Window lock strip price gouging

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
M5BB

Re: Window lock strip price gouging

Post by M5BB »

I rebuilt a 3.0CS the last 4 years and was just on this site looking at something else.
They have many things in the universal category that work on many cars.

I don't know the exact size for lockstrip but there may be some options here.

https://www.steelerubber.com/steele-rub ... -auxiliary

Gary
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

So there is no US aftermarket vendor of this lock strip stuff? Chrome or black?
iamcreepingdeath

So I am getting very close to needing lock strip for my E28, and I am about to pull the trigger w E28Goodies: https://e28goodies.com/product/front-re ... roduction/

Anyone have experience with that product?

Again, is there no other vendor for aftermarket lock strip?
iamcreepingdeath

M5BB wrote: Jan 12, 2021 12:37 AM I rebuilt a 3.0CS the last 4 years and was just on this site looking at something else.
They have many things in the universal category that work on many cars.

I don't know the exact size for lockstrip but there may be some options here.

https://www.steelerubber.com/steele-rub ... -auxiliary

Gary
I will also be looking into this.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Aug 10, 2021 11:01 AM So I am getting very close to needing lock strip for my E28, and I am about to pull the trigger w E28Goodies: https://e28goodies.com/product/front-re ... roduction/

I got the e28goodies locking strip a few weeks ago, fit and finish seems good, very similar to the OE one, I'm satisfied with the result but they have an incredible long shipping time, you really need to order from them an forget about it.

Here's some pictures of the installed locking strip:

Image20210626_120407 by ipv7net, on Flickr
Image20210626_120413 by ipv7net, on Flickr
iamcreepingdeath

Giuliano wrote: Aug 10, 2021 6:20 PM
I got the e28goodies locking strip a few weeks ago, fit and finish seems good, very similar to the OE one, I'm satisfied with the result but they have an incredible long shipping time, you really need to order from them an forget about it.
Dang that looks good. And I should have placed an order with them two months ago! Dang it! Now I will be needing it within the next few weeks...
iamcreepingdeath

I should post an update and say that the E28goodies window locking strip actually shipped incredibly fast, and I installed it and it works beautifully. No need for those stupid aluminum corner pieces anymore! The rubber strip is flexible enough to go around the corners! And the windshield seals great, only needed a minimal amount of bedding compound.

Would highly recommend!
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Nov 03, 2021 12:21 PM I should post an update and say that the E28goodies window locking strip actually shipped incredibly fast, and I installed it and it works beautifully. No need for those stupid aluminum corner pieces anymore! The rubber strip is flexible enough to go around the corners! And the windshield seals great, only needed a minimal amount of bedding compound.

Would highly recommend!
Thanks for the recommendation! It is very helpful.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Giuliano wrote: Aug 10, 2021 6:20 PM
iamcreepingdeath wrote: Aug 10, 2021 11:01 AM So I am getting very close to needing lock strip for my E28, and I am about to pull the trigger w E28Goodies: https://e28goodies.com/product/front-re ... roduction/

Here's some pictures of the installed locking strip:

Image20210626_120407 by ipv7net, on Flickr
Image20210626_120413 by ipv7net, on Flickr
Looks like a good product, I will have to pick one up, thanks for the heads up.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I ordered the e28goodies lockstrip as well - haven't installed it yet but it looks really good. Shipping took FOREVER but that may have been waiting on some other parts I ordered at the same time. Best way to get ahold of them is Facebook Messenger, they don't really respond to emails in my experience.
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

I purchased 2 from BimmerWorld. They are listed for $108. Replaced the front and rear. We cut to fit the rear window.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Nov 03, 2021 12:21 PMNo need for those stupid aluminum corner pieces anymore! The rubber strip is flexible enough to go around the corners!
I'll need to see a picture of that! :dunno:
iamcreepingdeath

BMWCCA2 wrote: Nov 08, 2021 10:43 AM
iamcreepingdeath wrote: Nov 03, 2021 12:21 PMNo need for those stupid aluminum corner pieces anymore! The rubber strip is flexible enough to go around the corners!
I'll need to see a picture of that! :dunno:
Here ya go

Front top corner:

