What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
vinceg101

Re: What Did You Do To Your House Recently?

Post by vinceg101 »

You should have just annexed the barn by rebuilding your fence around it. Either that or just cut a hole through the fence into the barn.
Heck, it's working (sort of) for Russia.
glowell222

Post by glowell222 »

I recently temporarily repurposed the upper floor furnace exhaust flue for use as an exhaust for the attic, using some flex duct and a 6" high velocity in-line fan with a line-voltage thermostat.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

I'm converting the former Tiki Bar into a listening room/Man Cave.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Karl Grau wrote: Jun 09, 2022 8:23 PM I'm converting the former Tiki Bar into a listening room/Man Cave.

Having enjoyed a couple of St Paddy's day evenings there I am partial to the Tiki Bar, but the ManCave/Porsche isn't a bad look either. But I thought you sold you're 911 a few years back? One question though, is that hard, acoustically speaking, tile good for sounds?
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 10, 2022 7:40 PMHaving enjoyed a couple of St Paddy's day evenings there I am partial to the Tiki Bar, but the ManCave/Porsche isn't a bad look either. But I thought you sold you're 911 a few years back? One question though, is that hard, acoustically speaking, tile good for sounds?
Yes, the tile is bad for sound. I'm think of adding some carpet. I'm going to retire sometime in the next six months so this stereo system is going to go in the fabulous workshop my retirement home is going to have. :up:

I did sell the '70 911T but I replaced it with a 996 five years ago.

cek

Post by cek »

[quote="Karl Grau" post_id=1513847 time=1654906572 user_id=6677

[/quote]

Love that car.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

A friend and I built this in 3 days, a 200 sq ft “she shed”. It mirrors the design of our house and will also be, in essence, a potting shed. Still lots to do.
It turns out I have partially torn rotator cuff muscles from taking a high speed wipe out skiing about 5 years ago that was was aggravated after nailing rafters and things. I got a cortisone shot today for the first time.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Nice! I've read of hubbies commandeering these & adding TVs,bars & shelves for their whiskeys - you might consider one to match!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gwb72tii wrote: Jul 08, 2022 10:09 PM A friend and I built this in 3 days, a 200 sq ft “she shed”. It mirrors the design of our house and will also be, in essence, a potting shed. Still lots to do.
It turns out I have partially torn rotator cuff muscles from taking a high speed wipe out skiing about 5 years ago that was was aggravated after nailing rafters and things. I got a cortisone shot today for the first time.
Looks good, but 3 days? Does that include forming and pouring the slab?
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

no, not the slab. My ex-inlaw runs a concrete business and poured it when were in Spain.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

John in VA wrote: Jul 10, 2022 9:40 AM Nice! I've read of hubbies commandeering these & adding TVs,bars & shelves for their whiskeys - you might consider one to match!
in the interest if staying married I'm not sure that is going to happen!
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

plumbed in the outdoor shower. It was installed years ago by a "professional" plumber with PEX. One year later the PEX turned to dust. Between that point and now the house had been re-sided and we got a proper enclosure thing for it. Finally got tired of looking at the parts, so I bought some copper and soldered up piping to it. Copper won't fail in the sun, and solder won't dry out and leak like an O-ring fitting will. Put drain elbows on it so it won't freeze in the winter too. Stainless hardware to hold the faucet to the wall of the enclosure, brass screws on the copper pipe straps so none of it should rust.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

added a front porch/deck (almost complete) to the she shed. Next will be a roof over the porch area.

Forgot to mention that I used a friend's Roto-hammer that drills holes in concrete to attach the deck to the foundation. I originally tried to drill the holes with my 20v drill and it was working, but slowly. The Roto-hammer drills holes in concrete like a regular drill into wood. The construction guys here know what I mean, pretty impressive technology.

Erected a post/beam today. Roof joists will come down off the wall on the same 3/12 angle of the roof and hang over the beam by about 18”
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

started the roof over the front porch/deck
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Got the front porch roof completed, and the Hardie board siding with board and batten put on.
I feel guilty as I separated a muscle in my shoulder and actually cannot swing a hammer, so I help with my left hand and give instructions to my son-in-law who is about the hardest working person I know.

gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

waiting on someone else to do something. Had a roof done on the front part of the house about 6 months ago. Its a flat roof with drains. They built up the roof so its not basically a swimming pool up there, but for some reason instead of just pitching it a bit so it sheds off the front, they left the drains and formed low spots for water to collect in around them. There is now a gap between the drains and the roof material so the water runs in. Co was supposed to come fix it today, and its the first time we've gotten rain in weeks so of course they aren't fixing my roof. The roof leaks and it ruined the drywall in the front room. So far I've been able to catch it in buckets to keep it from ruining the carpet too. The roof warranty says it will cover any damage caused by failure in the roof but I just know its going to be like pulling teeth to get it fixed.

flat roofs are stupid and anyone that thinks otherwise should be forced to live with one.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No glamorous pictures, but in the past week or so

Christmas Lights, including the Santa in an Airplane blow up on the roof. Had it over a decade now, faded, and the wings are dropping and I think I'm going to pull his planes airworthness certificate at the end of this season.

The Dryer. Wife kept saying it wasn't drying anymore, thought the heating element was going out. It's electric, so the heating element either works or it doesn't. I replaced the cycling stat, it's a snap device, so finite life. No help. So I pulled it out and started ohming everything out. And everything checked good. I'd pulled the pipe apart a while ago when she first started complaining, and it was clear. Turned out the thimble at the end of the vent pipe was plugged. Cleared, problem solved.

Then the water heater. Noticed it wasn't quite as hot in the shower as it should be, but we've had cold weather. Next AM wife said we have a problem. Pilot wouldn't light. I just happened to have a spare gas valve assy, (long story) so in it went. Ignition, yes we do, here we go. Better not fail again as it appears to be NLA now with similar replacements pushing $200. New the whole thing was ~4 something.

Then working on the dryer, I had to manipulate the washer some. Cracked the end on the cold supply hose. Bosch washer, nice nylon braided hose, washers still nice and soft, but a crappy plastic end fitting that cracked. Not a big surprise, the hot went a couple of years ago.

I think that's all for this week. :roll:
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

roof still isn't fixed. The repair has been re-scheduled several times now. At this point I'm not sure if the goal is to put me off until I give up, or because they just don't have any idea how to fix the problem.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

It's been a couple years since I last visited this thread; just spent the last hour catching up on everyone's home improvement projects, and I feel like a slouch!

Our "new" house is feeling more like home these days. We haven't done any major renovations, just little things here and there, like a gate at the top of the deck stairs to contain the grandkids and keep them where we want them. It works for now, but the eldest grandson is 3, and the twins are 2 1/2, so we expect that they'll master the baby locks by next summer!

The latest project was replacing the heater I installed in the workshop last year. I acquired this beast in a swap with a friend. It worked great, but is designed for a vertical vent, which I wasn't able to do because of the core floor and several inches of concrete above my workshop. I thought a short piece of upward-sloping pipe leading to a vertical chimney outside the wall would be enough; while it worked ok most of the time, using the heater with a south wind would cause some of the exhaust gasses to get pushed back into the shop and make the CO2 alarm go off. Because of that, I would only use it while I was in there rather than to keep it at a consistent temp.

This fall I broke down and replaced it with a modern heater that has a power venting system designed to vent the exhaust through the sidewall. I got it installed two weekends ago (no photos yet) and it works beautifully. I keep the thermostat at 50°F most of the time, and bump it up to 60 or so when I'm in there. And I'm finding that I'm in there a lot more this year than last, partly because it's more comfortable in there, but more because I actually am collecting some tools that make being in there more productive. I added a jointer and a thickness planer to the shop, which allow me to produce sawdust at a record rate. Not much more than sawdust, but that's something, right?
krhodes1

Post by krhodes1 »

Thanks to Hurricane Ian, I got to replace the roof and front of the house soffit on my little winter shack in Florida. I did the soffit myself, and the roof cost more than the really nice 128i convertible that lives in the garage that I bought a couple years ago. Upgraded to metal though, shouldn't come off in the next big blow! The big silver-blue German is a result of the hurricane too. My mom's '01 Camry drowned, so I gave her the '04 Volvo V70 that was my grocery getter in FL and bought the big Benz to replace it. '14 E350 with 70K on it. Drives like a silk-wrapped bowling ball, is nowhere near as much fun as a BMW, but it makes a nice pair with the 128i.

ImageIMG_0754 by kevinr1916, on Flickr

Sadly, my next-door neighbor lost three big live oaks that shaded my driveway all winter long. But at least I didn't have to cough up the $6K for the tree debris removal.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Here is the nearly completed "she shed" with the fenced in garden area to keep deer out. Almost done, and I am ready to be done with this project.