My 1987 528e

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
cek

Re: My 1987 528e

Post by cek »

I have a $2000 1987 528e too! I've put probably $5k into it in 3 years. It's still worth $2000. But I love it and have never regretted a moment. Well, maybe I have regret over the three failures I've had trying to build a new motor for it, but that's another story.

Anywho - this is a good thread and you seem to be on a good path. So keep it up. Post more pics. (Of the car).

Suggestion: When you replace the suspension don't get fancy. Just go with H&R Springs + Billy Sports. Use Moosehead's UCABs.

Cheers.
BavarianTexan

Post by BavarianTexan »

UltraSheen wrote:Very good ideas across the board.

Minor things I'm working on now, which don't take a lot of money but make a big difference in the livability of the car:
  • - I was surprised my local O'Reilly's had the H3 bulb with the lead for the fog lamp. I also replaced the illumination lights in the fog lamp switch and the headlight switch. Those will be easier to find when I need them! :cool:
    -
Replacing the illumination lights on the Fog and headlight switches, What did you find/use? This is the one item that has pretty much driven me insane, outside of the vacuum lines.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Replacement bulbs are available.
BavarianTexan

Post by BavarianTexan »

Kyle in NO wrote:Replacement bulbs are available.
Lol. I realize that, I was asking for some clarification for the part. Do you know what bulb to order?
BavarianTexan

Post by BavarianTexan »

Posting this for reference if someone is looking for : Illumination Light Bulbs, Headlight Switch, Fog light switch - Philips 12516 12V 1.2W Interior Signal Light Bulb
I ordered the 10 pack on Ebay.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

I looked for my bag of bulbs. In my car, the fog light switch is the wedge bulb you listed. But the headlight switch is different. For some reason W5W is stuck in my head, but I couldn't find the box the bulb came in, so that memory could be faulty.

Again, in my car, the fog light switch and the headlight switch have two different types of bulbs.

You were right to order a bunch of the bulbs. They are all over the place.

Good luck.
BavarianTexan

Post by BavarianTexan »

UltraSheen wrote:I looked for my bag of bulbs. In my car, the fog light switch is the wedge bulb you listed. But the headlight switch is different. For some reason W5W is stuck in my head, but I couldn't find the box the bulb came in, so that memory could be faulty.

Again, in my car, the fog light switch and the headlight switch have two different types of bulbs.

You were right to order a bunch of the bulbs. They are all over the place.

Good luck.
If you have an opportunity, would you mind snapping a picture of the back of your headlight switch? I would greatly appreciate it.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

No problem. It's got that weird one-off light socket. I'll get you a picture.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

Here we go. Hopefully they'll show up correctly.

You can see the bulb holder on the left. It just pulls straight out; there are no retainers, as it's held in by friction only.

BavarianTexan

Post by BavarianTexan »

Oh these are fantastic, thank you.

Really appreciate the measurement pictures. Let's see what I can find.
mescko

Post by mescko »

T3 wedge base I believe.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

Good information. Thank you!
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

I'm still slowly getting the white one disassembled, but I have to say the more I work with these two cars, the more I appreciate the engineering.

Of course, some things go better than others. I'm still working on getting the fan to work with the AC on.

The car I'm parting had some Pioneer speakers sitting in the rear deck. Those fit my front speaker locations. I took the car to a local car audio shop and they installed my Continental radio I ordered from Latvia (!). In the end, they put a pair of Focal speakers in the back and the Pioneers in the front. Mean time, they blew a fuse, didn't wire up the illumination wire, and kept some of the parts they were supposed to return. And the light next to the radio was pulled out of the mounting hole and the bulb was blown. I had already gone through all the dash and instrumentation lights and this annoyed me.

I called about the illumination. I was told, "We installed it right. If illumination doesn't work, it's because your car doesn't support it or there's a setting you have wrong on your radio." He said that without even looking at it. I was really mad I paid those guys money.

Here's what I saw when I pulled the radio:

The orange wire is the illumination wire. They put a butt connector on it, but didn't connect it to anything. I guess they didn't do it right after all, now did they...

A few days ago, I decided to tackle the light bulb. Getting the bulb replaced resulted in me dropping like 3 bulbs down in the hole where the blanking plate next to the radio is. I switched (sweaty, fumbly) hands and got one to seat in the socket. Those short leads are no fun. Then I used a curved pick from a little Harbor Freight pick set to pull the socket into its mount. I need to go back in and find all those bulbs extra bulbs laying around in there somewhere, but it's way too hot to spend too much time in this black car. I clicked the blanking plate back in and lighting was restored.

I got those extra parts from the audio shop, fixed the fuse and tonight, with the help of my 4-year-old girl, connected the illumination wire. It connects to the red/gray wire, by the way.

Now it looks like this in my car:

The orange of the radio nearly matches the orange on the window switches next to the gear shifter, but it's not red enough to match many of the others. But as it is, I have bluetooth and can make phone calls and stream audio from my phone. The Focal speakers sound pretty good, considering.

My next thing to tackle is the slow and/or inoperative side windows. I've already removed the hardware, including the glass, from the front doors of the parts car, and that was pretty educational. Hopefully a repair won't be too difficult.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

A simple task today that made a fair bit of difference: dome lights replaced with LEDs. When I was replacing them, I saw some darkened, discolored, and cooked dome light covers, so it won't be long til I replace them as well. Those old lights got hot!

Old vs new:

Old vs new again, the colors of the seats seem washed out, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make:

Both sides replaced:

You can really see my seats need tending to:

Even the back seat has very improved visibility:

Finally, here's one at night with the bulbs all working. I like this view with the new radio:

UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

My locks work great, except for the one I use all the time, the driver's side. I had to lock and unlock from the passenger or the trunk.

Well, I read a few threads here about installing a keyless lock system and decided I should do it.

This is the thread I started with: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=31037

Here's the model I got from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2N0UH0u

It's been said on the multiple threads on this site but I'll say it again. This is one of the best mods you can do on your car.

I actually soldered the connections, covered them with heatshrink, zip-tied the wires into a bundle, and where appropriate covered them with cloth wiring tape (which I got here: https://amzn.to/2MAANfS). Pretty nice and tidy! I used some small velcro pads to attach it to the metal and fits right back behind the rear liner.

My only problem with this particular model is I can't program both of the fobs at once. That is, only one of the fobs works at a time. The instructions, written in some form of English, are not very helpful.

That said, I'm still sold on keyless entry for my car - it's so much more convenient.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

Yesterday, I dedicated my couple of free hours to the disassembly of the '86 528e. I've removed most of the parts I could get from the dash, and I've already removed the window and regulators from the front doors. This time, it was the rear door window and regulator removal.

And what a chore that was. I cut my hands up on little clips and edges so much it looks like they've been attacked by a pack of badgers. With the heat and humidity we have here, they burned with sweat the whole time.

I had long ago removed the battery and other electrical components from the car. What made the removal of the windows and regulators (front and back) much easier is I used the window motor connector from one door and clipped it off. I connected it to a battery lead. Connecting that lead to the regulator connector and then to the battery one way round would make the window move up, and connecting them in the other way round would make the window go down (and collapse the regulator). Doing this a few times as I unbolted and pulled off the glass and finally wiggled the regulator out of the (too small) hole at the bottom of the doors made things a lot easier. Without that connector, I would have probably given up. Or smashed it with a very large hammer.

That said, it's nice to have an extra set of everything. I even removed the rear corner windows though I'll probably never need them. And because on my '87 not all locks and windows work as expected, I'm more aware of what to look for when I pull off the door panels and peer inside looking for trouble.

Next, I want to remove the front seats. The back seats were easy to get out, but these front ones are a pain. The monster bolts are slightly rusted and immovable. And because I don't have power, I can't move the seats around easily to get to everything. I'll have to improvise like I did for the window motors.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

After work today, I went to the what we used to call the Auto Hobby Shop (which I think is now called the Auto Skills Center). I had a couple of dogbones and sway bar end links to install in the rear.

Getting the car up on a lift for the first time was quite illuminating. I was concerned about rust, because my exhaust is wretched. I was incredibly relieved to find almost no rust on the car's underbelly. Lucky!

