Utah

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cek

Re: Utah

Post by cek »

Vlad was supposed to be delivered early last week. I was supposed to fly back to Seattle Friday eve.

The shipping company fu*ked me and I had to cancel my flights this weekend and stay in Salt Lake so I could receive Vlad yesterday. Yesterday turned into 8pm yesterday. But the car is finally here and it came through unscathed.

I made lemonade out of the lemons of not getting home this weekend... First, I attended the Park City Cars & Coffee. A low-key event with a ton of really interesting cars. It's pretty obvious there's a lot of money in Park City and a lot of people in the greater Salt Lake area without so much money, but great passion for fun cars.

Vlad, of course, was the coolest car there... It was the only E28.

The only other classic BMWs were a ratty, bagged E23 and a pretty sweet Arcticblau 2002:

This '60 MB was amazeballs. The hottie and her owner who drove it weren't too bad either.

L. O. L.

'82 Euro Carrera 3.0 Targa.

L. M. F. A. O.

Lovely

Then I went shooting. Primary goal was to sight-in and practice with my .300 Win Mag (pre-63 model 70) so I'm prepared for an elk hunt in October. The guy (co-worker who is now my BFF) who took me shooting, showing me where to go on BLM land, had a nice collection of suppressed SBRs, including a .300 Blackout Sig Rattler and a CZ Scorpion.

300 yards, prone. 15-20mph winds. Last 2 shots were two of the 3 bottom right. I'm think I'm ready. My shoulder, however, hurts.

I like Utah just fine, thank you very much.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

That Supra was bought at Longo Toyota in El Monte...I bought my 1987 Camry there. One of the best cars I ever owned. And I'm pretty sure Longo Toyota is still the number one Toyota dealership in the United States. Huge dealership with incredible volume.

Like the variety of cars there.
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

I assume you've already been here to eat:

If not, please remedy immediately.
cek

Post by cek »

Tammer in Philly wrote:I assume you've already been here to eat:

On my list, but not yet.
Tammer in Philly

You will not be disappointed.

The other thing you're close to is Utah Motorsports Park, the former Miller ... good track and beautiful facilities.

It's a beautiful place to live. Enjoy it.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Tammer in Philly wrote:You will not be disappointed.
Given how critical this crowd is...

Unfortunately, not quite as good as it once was. The Moles used to be amazing, they are still quite good. We've been going there on our ski visits and pass-throughs since the early-mid-1990's. I think it was handed down to the children in the mid-2000's. Maybe the popularity got the better of it, or recipes shifted some. At one point they opened a second one called the Blue Iguana, maybe still there. I do have to say the variety and quality of ethnic food 20-30 years ago in SLC far exceeded that of the Denver/Boulder area. You will probably lose out on the seafood if you are coming from Seattle. It has been on my bucket list to do the Olympic bobsled run in Park City.
cek

Post by cek »

topher800 wrote:

Unfortunately, not quite as good as it once was. The Moles used to be amazing, they are still quite good. We've been going there on our ski visits and pass-throughs since the early-mid-1990's. I think it was handed down to the children in the mid-2000's. Maybe the popularity got the better of it, or recipes shifted some. At one point they opened a second one called the Blue Iguana, maybe still there. I do have to say the variety and quality of ethnic food 20-30 years ago in SLC far exceeded that of the Denver/Boulder area. You will probably lose out on the seafood if you are coming from Seattle. It has been on my bucket list to do the Olympic bobsled run in Park City.
Actually, the seafood in SLC is amazing. Apparently some bright guy recognized Delta's hub-ness and got fish coming in daily. I've now had really good sushi at several spots and some amazing scallops.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

cek wrote:
Actually, the seafood in SLC is amazing. Apparently some bright guy recognized Delta's hub-ness and got fish coming in daily. I've now had really good sushi at several spots and some amazing scallops.
Outstanding!
Tammer in Philly

topher800 wrote:

I don't have the perspective of it over time, but on my visit on a random Tuesday in early 2017 it was very good. Either way, worth a shot. Good to get your perspective.
Kenny Blankenship

cek wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote:I assume you've already been here to eat:

On my list, but not yet.
I'm pretty sure I have been there, during one of the 5er Fest trips. I don't remember what led me there, perhaps it was the old Zagat guide. My impression was it was just ok, not terribly memorable...
geordi

Post by geordi »

Eric, we will have to "green light" Charlie's new digs. I'm now 4.5 hrs from him... you up for a road trip? :cool:
euro635gas

Post by euro635gas »

I lived in Sandy for 7 months and worked at Alta back in 87'
Would never consider going back for any reason.
Ken H.

Post by Ken H. »

I lived in Sandy for 7 months and worked at Alta back in 87'
Would never consider going back for any reason.

Thank you. It makes keeping the gene pool clean that much easier.
cek

Post by cek »

geordi wrote:Eric, we will have to "green light" Charlie's new digs. I'm now 4.5 hrs from him... you up for a road trip? :cool:
Hey, I invited you George, not Eric. WTF?
Kenny Blankenship

cek wrote:
geordi wrote:Eric, we will have to "green light" Charlie's new digs. I'm now 4.5 hrs from him... you up for a road trip? :cool:
WTF indeed!!! :moon:

I'm about 500 miles away. A straight shot down I-80. But I won't be able to go for at least a month...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Kenny Blankenship wrote:
cek wrote:

I'm about 500 miles away. A straight shot down I-80. But I won't be able to go for at least a month...
Have you moved already and not updated your signature or just going to leave work on your last day, soon I believe, and drive straight to Reno? :D
cek

Post by cek »

Kenny Blankenship wrote:
cek wrote:

Tee-hee.

You and yours are always welcome to swing buy. With or without George.
Kenny Blankenship

Mike W. wrote:
Kenny Blankenship wrote:
cek wrote:

Have you moved already and not updated your signature or just going to leave work on your last day, soon I believe, and drive straight to Reno? :D
I'm not retired yet. Just in the process of moving. I'll be telecommuting.
Kenny Blankenship

cek wrote:
Kenny Blankenship wrote:
cek wrote:

Tee-hee.

You and yours are always welcome to swing buy. With or without George.
Let me think about whether I will grace you with my presence should I accept your belated invitation... :poke:
cek

Post by cek »

I'm digging this place.

Today after work I was stalked by a nice clean Eta.

Then I got myself fitted for some DaleBoots (a Utah-based custom boot mfg).

Then I went next door for some just-OK Mex.

I wrapped the day up with a drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon (where Alta & Snowbird are) and a sunset viewing.

gray635

Post by gray635 »

I don't know anything about the Red Iguana, or the Blue one for that matter, but I do know this = that Vlad is one good-looking sled! :up:
cek

Post by cek »

gray635 wrote:I don't know anything about the Red Iguana, or the Blue one for that matter, but I do know this = that Vlad is one good-looking sled! :up:
I agree! I continue to get such joy from this car.
a

Post by a »

Some nice looking car pictures :cool:
cek

Post by cek »

Saw a lovely looking Zinno 535is in Cottonwood Heights today.
cek

Post by cek »

Check this out: https://youtu.be/9HqvUqNedwM

On Friday afternoon a group of us (including Sam Hurly, who gets credit for the video above, and Austin Caccavo) went wheeling up near Tibble Fork Reservoir. This is the first time Uglina has really gone wheeling 'in anger' since I got her back. I was a bit nervous about whether she'd hold together, but as the evening went on my confidence increased (as you can see in the video above <g>).

Total hoot of a time. It was awesome being able to use an FJ40 the way they were designed.