OT -- What's Your Favorite Beer?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
davintosh

OT -- What's Your Favorite Beer?

Post by davintosh »

Last weeks news follows... New conversation starting toward the bottom. :up:

A week from today I'll be hopping on board a jet aeroplane & flying across the pond to das Vaterland. Düsseldorf is the destination, to attend a print industry trade show*. I've got a room near the show for four nights (Friday thru Tuesday) but will have a couple of days free before returning home on Thursday afternoon. Since I have family living near Amsterdam, I'll be departing from Schiphol instead of Düsseldorf; it would be rude to be that close and not stop for a visit!

The show is big (huge, actually; 2000+ vendor displays) but having been to similar shows I'll be able to tolerate just so much each day, so any suggestions for good restaurants or sights to see nearby? And any suggestions for a short day trip on Tuesday & Wednesday? I've thought about a 'Ring Taxi ride, but it's probably far too short a notice to book a ride, and a BMW factory tour, but the thought of a 5 hour train ride from Düsseldorf to München... Nah; not this trip.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

* Drupa, in case you're mildly interested
Last edited by davintosh on May 14, 2012 11:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.
bhopp

Post by bhopp »

Yes, very familiar lived there for 4 years.
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

I lived there as well but it was a while ago. Fashion capitol of Germany (kind of like Milan, except the women are German.........ok, not like Milan). Koln is fairly close. Go see the cathedral. Drink with the locals in the aldstadt.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Any good museums, automobile-oriented or otherwise?

The guy I'm going with keeps going on about the beer gardens... I like beer -- especially good germanic beer -- as much as the next guy, but I hope to do more than sit around drinking beer. :dunno:
bhopp

Post by bhopp »

m-racer wrote:I lived there as well but it was a while ago. Fashion capitol of Germany (kind of like Milan, except the women are German.........ok, not like Milan). Koln is fairly close. Go see the cathedral. Drink with the locals in the aldstadt.
Yes, I would agree with the Kölner Dom. It's less than 30 minutes by train. You must climb the 500 or so steps for the view it's great and I believe they just got done restoring the glass.

A great day trip would be the Cochum Castle, it's my favorite castle and I've seen most of them.

I would also visit Kaiserswerth a suburb of Düsseldorf oldest part of the city right on the Rhine with awesome beer gardens. I used to live there it's great.
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

Another vote for Koln.

If you're even thinking about going to the ring, just get a rental. Just don't bend it up...
davem

Post by davem »

I was in Germany last summer, didn't go to Dusseldorf, but did stay in Koln for a day or two. Everyone is right, it's a great place.
chevale

Post by chevale »

davintosh wrote:Any good museums, automobile-oriented or otherwise?

The guy I'm going with keeps going on about the beer gardens... I like beer -- especially good germanic beer -- as much as the next guy, but I hope to do more than sit around drinking beer. :dunno:
I would suggest to drive to Sinsheim and Speyer technical Museums http://www.technik-museum.de/en
Not that far, they have 2 locations, I'd say you'll need at least a day for each location.
Amazing places.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Ok, so I'm here, and am wondering, if Germany/Europe is this supposedly socially and technically advanced utopia, why can't I get wireless internet in my hotel room, and why the FLOCK don't they have semi-comfortable mattresses in the rooms, and decently comfortable pillows on the beds, and something other than a six-inch thick insulation blanket for bedding. :roll:

That is all. For now. Squeezing way too much into my five minutes on the lobby wired connection before I run off for dinner. Schnitzel anybody? At least the bier ist gut (and the vendors freely open the taps after 5pm.) :up:
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

wrong hotel, methinks.
garageboy

Re: OT -- Anybody Familiar With Düsseldorf?