Getting the dogbones on was fairly straightforward. I assume putting them on while the car is on the ground would be easier as there is the load that forces the two components to align. As it was, I had to get a transmission lift to put some tension to align them. Other than that, it went well. They certainly needed replacing. Here are the old ones. Surely they're the originals!

The sway bar end links were a bit more painful. After getting all three of the shop mechanics to tell me what I was doing wrong, and all four of us trying to figure the best way to do it, we could not get the link on the end of the sway bar. The hole was way too small. We broke out the Vaseline and after way too many juvenile jokes, they had all but given up. I took the sway bar out of the car and with the help of a vice, a hammer, and a socket we tapped the links into place and I reinstalled the sway bar. It took longer than I expected, but I was happy to be done.

The old ones weren't all that bad, but the bushings were completely hardened.

Afterward, I looked around the car more carefully for corrosion and damage. The passenger side front sway bar end link was completely hanging. The bottom bushing was gone and the link was just dangling. That's not great. I have a couple of those on order now. In the mean time, I may steal an old one from the white '86, if they're not complete trash.

The shop has a $6 fee for using a lift and $8 per hour shop time. So for $14, I got a lot done. (A mechanic had quoted me $140 to do the job.)
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

I wanted to get the sway bar end links done as quickly as possible. They looked easy enough to install, so if I had to do it again with better parts, I could. But I couldn't have one just dangling underneath the car.

I wonder how old it was:

I'm looking at refreshing the front end suspension. I was looking at a $700 LEMFÖRDER-branded kit on eBay. That's a bit expensive right now, considering what I've convinced my wife I needed immediately. So that will have to wait until she cools off a bit.

The problem where I live is we don't have a big market of these cars. Well, there is more money here than most people would think, so there are more BMWs and MBs than in surrounding areas, but I don't live in a large metropolis. About an hour and a half north is Nashville, and about 3 and a half hours southeast is Atlanta. I'm sure I could get things the day I need them if I lived there, but I don't know who stocks what even for a day trip. So I have to depend on Amazon or Advance Auto or Autozone or perhaps even O'Reilly's for quicker delivery.

Yesterday, I called Advanced Auto and sure enough they could have a set of end links for me by tomorrow (by which I mean today). Sure enough, this morning I got the call that they had arrived. That's pretty responsive. Autozone I've had success with, but O'Reilly's has disappointed me a couple of times. The local BMW dealership is absolutely awful. Their parts department is slow and unresponsive. If it's not a $4000 dealership-performed repair, they just don't care. They're not for the enthusiast or home mechanic.

Advanced Auto had the Moog K90107 link kit (just a pair of them) with a limited lifetime replacement warranty for $43.98. Amazon had them for $11.86 a piece, but only one was in stock. I was worried about the manufacturer and quality. I know Moog has had a reasonably good reputation, largely, but with everything these days with buyouts, mergers, and just plain corporate greed, you can't ever trust vendors automatically. (Don't get me wrong. I'm not left-leaning. I'm a Libertarian. But sometimes you have to call them how you see them.)

I stopped by Advanced Auto after work today and picked up the links. While I was there, I picked up a couple of ramps because I didn't have any and I knew I'd need them.

Here's what the new one and the old one (that was previously just hanging there) looked like side-by-side:

Here's the old one's shaft:

And here's the Moog's shaft:

Pulling the car up on the ramp gave me plenty of room underneath to reach the lower bolts. I bought an Earthquake impact wrench from Harbor Freight and it made short work of the rusty bolts. (I usually don't trust Harbor Freight tools, but this had decent reviews and because I'm not a professional and would only use it sparingly, I thought I'd take a chance.

I stood the link up on its own with the stiffness of the joint and friction keeping it upright, and I pulled the car down off the ramps. I jacked a side up and I took each front tire off, in turn. Getting to the top bolt was a bit harder, but it was only manual labor. (The impact wrench would not fit into the constrained space.) After a few busted knuckles and mumbled words, the links were installed.

