Robotic Overlords (and dogs)

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
davintosh

Re: Robotic Overlords (and dogs)

Post by davintosh »

Too bad they cut the video before he did the jump & flip to get back to ground level.

https://youtu.be/LikxFZZO2sk
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Where's the emoticon for jaw drop? I should be used to it by now but somehow it's always a wow. :shock:
a

Post by a »

Heh heh. Cek's sexy ski boots and this creation got me thinking. Could it ski, snow board? Sky dive? Surf? skate board ? Ice skate? I made a service call to that building back when they were messing with dog sized tracked thingies. Thats an impressive amount of mechanical and hydraulic stuff. What does it run on? For how long? :cool:
cek

Post by cek »

Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

First time I had checked out this thread- ignorance was bliss. Applications are endless.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Everytime CEK posts an update I'm absolutely dumbfounded. And I tell you this, those robots can dance a whole lot better than I can. Of course that's not saying much.

The movements are so fluid and lifelike, I wonder how they programmed them. My guess is they put about 18 different motion sensors on some guy, had him dance, took that data, programmed it into the robot, then finished it with some detail tweaking. Curious too, how similar to human proportions the robots are, all the way down to the feet. I wonder how much was because it worked well, and how much is marketing. Speaking of, I believe Boston Dynamics was sold recently, though I forget the details.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^Google a few years ago.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Wow that video was scary and impressive. When will we have a servant robot society like in I Robot?
Last edited by Adam W in MN on Jan 03, 2021 6:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

vinceg101 wrote: Dec 31, 2020 2:36 AM ^^^Google a few years ago.
Which should be even more terrifying.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

All we gotta do is knock out the control ship and they all go limp. ;)

Saw this one yesterday; Ford & Agility Robotics are working on a delivery robot. Really creepy seeing the things walking with the knees bending the wrong way. I don't see how that can be an improvement over the original.
(yes, I see that the "knees" are higher up, attached to a shorter "thigh", like a horse's hind leg. But the appearance of the thing is just, unnatural!)

Just keep the damned thing off my lawn.

;)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

davintosh wrote: Jan 01, 2021 1:47 PM All we gotta do is knock out the control ship and they all go limp. ;)
Just looking at the info again and I see they're hydraulic. Every industrial hydraulic device I've ever seen or worked on leaked. So it would just be a matter of time before they ran out of hydraulic fluid. :laugh:

One curious thing about all of them is the hands, or lack thereof. Rubber paws at best it seems, although at least one has a simple clamp. The opposed thumb might be a particular challenge, but I guess the dexterity in fingers and ability to sense weight, friction and fragility is more complex than I ever thought about.
cek

Post by cek »

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/23/disne ... e-in-groot

I (am Groot), for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.