St. Paddy’s Day 2023 San Diego, CA 3/17-18

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
wkohler

Re: St. Paddy’s Day 2023 San Diego, CA 3/17-18

Post by wkohler »

If you are interested in expanding your wardrobe, the shirt order thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159715
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Bump.
Just a tick over 1 week until this glorious event...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

vinceg101 wrote: Mar 08, 2023 8:32 PM Bump.
Just a tick over 1 week until this glorious event...
And the final reservations have been made.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Update re: Friday 3/17

Photopark has offered to host the festivities on Friday evening. He’s up in the Escondido area. Address will be provided to those who RSVP to Photopark directly.

There will be food and limited refreshments so bring what you’d like to enjoy with others.
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

OMG! I'M NOT READY!!!!

- Gotta plug multiple oil leaks, radiator leaks, and whatever other goo is leaking!
- Fix damn Glow Plug issue (don't break anything else!)
- Clean car
- Clean interior

Called in sick for the week. Now, Breathe, Relax, drink beer! That's better...

"GOD DAMNIT JIM! I'M A DOCTOR NOT A BMW MECHANIC!"

:wrenchtime: :wrenchtime: :wrenchtime:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

OK, 20 questions now that I'm a couple of days away from leaving.

Friday Afternoon. I don't think I'll be there in time, but anything going on? Few years ago there was a group that met at a restaurant out by the ocean.

Friday night. I think I've got it. Got the address, food will be there but BYOB.

Saturday. I've got the address for La Jolla Independent, is it really as close as it looks? 3 miles or something? Does it start right after we get kicked out, if we do? Or is there sort of a lag like starting at noon or 1 or whatever? Lunch seems to be covered, but what about beer? Included with appropriate donation, BYOB? Or given it's not at a private home is it off limits? I know Chris doesn't indulge, but we do have a certain, shall I say, reputation?

And guys, don't forget a donation to cover the expenses for our generous hosts. Too much is better than not enough, they're putting a lot on the line for us to invade their space, so if there's a little left over for something for a spouse or SO, it's not a bad thing.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 14, 2023 11:32 PM OK, 20 questions now that I'm a couple of days away from leaving.

Friday Afternoon. I don't think I'll be there in time, but anything going on? Few years ago there was a group that met at a restaurant out by the ocean.
Short answer is yes. There was chatter amongst folks for the usual spot in Ocean Beach, the only thing I know at the moment is "the place that serves lobster tacos". Will track down a name at least. [EDIT: Place is named South Beach Bar & Grille: 5059 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107. No idea of times or whom will be there.]
Mike W. wrote: Mar 14, 2023 11:32 PM Friday night. I think I've got it. Got the address, food will be there but BYOB.
Correct. Menu will also be street tacos the last I heard.
Mike W. wrote: Mar 14, 2023 11:32 PM Saturday. I've got the address for La Jolla Independent, is it really as close as it looks? 3 miles or something? Does it start right after we get kicked out, if we do? Or is there sort of a lag like starting at noon or 1 or whatever? Lunch seems to be covered, but what about beer? Included with appropriate donation, BYOB? Or given it's not at a private home is it off limits? I know Chris doesn't indulge, but we do have a certain, shall I say, reputation?
Yes, its just a short hop, skip and jump from the Boat Trailer Parking Lot. Address for LJI is: 5535 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla, CA 92037.
BTW, the closest specific address for said parking lot is: 2688 E Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
Yes, Carl put out a great spread last year for food and I don't expect any different this year. Standard unleaded beverages are supplied (water, soda, etc.) but leaded versions are usually BYOB. There might be some extra beer (IIRC there was usually more than enough to go around last year).
Mike W. wrote: Mar 14, 2023 11:32 PM And guys, don't forget a donation to cover the expenses for our generous hosts. Too much is better than not enough, they're putting a lot on the line for us to invade their space, so if there's a little left over for something for a spouse or SO, it's not a bad thing.
Yes, most emphatically YES! For both Friday night and Saturday. Doug and Carl are being extremely generous and accommodating; show your appreciation even if they defer. Those gestures go a long way to convince these folks to keep this up year in and year out; we all benefit from gatherings like these.
Hermes

Post by Hermes »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 14, 2023 11:32 PM Saturday. I've got the address for La Jolla Independent, is it really as close as it looks? 3 miles or something? Does it start right after we get kicked out, if we do? Or is there sort of a lag like starting at noon or 1 or whatever? Lunch seems to be covered, but what about beer? Included with appropriate donation, BYOB? Or given it's not at a private home is it off limits? I know Chris doesn't indulge, but we do have a certain, shall I say, reputation?
We will have food and beer, but more beer is always appreciated.