Here's the new one standing at attention, and the old one just hanging around:

I took the car out for a shakedown test. Literally. It probably had nothing to do with the work I'd just performed, but at least in my head the ride felt a lot more composed. I didn't feel the shimmy at 45 that I often - but not always... - feel, and I got up to 80 on the interstate with no unexpected behavior. The car felt great! I took a couple of corners a little more aggressively than normal, and the car was serene and stable throughout.

It's probably all in my mind...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by UltraSheen on Sep 01, 2018 1:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Post by cek »

Nice work!!!
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

cek wrote:Nice work!!!
Not to make this a celebration of mutual appreciation, but I have to admit, your epic thread for your $2000 beater was what lit a fire underneath me. Amazing work you've done.
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

Today is the last day for the '86 parts car. I was going to go underneath and get the exhaust, but it was only marginally better than mine. The rust had more than taken its dark toll on this car. I might as well get a new one for all the effort I'd put into that (and I'm still unsure it wouldn't have leaks). So I let it go.

My wife and stepdaughter helped tremendously. We got the front seats removed without power, and that was a real hassle. I removed the trunk lid and hood to paint and replace mine, which are both hail damaged. as I'm going to repaint anway, this may save some time and effort (which is money).

I removed the windshield wiper motor and mechanism. And finally I removed the driver's door. Even though I won't need it as a replacement, I wanted to keep it with all the lock issues I have with my driver's side door on my '87. When I decide to tackle that (not today!), I'll have one to work with spare internals should I need them.

I also removed the rear glass. It was a little bit of a chore, but I finally worked it out. Then with a sort of confidence earned though hard work, I started on the PERFECT windshield. As soon as I started to lever a corner, it fractured.

Fantastic.

It was a long day. I stacked and stored what I could in the garage. It was hot again today - no surprise - and I just have a couple of parts I need to pick up in the driveway. I'll still call it done.

I found a guy on Craigslist who came and got the carcass and handed me $50. My wife is pleased.

The neighborhood nazis should all be much happier too! To celebrate the removal of the parts car, I may just paint my house pink and purple.
Sparkos

Post by Sparkos »

Very nice work on this build!

You can get $150 for a stripped car here, they come and tow it and you don't have to do anything. they end up just getting crushed, though so there's a plus to selling it to someone that'll get more use out of the parts. :)
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

I ordered an exhaust from Blunttech and today UPS delivered it. Small problem...

I called UPS and they're supposed to be coming to get it. We'll see.

I'm so frustrated right now. :evil:
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

I spoke with a customer service rep (no names named) and he asked if I'd send a couple of pictures of the damage. I did. He wrote me back, and he indicated they'd get another one out today, and he was completely apologetic and understanding. I wasn't using a harsh tone or strong words when I spoke to him; I just stated the facts. Whether or not that approach would have changed the outcome, I don't know. But I do know he was completely professional and understanding and has plans to rectify the situation. For that I am thankful and can only recommend Blunttech.

He did mention this has been an issue before and he thought they'd solved it. He said they'd send UPS to get it (I have to remember to cancel my return) and that should be that.

There are no guarantees in life and nothing has a 100% success rate. It's what you do later that counts. It's how you react and handle what you can control. And from what I've read and now from what I've experienced, I am convinced Blunttech will be my preferred vendor moving forward.
cek

Post by cek »

UltraSheen wrote:I spoke with a customer service rep (no names named) and he asked if I'd send a couple of pictures of the damage. I did. He wrote me back, and he indicated they'd get another one out today, and he was completely apologetic and understanding. I wasn't using a harsh tone or strong words when I spoke to him; I just stated the facts. Whether or not that approach would have changed the outcome, I don't know. But I do know he was completely professional and understanding and has plans to rectify the situation. For that I am thankful and can only recommend Blunttech.

He did mention this has been an issue before and he thought they'd solved it. He said they'd send UPS to get it (I have to remember to cancel my return) and that should be that.

There are no guarantees in life and nothing has a 100% success rate. It's what you do later that counts. It's how you react and handle what you can control. And from what I've read and now from what I've experienced, I am convinced Blunttech will be my preferred vendor moving forward.
Mine was dented too. I thought it was intentional. Works fine ;-)