windshield Protection Auto Glass Truck Cargo Management Rack (5 Lite Slots Rack)

Now I they are safe and secure and I have more room for my wheel fort.

Nosis

Post by Nosis »

That rack is super cool, as would be expected from a purpose-designed rack.

I picked up with a nice-used bronze windshield the same day my new windshield arrived. With two windshields around, I quickly realized how sketchy it is to store glass, so I spent $15 at Home Depot and made this from .5” pvc... For those whom may consider doing the same, a design flaw in mine is that it needed to be set-off the wall a few inches to allow for the curvature of the glass when sliding them in.

BTW, each rack is attached to a stud with 2 screws...

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Nosis wrote: Oct 15, 2020 11:39 AM That rack is super cool, as would be expected from a purpose-designed rack.

I picked up with a nice-used bronze windshield the same day my new windshield arrived. With two windshields around, I quickly realized how sketchy it is to store glass, so I spent $15 at Home Depot and made this from .5” pvc... For those whom may consider doing the same, a design flaw in mine is that it needed to be set-off the wall a few inches to allow for the curvature of the glass when sliding them in.

BTW, each rack is attached to a stud with 2 screws...
Nice looking setup. I've got a windshield and rear windshield (both for sale, cheap, used, local pickup only) hanging from the rafters in my shed. So far they've weathered 10 years there unbroken, but without a car they fit I need to reclaim the space.