The real question is what ugly ass shoes is Kohler gonna wear this year?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Hermes wrote: Mar 15, 2023 1:00 PM
The real question is what ugly ass shoes is Kohler gonna wear this year?
I am sure I've got something you'll love but I'm not sure if my new pair will arrive before I leave. Will be so sad to know it's at my house when I'm in Yuma or something. I should have had them shipped to Darin's. Dang it.
Germz

Post by Germz »

what time will everyone be meeting at Mission Bay tomorrow?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Usually most roll into between 9 and 10am. But others will likely be there earlier.
In case you're trying to enter an address into Google Maps and are too lazy to look it up, use this address (it's the EV charger in the Boat Trailer Parking Lot): 2688 E Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I plagiarized Vince's post and put it in context in the original post should anyone have questions about the meeting time tomorrow.
formula1_euro

Post by formula1_euro »

Ok so Saturday party starts at 9am? At the boat dock parking lot. Show up before 10am.
Gary Collins

Post by Gary Collins »

Is there an address for Friday night …???
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

Unfortunately folks, I’m a NO SHOW this time around with freakin’ Covid-19.

I’m not a happy camper. Enjoy, post pics, eat food, drink merrily; Look at everyone’s nice rides…not much I can do about it. This sucks!!

Pablo
:haul:
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

:kewlpics: /sarcasm

I know it’s kinda early on the Sunday after; just a reminder. :cool:
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Here are a couple photos I got by text message. Looks like some yahoo with a VW Beetle crashed the party. :laugh:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

davintosh wrote: Mar 19, 2023 1:08 PM
Looks like some yahoo with a VW Beetle crashed the party. :laugh:
The best/worst of that was an old low rider that went cruising thru, right thru the middle of all the cars, with hydraulics, crashed the front end down grinding on the pavement as he went by. :facepalm: Making a statement, but what I'm not sure. I thought it was funny/silly. Takes much more than that to offend me.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

OK, here we go. Good time was had by all, nobody overindulged that I saw like in some years past. Modest turnout Friday night, 20 people maybe. Lots on Saturday both at the boat launch and La Jolla Inependent.

Big tip of the hat to our gracious hosts Doug and Carl, they both acted like it was no big deal, but inviting a bunch of guys into your house to drink beer and BS is not for the meek.

Lots of old faces, Chris K, Vince, Eric Q, Darin looking good and healthy, Charles, Ray from Phoenix, Ricky, Devinder, John SCB, Francis (I'll remember his name one of these years in person), Ivo, Kim, CEK, myself and others

Some notable new guys, Frank I think it is, Ray's son who held his own with all us old farts and a bunch whose names escape me.

Weather was just about perfect, there was a parade of people carrying surfboards on the way to Carl's place along with runners and walkers, bikers, scooterers providing all the stereotype Southern California image and beauty in spades. It would have almost been worth the trip just to watch everybody. Carl has a huge place, an old dealership stocked with all sorts of new and new parts, along with a showroom for his personal collection. Great guys, one and all. Oh yeah, lots of cool cars too, but as always, the cars are the vehicles to get the people together. Parking at the beach was a little less organized this year so while there were lots of cars, they were more spread out which didn't make for good group shots.

And now onto the proof in pictures.

Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

It was great seeing everyone.

Mike W. wrote: Mar 21, 2023 1:34 AM Carl has a huge place, an old dealership

cek

Post by cek »

Great people, great cars, and great weather. Thanks to everyone who helped organize, host, and show up! Vince, Chris, Doug, Carl, and a host of others. You all rock!

Darin, it was FREAKING AWESOME seeing you looking so great. <3

Jens, thanks for being my uber.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Everything those guys said and a lot more.
It takes a village to put on a car party and this weekend was no exception. Meet all the old friends and met some new folks, which is always good and what this group is all about. All in all, cool people and cool cars.

Many thanks to Doug (photopark) for hosting the Friday Night Thing (I think this is the new name); it may have been a drive for most but was worth the effort. More thanks to everyone who brought food and cooked.

Again many thanks to Carl Nelson for once again opening up La Jolla Independent for our open house on Saturday. And to Jerry who manned the grille to feed the hoards and masses.

Lots of thanks and appreciation to those who helped make this happen: Chris (wkohler) and Ivo (ovide) and probably a bunch others I can't think of.

In no particular order:
ImageImage
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

Great pics Vince, as always thank you. Sadly no pics of Murphy :(
The weather could not have been better. Indeed a great gathering.
:roundel:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Wait a minute, was there a Farah cup award this year or did I miss it? I can't say she was ever my type, but it is a prestigious award. :bow:
_das_bae_

Post by _das_bae_ »

Hello All! Thank you for hosting, it was so great meeting everyone at the meet! I'm glad I made the trek all the way from Norcal... honestly, one of the best/most fun times I've had at a car meet in a while!! You all made me feel like family and so excited to own an E28 :D

I know I didn't get to chat with everyone but feel free to reach out if you want me to email you the full-resolution file.
P.S.:My E28 is the one with the 'carboxy' plate