Post by garageboy »

davintosh wrote:A week from today I'll be hopping on board a jet aeroplane & flying across the pond to das Vaterland. Düsseldorf is the destination, to attend a print industry trade show*. I've got a room near the show for four nights (Friday thru Tuesday) but will have a couple of days free before returning home on Thursday afternoon. Since I have family living near Amsterdam, I'll be departing from Schiphol instead of Düsseldorf; it would be rude to be that close and not stop for a visit!
OMFG, it's so close this is an absolute no-brainer for me:
http://g.co/maps/wvudr

And before you go smoke your brains out in Amsterdam, and come up with excuses for why not... the answer is:
That is what rental cars are for! Of course, a few weeks ago, I scolded someone for going to the Ring with no training. So I'm clearly full of shit. :facepalm:

But if you're trained, it's Mecca. Believe me. Do it!

Gute reise!
.steve.
NYC
1988 528e, 5-speed, 93k miles, The Time Capsule
2001 530i, 5-speed, 116k miles, Almost a Time Capsule
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

m-racer wrote:wrong hotel, methinks.
Thanks, but no, it's a very nice hotel (better be for 169 euro a night.) But from my experience in Germany last year, the mattress is pretty typical of Europe in general. Wooden slats under a mattress filled with unknown semi-soft stuff. Pillow is large but filled with enough fluff as to make it virtually worthless (coming from a guy who usually uses a fairly firm pillow.) Fitted sheet on the mattress then a "comforter" style blanket type thing that you use as a blanket. Either too hot with it on or freezing with it off. Give me a set of flannel sheets and a blanket or two.

The upside of the trip; I think I found my new favorite beer ever (and it's not German!)

http://www.hetanker.be/
greentalks43

Post by greentalks43 »

That sounds like my favorite type of mustard.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Time to change things up a bit; I found my new all-time favorite ever beer. Gouden Carolus Altbier. Made in Belgium. It's awesome. No bitterness as is usually found with dark German beers; smooth and slightly sweet. Ambrosia.

What's your favorite?
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

That does sound tasty. I will have to look for that at the store next time I am there.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

My favorite is the Oaked Wee Heavy from Mad Fox brewing in Falls Church. I'm sure others make an oaked wee heavy, but i haven't seen them. They age their Scottish wee-heavy ale in whiskey barrels for 7 months. Delicious.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

I tried Ranger Creek Strawberry Milk Stout this weekend and was impressed. Definitely a different twist on a stout.
Mab1957

Post by Mab1957 »

Spaten served by maidens surrounded by BMWs. :D :beer:
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Mab1957 wrote:Spaten served by maidens surrounded by BMWs. :D :beer:
:banana:
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I should probably also add that Carolus probably has about 10% or better alcohol content... I discovered it at a vendor's booth earlier, and stopped by there again yesterday after the show. The taps were flowing freely, and I had three .25L glasses. I was feeling it after the second and probably shouldn't have had that third, but it just went down so smooooooooothly. For comparison, tonight I went out for dinner with my work buddy and had three half-liter glasses of standard German-brewed altbier and pilsner, and didn't feel half as buzzed as yesterday.

That Carolus packs a punch, baby. :shock:
rmiddendorf

Post by rmiddendorf »

Yuengling Lager and Yuengling Light. I know, I'm lame.

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

rmiddendorf wrote:Yuengling Lager and Yuengling Light. I know, I'm lame.
:rofl: ^^^^^ Sign that Rodney needs a Boys' Night Out! ;)
a

Post by a »

My favorite beer is the one I'm presently drinking. In truth, I have yet to find my favorite beer The search continues. My recent foray into Belgian beer was quite pleasant, Yeungling is a darn OK beer, Being the oldest brewery in the US and NFS in MA just adds to its character. About the only brews I havent been able to finish were both Sam Adams seasonals. October- Fest and double bock.
AlpinaE24

Post by AlpinaE24 »

rmiddendorf wrote:Yuengling Lager and Yuengling Light. I know, I'm lame.
Everybody loves lager, but favorite beer? nah.

Who can have just one? Far to many delicious beers

oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Cactus wrote:
Mab1957 wrote:Spaten served by maidens surrounded by BMWs. :D :beer:
:banana:
That's what I'm talking about, meow. That and some Chimay. Or what's in the guy's cooler sitting next to me as I run out and he runs to take a wizz.