What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Karl Grau

Re: What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

Post by Karl Grau »

We have a 3% chance of rain but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Well, not my house, but my Sons. He bought a Costco garden shed, all plastic and wisely decided he was over his head in trying to do the assembly alone and asked me for a hand. Great instructions, all 80 pages of them.:roll: They did think to include a graphic of all the parts. Starting on page 38. :brickwall: It would have helped more if it was a little earlier. Things started slow, then slowed even more when he figured out we needed a real base, blue shale wasn't going to cut it. So there went 2 hours more buying and building a base. But after 9.5 hours we had it up and 98% complete. I haven't worked this hard in years, it felt good. I wasn't just walking back and forth, I was hustling. Stiff and sore, but satisfying even with the crappy instructions. There's a certain therapy in swinging a 20oz hammer trying to sink a 16d nail in one swing after it's been started. :D All in all a good day, even if I am whipped. :laugh:
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Ain't it great getting old? ;)
EventuallyAyrton
Location: Wherever the E28 happens to be parked- Morrisville, NY

Post by EventuallyAyrton »

Not exactly a house thing but a thing in my house that I use on a regular basis.

I get headachey after any amount of soldering due to inhaling the fumes. It's the same if I walk past a smoker or a fireplace. My doctor says I have an over sensitive nasal thing or something. Anyway, I decided to try to remedy the solder fume issue with this

It's a hair dryer fan taped to a section of a gatorade bottle cut to fit around it and a paper towel tube fit around the top of the gatorade bottle (these two fit together perfectly if you ever need a quick funnel for something that isn't liquid). The stand is just a bit of folded cardboard with holes and a counterweight. It's a bit cumbersome but it works for what I need it for.

Video of a match smoke test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJFV46 ... e=youtu.be
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

New coffee & end tables in the living room, and got some Philips Hue action going!

Crap photos, but.. Hue bulbs in both these lamps:

... and a Hue LED strip in the kitchen:
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Got all ambitious 'n crap today, and power-washed the back patio. It's no longer eleven different colors.

Clean vs dirty:

And done...ish.
Ted in T.O.

Post by Ted in T.O. »

Final day tomorrow with regards to family room and ensuite bathroom to be completly being redone. Girls bathroom to be redone after Tedfest and then getting ready to put up for sale.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Ted in T.O. wrote: after Tedfest and then getting ready to put up for sale.
But what happens then to Tedfest??? :shock:
Ted in T.O.

Post by Ted in T.O. »

Mike W. wrote:
Ted in T.O. wrote: after Tedfest and then getting ready to put up for sale.
But what happens then to Tedfest??? :shock:
Depending on how big of a property we purchase. It will be scaled back or find a new venue which will be closer to the Peace Bridge and Buffalo.
EventuallyAyrton

Cleaned an odd years worth of ATF stains off the driveway after finally fixing the leak! Big thanks to SmokeyJohn102 for being a huge help with fixing the leak
EventuallyAyrton

Started removing bricks from the walkway so I can level it. The original job was done so shittily and none of the base gravel/dirt was tamped down at all so over the years, it's gotten all wibbly wobbly from people walking on and compressing the dirt. When it rains, there are puddles the size of the Mediterranean Sea. I just did the main section today, the elbow/curve will have to wait.

A rubber mallet and a driveway ice scraper are the absolute best tools for this job if you don't have one of those weird extractor grabby things
a

Post by a »

After I type this, I'm going out to touch up the paint. Then I will take that tier of staging down and walk it around back. I'm undecided on whether to stage the porch or set the staging up to do the back gable.
OcCoupe

Post by OcCoupe »

In the process of pressure washing the house, painting all the fascia boards, window trim, laundry room, patio overhang, and certain exterior walls that are getting beaten up by heavy sun exposure. Interior is also getting a trim refresh with new paint. The Missus has been working diligently on the garden trying fill in some dead spots and adding some foliage. We've neglected some of the cosmetic maintenance since I started working on the car project. Susan also painted the front door a really dark green, almost a black green, It looks really sharp and accents the house nicely.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

EventuallyAyrton wrote:Started removing bricks from the walkway so I can level it. The original job was done so shittily and none of the base gravel/dirt was tamped down at all so over the years, it's gotten all wibbly wobbly from people walking on and compressing the dirt. When it rains, there are puddles the size of the Mediterranean Sea. I just did the main section today, the elbow/curve will have to wait.

