The Last Word On Euro Mkt Dealer Parts Availability

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
BuzzBomb

The Last Word On Euro Mkt Dealer Parts Availability

Post by BuzzBomb »

We are all a little sad these days about the almost non-availability of Euro market parts for our BMWs, so I wanted to share the actual BMW NA directive for dealers who haven't phased out the ECE catalogs completely from their parts dept. The only thing left is for the last dealers left who still have access to ECE part numbers will give in and update their catalogs to NA parts only. Until then, here are the current directives as of Dec '14. Anyone who was asked for more than the directive asks for got hosed (WKohler).
Cactus

Re: The Last Word On Euro Mkt Dealer Parts Availability

Post by Cactus »

What do they stand to gain from this?

I'll never buy another BMW again. I'm going to quit the CCA. This will be my last post on this forum. Goodbye BMW, I'm done.

If you want to talk, you can find me at myalfasud.com
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

The last disclaimer is the rub.
Legal deniability. Wouldn't want to be accused of circumventing EPA/DOT regs, now would we?

I don't think that the bar is set too high, honestly...
If your cars are legit, you can haz. (IF your dealer can read and wants to play ball)
cek

Post by cek »

Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, I have found ordering from http://www.schmiedmann.com/ works very well (as long as you don't order while they are on vacation during July and August). You don't need any proof of ownership.
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

ldsbeaker wrote: If your cars are legit, you can haz. (IF your dealer can read and wants to play ball)
Its not up to the dealer. The guy sitting at some desk in new jersey. It is his determination solely whether you get the part or not.
dcains

Post by dcains »

I've got a euro e24, and I don't see how this will bother me, in most cases. I'd only be ordering parts original to the car, and those don't seem to be an issue. I think what BMWNA is trying to avoid is parts like a set of euro headers, for example, for an US market e36. If I want to buy a new windshield washer reservoir, what's the problem?
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

dcains wrote:I've got a euro e24, and I don't see how this will bother me, in most cases. I'd only be ordering parts original to the car, and those don't seem to be an issue. I think what BMWNA is trying to avoid is parts like a set of euro headers, for example, for an US market e36. If I want to buy a new windshield washer reservoir, what's the problem?
Unless ANY part you order is shared with it's US counterpart, you've got a rude awakening awaiting you, my friend.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just one more step in BMWs attempt to keep up with Mercedes and their vehicle renewal program where one can get the parts needed to make their cars last forever. BMW is looking longer term, Buy a New Car, it is the business we are in, parts sales are for others.

Fortunately, I have all the documents to try to get parts for my car. Wonder if they will actually approve any of my future requests.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Blue Shadow wrote:Fortunately, I have all the documents to try to get parts for my car. Wonder if they will actually approve any of my future requests.
There's the rub. People with all the required documentation and paperwork, are still being blown off, or at best, have a months long wait for a decision.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Karl Grau wrote:
Blue Shadow wrote:Fortunately, I have all the documents to try to get parts for my car. Wonder if they will actually approve any of my future requests.
There's the rub. People with all the required documentation and paperwork, are still being blown off, or at best, have a months long wait for a decision.
:wave:

Thank you very much for posting this. I'm glad to see that it matches up with what I've been told most recently. The situation on the fenders (for starters) has really made me angry and it was certainly no fault of the dealer. I have to say that given much of the stuff I've ordered, the dealer that's been handling my stuff has done well. Some don't even want to bother in my previous experience, so I'm glad they will. I'm just most disappointed that I noted I had ordered many parts I didn't actually order back in 2010/2011. The biggest problem is that some of these parts, they won't even sell to people with the documentation - like the special bolt for the rear bumper trim on the rear E12 bumper. Totes blocked. Can't even get it.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

BuzzBomb wrote:
ldsbeaker wrote: If your cars are legit, you can haz. (IF your dealer can read and wants to play ball)
Its not up to the dealer. The guy sitting at some desk in new jersey. It is his determination solely whether you get the part or not.
I think we need to send some strongly worded letters to this f̶a̶s̶c̶i̶s̶t̶ gentleman.
dcains

Post by dcains »

BuzzBomb wrote:
dcains wrote:I've got a euro e24, and I don't see how this will bother me, in most cases. I'd only be ordering parts original to the car, and those don't seem to be an issue. I think what BMWNA is trying to avoid is parts like a set of euro headers, for example, for an US market e36. If I want to buy a new windshield washer reservoir, what's the problem?
Unless ANY part you order is shared with it's US counterpart, you've got a rude awakening awaiting you, my friend.
Well, perhaps you're correct, as I haven't needed to order anything recently. But, even so, there are some other sources I'd rather give my business to, anyway, such as Maximillian Imports and Schmiedmann. They've both been happy to take my money and provide excellent service. I first started bypassing the dealer and buying from Maximillian in '88 when I bought my E30 M3, and haven't had a single issue in all of those 28 years. In the last few years, when I want something a little quicker I buy from mybimmerparts.com, a BMW dealer in the D.C. area which does a great job, too. My local dealer is 15 minutes away, and I haven't been in there in over 25 years.
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

Dean, anyone based in the US, including Max or mybimmerparts are effected by this directive (since they are just a middle-man who buys wholesale from the dealer) and will be denied EU market parts. Schmimizzle is ok still though.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

That 1960 El Camino is sounding better everyday.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

I was able to get euro only engine parts for my touring through blunttech. He did need a copy of the title.
dcains

Post by dcains »

BuzzBomb wrote:Dean, anyone based in the US, including Max or mybimmerparts are effected by this directive (since they are just a middle-man who buys wholesale from the dealer) and will be denied EU market parts. Schmimizzle is ok still though.
I was under the impression that Max got containers of parts from Germany on a weekly basis, this bypassing BMW-NA. That certainly used to be the case, although things may have changed. I'll ask next time I need to order something.
ovide

Post by ovide »

dsmith wrote:I was able to get euro only engine parts for my touring through blunttech. He did need a copy of the title.
Guess where he gets the part via....
adrian in florida

Post by adrian in florida »

When you combine this directive with the new direction of BMWNA there are some dealers who just wont go through the hassle. Like the dealer I have tried to use in Sarasota. The parts department in Sarasota BMW looks more like a clothing company designed to support the BMW dick head lifestyle. Its seems the BMW brand is more important to late model buyers than the driving experience.
geordi

Post by geordi »

I received the same doc from my dealer. My preference was to post my experience after I tried to order a few parts. I have the required documents, but my lingering question after reading the document was "Are the parts I am allowed to order and receive specific to the VIN on my documentation?" For instance, my 745i build has SLS, but what if I wanted to upgrade to the MTech suspension? I am I precluded from ordering those parts even though I have a Euro VIN with required docs?

I went through Steve at Blunttech. He wasn't denied, but the order sat unfulfilled for 6 weeks. I contacted Ivo and the springs were available. He purchased and shipped to me.

Next, I tried ordering (2) sets tow hook covers for a M5 chin spoiler for my 85' 525i. Now the chin spoiler was not on the original build sheet according to the VIN. One set of tow hook covers were sent with the caveat that if I wanted the second set, I'd have to order those the following month. Hmmm.

I'd have to say what I experienced so far is inconclusive. There has been no other denials or delays on my Euro parts orders, but those replacement parts correspond with the VIN.

Recourse?
I'm inclined not to purchase another X5 for the business. Why should I if BMWNA is going deny access to Euro parts for ALL enthusiasts regardless if they have a Euro Vin and accompanying documentation.

I believe this is an issue BMWCCA must strongly weigh in on. Take those membership dollars and represent its membership in this matter. All this fluff and feel good stuff for newer models doesn't turn my twinkie. There has to be support for the entire bloodline from the manufacturer.
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

George, the answer is easy. BMW worldwide is in the business to sell cars. Parts are offered because they have to. Making available parts for a car more than a few years old doesn't make financial sense. Anyone within the corporate confines that thought the "Mobile Tradition" was worth keeping alive has moved on, it seems. It's kind of sad, I drove my e28 to the dealer a while back and parked near the service entrance. A couple of techs came out to check out this car that to them was a mystery. None of them knew what it was. There is no support in training for anything like our cars. I don't think they even have any of the OEM tools to work on them anymore. I'd be worried about taking my car in for anything major. Can you imagine taking a 2002tii to the dealer to get the fuel injection adjusted? Oh hell no.
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

I wonder what happens to people in Europe that want parts for their US car? I'm curious how it compares.

As for the elcamino comment, my brother has a 78, and while there are a crapload of questionable aftermarket parts for suspension etc. There are no suppliers of any exterior trim, interior pieces or even all the little pieces. You can't even order the parts from a dealer, Atleast in my experience.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

geordi wrote: I believe this is an issue BMWCCA must strongly weigh in on. Take those membership dollars and represent its membership in this matter.
I tried in vain to get them to give a damn, the response I received was anemic. The level of influence with BMW NA for policies and procedures appears to be zilch, along with any willingness to understand the problems and issues of the CCA members with vintage euro cars.
adrian in florida

What's the point of the mobile tradition division? It seems a bit silly to promote mobile tradition but not support it
delvin

Post by delvin »

This is more likely a government issue than BMW. Perhaps somebody with a euro converted BMW had a bad accident and their legal team has placed a couple calls to BMW NA alleging they are at partial fault for selling non oem parts? Maybe not who knows
adrian in florida

How about some investigative reporting from Satch or others at Roundel