Switching from Audi to BMW .. Introduction/couple questions!

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
nkemp86

Switching from Audi to BMW .. Introduction/couple questions!

Post by nkemp86 »

Whats up everyone, my name is Nick, just joined the forum so I thought I'd give a quick intro and some info on my current situation. As stated in the title I'm contemplating making the switch from my current B5 S4 to an E28 (preferably a 535is). Even tho I love my S4, I've had it for over 3 years now and have sort of grown tired of it. I have done every possible bolt on mod that you can do to it without going internal on the motor (turbos,exhaust, etc..). The car makes 450whp and is an absolute blast to drive, but I guess at 27 I'm kinda growing out of the whole "tuning and speed" aspect of the car. Not to mention it's a needy little bitch and constantly requires attention with small things that I feel like are always going wrong (kinda sounds like an ex gf of mine lol) and the parts for the car are crazy expensive. With that being said I would now rather go for style points instead of performance ones, hence my interest in an E28. So, my question to you guys is, if I can get my hands on a really clean well kept 535is (kinda like the diamond schwartz euro converted one that just sold in the classifieds :cry: ) What can I expect to be spending on maintenance? Are the parts for these cars as expensive as ones for my Audi? (ie. nothing is under $100 no matter how small!) And what common problems can I expect with an E28? Thanks in advance!!
w0014170

Post by w0014170 »

This reminds me of going from a rocket sled to a skateboard & being happy with the transition :brick: :brick: :poke:
cek

Post by cek »

I've been shocked with how inexpensive SOME parts for the E28 are, even new. But then shocked with how some are simply unobtanium.

I say go for it.

But you should also post pics of your S4 and be prepared to post lots of pics of your 'new' 535is when you get it.

:pics!:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to the group!

Really they're pretty cheap to work on, parts wise at least. I say the front end is the weak point, some of us have warped brake rotors a lot, others haven't. Heater valve can be a recurring problem, but a kit is cheap. They have their issues and quirks, things do wear out and fail, the newest are over 25 years old now, but overall they're pretty long lasting. Here's a post of mine from a while ago.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=32737
jhall

Post by jhall »

Hi Nick!

About two years ago I had a C5 A6 2.7t as well as my 1985 535i. I sold the audi and bought my 1988 535is for a song.

I don't know what you want out of the car you drive but in my mind an e28 is just a simple, enjoyable machine.
genzox

Post by genzox »

Welcome to the forum! :banana:
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Welcome to the forum. Unless you get a "boosted" 535 you are going to be disappointed with the go factor compared to your Audi. Luckily we have a forum member that can fix you right up. http://www.mye28.com/profile.php?mode=v ... le&u=14536
Just remember the newest of these cars are now over 25 years old and when you are searching for one find the absolute best car you can as a starting point. We also have a "2 grand rule" that should be remembered when shopping. It will generally cost about $ 2000.00 in parts to "baseline" a car that has been neglected.
Again welcome and enjoy your stay. It pays to review the FAQs and not have a thin skin when starting here. That said, you will not find a better community or better resource for E28 information any where else on the web.
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

I too had an A6 Avant, and there are things I miss, and some I don't. The one thing that is an important factor is the fact that because of it's age, parts are slowly becoming no longer available at the dealer. To own and enjoy one, you need to be open to using used parts in some cases. As time marches on, the more mechanically inclined you need to be, but that's true of owning any older car..
nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

Thanks for the info so far!! This forum is def welcoming and it seems like everyone is out to help each other. I have been a member of Audizine since I got my car and let me tell ya those guys will flame you for ANYTHING! I realize that I won't have the up and go in an e28 like my S (unless I turbo it) but like I said I'm kinda getting over the whole speed factor and just want something simple that I can cruise in and looks damn good cleaned up on a nice set of style 5's! E28's to me are timeless and just have so much style for their era, I think that's what draws me to them. But anyway if u guys know anyone that wants an s4 It's a 2002 only 60k miles tial 605's ER intercoolers epl tuned and a ton more all within the last 5k miles here's a couple pics ...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

nkemp86 wrote:Thanks for the info so far!! This forum is def welcoming and it seems like everyone is out to help each other. I have been a member of Audizine since I got my car and let me tell ya those guys will flame you for ANYTHING!
You made a good first post, that goes a long ways. This group can give newcomers a real hazing if they're not careful. :roll: But it's also a real supportive bunch too, kind of like a family, lots of us have gotten to know others outside of the digital realm.
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

