UPDATE 1/6 e28 Saint-Gobain Windshield Buy Midwest

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

Re: UPDATE 1/6 e28 Saint-Gobain Windshield Buy Midwest

Post by BRRV »

Safelite is an armed robber, in my opinion. I got similar “quotes” from those guys, and others, when I was in Houston. None of them really had a clue, it was going to be OJT at my expense. Ultimately I found an old-school guy who knew what it took to install a floating windshield in a rubber frame.. I think I paid about $200, and that included a tip. I can appreciate your difficulties, because even in a city the size of Houston it took me a couple of months of digging to get a good recommendation for an installer - and I even helped him.

I don’t need a windshield right now, but I worry about what my chances are going forward, and would like to have one warehoused. I’m wondering: if we limited it to just, say, a three or four state area for orders, and made it clear that pickup was “your responsibility”, how many would be needed to be ordered for Ivo to cover his costs and make a profit, all in? We could do Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, New Mexico. What do we need, 20-30? More, less? I paid $250 delivered to Houston for a Pilkington; I’d pay more for a St. Gobain..
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

BRRV wrote:Safelite is an armed robber, in my opinion.
Heavy bummer. I saw the activity on this note and hoped that meant windshields were coming...

Cracked mine on my roadtrip... and figure I'll have to order from Schmiedmann when I get home... :(
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

wkohler wrote:It's actually about what I paid for the windshield for the B7 Turbo in 2013. I paid more for the windshield than I did the hood. That's really not too bad for a genuine windshield.
I bit the bullet after trying to order through a couple of online BMW dealers that claimed stock for BMW p/n 51-31-1-848-431 only to cancel the order the next day. Out the door through Schmiedmann was $490. About 50% for the windshield and the other 50% for shipping. Will follow up if/when I receive.

My 'new to me' e28 spent most of its life in AZ, so it has a good share of pitting and a big crack from a rock. Living in AZ most of my life, I have replaced a windshield in almost every car I've owned/leased. It's brutal on glass down there!
schulrc1

Post by schulrc1 »

Did this order fall apart? I am in need of a windshield for my e28...
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Whoa. It looks like a bunch of notes were deleted. Or am I Rip Van Winkle?
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

This discussion has mainly been replaced with this one: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153128
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

garageboy wrote:Whoa. It looks like a bunch of notes were deleted. Or am I Rip Van Winkle?
I wonder if you might be thinking of the big windshield thread in the Tech Talk forum.
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

I am in need of a new windshield. I’m very close to Washington DC. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you.
willyv124

Post by willyv124 »

Not sure if it makes things easier ha, but I'm in Richmond, VA and i'm also in need of a new windshield, so if you find something Syndrome where 2 makes it easier, I can be your second.
edwardmsmith

Post by edwardmsmith »

I need one as well, but I'm in the midwest - willing to drive somewhere, tho.