Blaupunkt reissuing Bremen head unit w/modern features

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Philo

Re: Blaupunkt reissuing Bremen head unit w/modern features

Post by Philo »

So then, which brands have remained quality and performance based ? The last Pioneer DEH head unit I purchased performed well, but now looking for a replacement. Typing "best car stereo head unit" into google take you down the never ending rabbit hole and non stop re-targeting adverts. Dam..
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

Pretty much everything electronic is made in China or southeast Asia these days so if that's a disqualifier, just rip your stereo out and go without.

For solid $150-300 units I have always been a fan of Kenwood and JVC products. Pioneers are fine too. Clarion used to have a lot of great offerings but now seems to be a shadow of their former self.

This is all relative though. If you're the uncompromising type and looking for quality and performance at any cost, there are plenty of $1500+ options from McIntosh, Sony, etc...

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Are there any good "hidden" systems that you could put in (say) the ash tray and leave your old/OE radio in place just for appearances?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Shawn D. wrote:Are there any good "hidden" systems that you could put in (say) the ash tray and leave your old/OE radio in place just for appearances?
Out Of Sight Audio & RetroSound are two I've heard of.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

John in VA wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:Are there any good "hidden" systems that you could put in (say) the ash tray and leave your old/OE radio in place just for appearances?
Out Of Sight Audio & RetroSound are two I've heard of.
I've seen those used by a number of folks in the Tri-Five Chevy community, but I dunno how they stack up audiophile-wise.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Just saw this one posted in a similar discussion on the Grassroots Motorsports hard: A Dual head unit that's round and fits in a 3" diameter hole, similar to an aftermarket gauge. It is a marine radio but it does run on 12 volts, not 24 volts like many other marine units. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-k6ctRaCpu ... MGH20.html The reviews aren't all the greatest, though, and the specs indicate it's not the highest of hi-fi. :) Still, an interesting concept.
cek

Post by cek »

stuartinmn wrote:Just saw this one posted in a similar discussion on the Grassroots Motorsports hard: A Dual head unit that's round and fits in a 3" diameter hole, similar to an aftermarket gauge. It is a marine radio but it does run on 12 volts, not 24 volts like many other marine units. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-k6ctRaCpu ... MGH20.html The reviews aren't all the greatest, though, and the specs indicate it's not the highest of hi-fi. :) Still, an interesting concept.
No bluetooth. Lame.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

I really like the concept of that Dual stereo but god the execution is hideous.
jca

Post by jca »

Sad, just sad, the demise of Blaupunkt. I always enjoyed pronouncing the name.
rlfletch

Post by rlfletch »

Really, Blaupunkt's demise shouldn't be surprising given the complete collapses of the aftermarket car audio market. I am surprised they are making this model, even at that price. It may not be Audiophile quality but really, who needs that in our old, noisy cars? Since I spent way too much on authentic BBS wheels I will be spending too much on this to complete the picture. I'm sure it will be the very last "upgrade" for my car. :roll:
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

rlfletch wrote:Really, Blaupunkt's demise shouldn't be surprising given the complete collapses of the aftermarket car audio market. I am surprised they are making this model, even at that price.
Agreed 100%. In 10-15 years' time we will be lucky if there is an aftermarket car audio market at all, bar none.

Auto manufacturers seem committed to getting as far away from the classic DIN standards as possible, and with the level of vehicle integration in the typical head unit these days the only "audio upgrade" possible may be to swap out the speakers. A few car audio companies are playing around with solutions that keep the OEM screens but run new back-end hardware & software to provide new functionality, but time will tell if that's accepted by the marketplace (or if they even work well).
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

The Blaupunkt looks like it could be a good choice has anyone actually been able to purchased one?