I haven't been a contributing member long enough to welcome anyone, though I can at least hand along a high 5 to anyone who turns in the keys to a B5 bi-turbo for a 535. If you are used to that kind of power and engine note, I might suggest an e28 with the S38 powerplant, though plenty here would likely disagree. I guess you could turbo almost any 5, though to re-tune a factory de-tuned race engine will keep the excitement level up for anyone who appreciates a car that will push them as much as they want to push their car. Try disagreeing after watching that Petrolicious M5 spot.
Honestly, I only really replied to this thread as I also switched from Ingolstadt imagination to Garching engineering and will only look back in the form of a winter car.
nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

^ thanks for all the input guys. yea I realize that its prolly gonna be a big change but I think thats just what I need. I love my car but I'm really beginning to hate that it's associated with vw with the way the whole scene is becoming. these kids are honestly ruining it with some of the shit they are putting on their cars these days. I just want something thats clean and simple, and I believe an e28 is just that
Chimi-Changa

Post by Chimi-Changa »

Hey all righty nice B5- Ive owned over 5 Audi's including a B5 S4 Avant 6speed that I clocked over 245K on original turbo's and clutch. Neat cars- but yes starting to look dated out there.

60K on an 02 are great miles- how much for that thing? ( I can ask around work, Audi tech's next door are always buying those things)

Anyone watch " Are you faster than a Redneck?" they had a B5 S4 Avant on that spanked everyone. It was pretty hillarious what they say about the import brands though... like pointing to the grill logo and singing: Four Stupid Rings ( sung all slow like 12 days of christmas)
Yes the turbo boost is adddictive, however there are so many great qualities of these cars, I dont miss a single Audi I have owned. ( especially working on them) Welcome!
Blue Shadow

Re: Switching from Audi to BMW .. Introduction/couple questions!

Post by Blue Shadow »

Hi Nick, welcome to the ownership side of myE28 now that you have a sweet Alpine/Cardinal is.

This thread, your earlier introduction and mention of wanting an E28 is 8 years old. Just now getting your first E28? Can you fill in the missing few years if there is something you'd like to say about that time?

Fire up that is and drop by. Not that far and the ride should be fun.
nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

Blue Shadow wrote: Sep 18, 2021 3:43 AM Hi Nick, welcome to the ownership side of myE28 now that you have a sweet Alpine/Cardinal is.

This thread, your earlier introduction and mention of wanting an E28 is 8 years old. Just now getting your first E28? Can you fill in the missing few years if there is something you'd like to say about that time?

Fire up that is and drop by. Not that far and the ride should be fun.
Wow, I honestly forgot I made this thread it's been so long!

I ended up keeping my b5 for a little while longer after posting this. It was a great car, with low miles and a ton of power. I also owned a B8.5 S4 that I maxed out with bolt on mods that was an awesome car as well. Sold that also, then ended up moving away for a few years and upon my return I decided it was finally time to find the e28 for me.

I looked at quite a few e28's and e34's before finding my is. But, none of them were in the condition I was looking for.

Everything just kind of fell into place with acquiring this car. Which makes me think that it was meant to be, even if it took 7+ years to find the right one lol.

Where are you located at in PA?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

West Chester, just off 202
nkemp86

Post by nkemp86 »

Blue Shadow wrote: Sep 18, 2021 10:43 AM West Chester, just off 202
Oh nice! You're not far at all.

Actually, I believe I'll be heading to Bryn Mawr tomorrow morning for Main Line Cars & Coffee.

https://mainlinecarsandcoffee.com/

Should be a good time!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Wonder if I'll be up for that tomorrow?