Rear top corner:
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Interesting, but the rear-window gasket doesn't have a curve. It's a right-angle, that's why the corner pieces are there. Did you use a front gasket on the rear window, or something?
iamcreepingdeath

BMWCCA2 wrote: Nov 11, 2021 8:08 AM Interesting, but the rear-window gasket doesn't have a curve. It's a right-angle, that's why the corner pieces are there. Did you use a front gasket on the rear window, or something?
Not sure what you mean by the rear window gasket not having a "curve"... That's the original rear window gasket that I re-used after cleaning it up a bit. In my estimation, the corner pieces aren't there because the rubber gasket has a "right angle", they are there simply because the factory lock strip is not flexible enough.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

The question is about the lower corners, which do have a right angle.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No, the lower on both front and back has a wider aluminum trim, so the corners are needed. But originally the front just used the lockstrip to follow the bend on top, but on the rear they used corners at the top as it wasn't flexible enough to make the curve which was sharper than the front.
iamcreepingdeath

stuartinmn wrote: Nov 11, 2021 10:52 AM The question is about the lower corners, which do have a right angle.
Ah, yes the lower corners have a sharp right angle, and the lock strip has to end there anyway, as the lower portion of the window seal does not have accommodation for the lock strip, you have to use the aluminum strip and the two lower 90 deg elbows.
iamcreepingdeath

Mike W. wrote: Nov 11, 2021 12:34 PM No, the lower on both front and back has a wider aluminum trim, so the corners are needed. But originally the front just used the lockstrip to follow the bend on top, but on the rear they used corners at the top as it wasn't flexible enough to make the curve which was sharper than the front.
Correct. The aluminum elbow pieces on the top corners of the rear window are the ones I eliminated.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I need to get motivated to put in the new windshield this year that I still have sitting in the box. Rereading through this thread, should I get the e28 goodies items, E21 versions, or do something else? I want to make sure I have all the parts ready for the installer when they come to do it. I've read the issues with the new gaskets not fitting so my plan is to plan to reuse mine. I hope that isn't naive.

And also need clarity, do I need two lockstrips for the windshield and two of those chrome right angle little corner pieces to do this job? (Plus reusing the gasket). No other parts for the install?
iamcreepingdeath

Adam W in MN wrote: Mar 15, 2022 11:14 AM I need to get motivated to put in the new windshield this year that I still have sitting in the box. Rereading through this thread, should I get the e28 goodies items, E21 versions, or do something else? I want to make sure I have all the parts ready for the installer when they come to do it. I've read the issues with the new gaskets not fitting so my plan is to plan to reuse mine. I hope that isn't naive.

And also need clarity, do I need two lockstrips for the windshield and two of those chrome right angle little corner pieces to do this job? (Plus reusing the gasket). No other parts for the install?
I recommend the E28goodies version of the lock strip. One strip for the front, one for the rear. Re-use the factory aluminum lower trim strip and two lower angle pieces. For the windshield gasket, you can re-use the factory one if it's still in good shape, but what I did was I ordered a new gasket through the windshield installer, and that worked great. Definitely use the 3M bedding/sealing compound as well. I didn't, and I am getting minor leaks.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Thanks, just ordered. Will need to decide how motivated I am to remove both front and rear glass and do the headliner, too.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Mar 16, 2022 9:48 AM Definitely use the 3M bedding/sealing compound as well. I didn't, and I am getting minor leaks.
Be best if you pulled the lockstrip, but it's not too late to do it.
Adam W in MN wrote: Mar 16, 2022 3:58 PM Thanks, just ordered. Will need to decide how motivated I am to remove both front and rear glass and do the headliner, too.
Ugg. That moves it from an easy job to a project.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Has anyone had successful recent purchase from e28 goodies? I ordered the lockstrip in late June, was charged, and have seen nothing. I sent an email last month and have not heard back.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

topher800 wrote: Nov 08, 2022 9:16 PMHas anyone had successful recent purchase from e28 goodies? I ordered the lockstrip in late June, was charged, and have seen nothing. I sent an email last month and have not heard back.
That seems to be the way they're operating lately. Others have had similar experiences. Track them down on social media.