I keep an eye out on these discussions trying to decide what if anything I ever put in my M6 where the old unit won't even accept the code anymore. I'd chose USB+BT over CD and care less about keeping original with tape. I thought tape was something 30 years ago and still have a higher end Alpine lurking somewhere in the basement that I kept to eventually go in my 2002. The 2002 that is still in pieces after 30 years :laugh: There was a time Nakamichi had some near period correct choices with CD but just as soon as they added BT+USB to their stuff it looks like rebranded Kenwood or JVC or whatever so who cares. There were also some Jensen 'Heavy Duty' radios that looked like they might fit the aesthetic at one point.

If I had to choose today it would probably be one of the Continental units.
cek

Post by cek »

BTW, if someone wants one of the Continental units but doesn't care about bluetooth, I've got one for sail, cheap. I screwed up and accidentally ordered the sans-Bluetooth version on ebay and can't return it. It's identical to the other one except it doesn't come with a remote mic, has no built-in mic, and doesn't support BT.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

tn535i wrote:The Blaupunkt looks like it could be a good choice has anyone actually been able to purchased one?
According to this site they are shipping Sept. 1: https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/clas ... 46-dab-bt/
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

cek

Post by cek »

Can't tell if it supports any of the lossless BT protocols (eg aptx). If not, I will be disappoint.

But I will still buy
rlfletch

Post by rlfletch »

Double posting for people who may not be on the other thread. Installed today:
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Nice and as period correct as possible ! Are you bypassing the old BMW amplifier and just running off the head unit?
rlfletch

Post by rlfletch »

The previous owner had created quite the rats nest of wiring+scotch locks behind the previous head unit and installed a small Blaupunkt subwooofer box under the rear deck. Myself and the installer went through testing wires and cutting out those that didn't seem to make a difference. All this to say I really don't know although I think so. At some point I will replace the speakers and redo the wiring all together. At that time I will run them off the head unit and put a new, powered subwoofer box in. For now I am just enjoying the sublime look of it.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Are you happy with the function of everything? There are USB and SD card slots under the stealth tape slot, right ? and my wife would find the bass and treble cleft symbols for tone control very musical.

I put a newer unit in a 91 e30 we had with premium audio for my daughter. It was a mess of wires but at least it had ground wires for each channel IIRC instead of the older cars with shared grounds. The schematics are out there and I simply followed wire colors at the head unit then at the amplifier undoing the connector there and patched all the speaker wires straight through, eliminating the amp. Purists would insist on all new wires and say that's not good enough but it actually sounded just fine with the stock speakers, which are OK for the average listener. I would certainly upgrade everything including the power to the head unit if replacing it all. The radio in my 5 still sometimes restarts when I apply the brakes, another little quirk of the e28.

I think I need to order one for the M6.

Thanks for sharing
rlfletch

Post by rlfletch »

Yes, under the door there are SD, USB, and auxiliary ports. There is also a USB connection on the back to run a remote connection. The function is all good so far if a bit byzantine due to the complexity of the programmable options. I didn't intend to do much more now but can hear the current speakers are woefully inadequate, even for my limited needs. I'm ordering a set of low end Focals to replace front and back components. Eventually a new self powered sub box will fit under the rear tray as well.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I saw what the box looked like today. I guess I have to order one now.
cek

Post by cek »

Just found this today: A potential software update for the BREMEN SQR 46.

https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/service ... %5D=single

As soon as I get Minerva back I plan on trying to update this. Hopefully it fixes what I think is a near fatal flaw in this head unit: You have to reenable BT as the source every time it powers on. Other than that, I think I dig it.
cek

Post by cek »

cek wrote: Aug 13, 2020 12:21 AM Just found this today: A potential software update for the BREMEN SQR 46.

https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/service ... %5D=single

As soon as I get Minerva back I plan on trying to update this. Hopefully it fixes what I think is a near fatal flaw in this head unit: You have to reenable BT as the source every time it powers on. Other than that, I think I dig it.
VICTORY!!!!!

I followed the instructions found in the ZIP file linked above and upgraded the firmware on my SQR 46. Now it REMEMBERS BLUETOOTH!!!!

The update also gave the RGB color settings 16 per RG and B instead of 8. Big deal.

Very Nice!

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Thanks for the update, cek! What's your overall evaluation of the unit so far?