Damn, doesn't look all that bad from here. You probably do know, but in case you don't, sand is your friend in smoothing and leveling it.
EventuallyAyrton

Mike W. wrote: Damn, doesn't look all that bad from here. You probably do know, but in case you don't, sand is your friend in smoothing and leveling it.
For sure. I'm going to mix some fine gravel and sand for maximum water drain. I'm going to make sure I tamp it way way way way down with one of those cement flatter things.
EventuallyAyrton

Leveled the walkway and started to place the bricks back down. Those aren't their permanent resting spots, that was just to test level and make sure everything was flat. I'm going to rent a power washer and properly clean them...hardcore. I need a power washer so badly, I walked past one at Lowes today for $1,400 that had a maximum pressure of 5000 psi :rockon: For another time though
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

EventuallyAyrton wrote:I need a power washer so badly, I walked past one at Lowes today for $1,400 that had a maximum pressure of 5000 psi :rockon: For another time though
5K PSI? :shock: My little one I think is 1300PSI and at a needle point will do damage to concrete. You won't even need a chain saw.
EventuallyAyrton

Mike W. wrote:
EventuallyAyrton wrote:I need a power washer so badly, I walked past one at Lowes today for $1,400 that had a maximum pressure of 5000 psi :rockon: For another time though
5K PSI? :shock: My little one I think is 1300PSI and at a needle point will do damage to concrete. You won't even need a chain saw.
It's adjustable I believe. 5k psi would be for cleaning rust and paint off metal. Just throw some paint thinner on and buzz it down to bare metal with 5k psi behind the water
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

My "house" these days is a building that was originally designed & built as a hotel, but has been converted and expanded to be used as two dorms; ~20 girls on the lower two floors, and ~20 boys on the upper two. But the last week has been spent converting it into a single-family dwelling; we shipped out all the students & RAs. :banana:

Of course, before shipping them all out, we made sure they all cleaned up after themselves, then we went through and did more cleaning, but now we have a huge, very clean house all to ourselves. It's lovely.

On Thursday we did some landscaping work, or rather un-landscaping, to remove some overgrown plantings outside our front door. It wasn't fun, as it was raining, and the plants were surrounded by landscaping rocks. But we got most of them out. I ended up leaving a couple of them in place though, because we happened across a hedgehog nursery right next to them. A mom and five little piglets. Mom took off for another daytime hiding place, but came back that night. Today they were all gone; she must've had enough of us two-legged intruders!

Mom is the big gray/brownish prickly thing, and the lighter colored prickly thing is one of the babies.
a

Post by a »

Cool, They look like scouring pads. I made eye contact for a few seconds with a brown fox last Sunday . I, considering rabies, walked away. So did the fox. I hope he takes care of whatever is eating MDW's flora. I finished with the staging and in a week or 2 will start on the back of the house.
a

Post by a »

Built an 8' tall trellis for the cukes to climb. Mulched with marsh hay. Fine turned the drip irrigation when I needed to cool off. The hydrangeas have their own water. So does the night blooming cereus in its summer quarters.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Bent down to pick up my shoes off the porch Tuesday morning and got a big nose full of some big maggoty fish lying in my finely manicured flower bed nearby. I guess a rambling dumbass cat brought us home a present from someone's cooler or something while we were away for the long July 4th holiday. Dunno, maybe an osprey dropped it, all I know is I blew chunks when it fell apart as I tried to pick it up. I Totally spewed and my mulch was tainted with chunks of maggot fish and then even moar chunks of what I think was a ribeye. My sides are still sore from heaving, and I spread some new mulch around, . . . so there, that is what I did to my house recently.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

oldskool wrote:I fertilized my finely manicured flower bed.
There. FIFY.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The garage door opener has been noisy lately. So Saturday I started investigating, figuring it was just getting old but maybe lubing something or aligning it might do some good. Well, the broken spring seems to have been the problem, I'm amazed it was working as well as it was. A new spring for just under a hundred :shock: a couple of hours and it's back to being regular noisy, not extra noisy.

Math and physics dept. Once I found someplace that would sell springs without insisting on putting them in, first the guy on the counter was clueless. The woman in back knew what was going on, but didn't seem real happy. Was puzzled at my dimension of .220" wire diameter, said they only had .218 or .225, suggesting .225 was close. I said lets go with the .218. Then brought one out that was roughly 10% larger OD and said it would work and be stronger with more lifting power since it was larger. Oblivious to the fact that something that's 10% longer will bend easier. So I gave it 10% more preload, no thanks to her knowledge of physics. Oh well, it works.
jhall

Post by jhall »

Bumping this thread as I finally have something I'm excited to share. Ever since we purchased our home about 8 years ago the brown paneling has bothered me. It wasn't enough to turn us off the house at purchase time but it was something we always knew we'd change at some time. That time has come and I'm absolutely enamored with the progress. Also I know many of us here are do it all types, as I also consider myself, but this time I hired out and I'm very glad I did.

A few Before:

progress: