Future shock

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
stuartinmn

Future shock

Post by stuartinmn »

I brought my e30 to the shop today (they're trying to figure out why the ABS isn't working.) They gave me a 2019 330i xdrive as a loaner car...I feel like I've been transported into the future. :) I've never driven a car this new, it took a while to figure out how to just start the thing and put it in gear, never mind all the other modern features. I guess it's a pretty nice car but it seems pretty soulless, just a form of transportation.
BMWCCA2

Re: Future shock

Post by BMWCCA2 »

If it's a dealer, they're likely just as confused with your E30!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

No, it's my local indy shop. They're well versed in older cars.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

The newer cars are certainly a lot different than the cars we gush over in this page. There are some that are still very fun to drive, but many are soulless, as you described. The biggest difference from my point of view is how fast new cars are. If you ever have some idle time, test drive a few vehicles that pique your interest and you may be amazed at what is available to the buying public nowadays.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Your description of newer BMW cars being soulless is spot on. I owned a e92 328xi, sport package, manual tranny, and while it was a very nice car it gave you no sensation of how fast you were going or that you actually had to drive the car. I would be going faster than I thought but the car never told me that.
It’s one reason why I’m going back to an e28.
Panici

Post by Panici »

stuartinmn wrote: Oct 04, 2022 2:35 PMI guess it's a pretty nice car but it seems pretty soulless, just a form of transportation.
You've described the vast majority of new cars.
On the whole, people see cars as merely transportation. They are always plugged-in with modern tech and don't know what it's like to drive something that connects you to the road.

Often my commute in an older/classic car is the highlight of my day.
It's the reason why the newest I own is a 2004 (but was designed in the mid 90s).

IMO even a slow "featureless" old car is engaging to drive if it's got a manual transmission.
Also, you have to ring out something with 100HP just to keep up with modern traffic. 😆

My taste seems to be gravitating to even older cars as of late. Playing with the idea of a 70s era BMW 2002 project. But the cost of entry is pretty steep, so it may be a while before that happens.
gwb72tii

AWEDFGHJ MK, MKNJBHCFDXESZAWQaghjkm,., mcdfxsz

Post by gwb72tii »

not sure what you mean by steep but you can find roundies that need help/restoration for under $5k
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I'm not really sure what's meant by soulless, but I do know I find them exasperating to drive. Climate control in particular is a frustration, it always seems to know just how to make it uncomfortable for me and if I change settings, it will revert in time, because clearly I'm too stupid to know what is comfortable and some guy in a cubical in Japan or elsewhere does, and is so sure of himself I shouldn't be allowed to control things. A/Ts that are mandatory, perhaps reliable, but function so poorly it's dumbfounding.

I will give credit to some impressive engines and fuel efficiency, but so far as driving them, eh, no thanks.
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Oct 05, 2022 3:17 PM not sure what you mean by steep but you can find roundies that need help/restoration for under $5k
Not up in Canada unfortunately.
Road salt claims all.

Only good cars left are previously restored, southern USA imports, or sunday drivers.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Panici wrote: Oct 05, 2022 10:38 AMOften my commute in an older/classic car is the highlight of my day.
It's the reason why the newest I own is a 2004 (but was designed in the mid 90s).

My taste seems to be gravitating to even older cars as of late. Playing with the idea of a 70s era BMW 2002 project. But the cost of entry is pretty steep, so it may be a while before that happens.
Having owned 2002s since the were new, I'd suggest you try a stick E82 128i. My 2013 M-sport 6-speed is close to exactly the same size as a 2002 but with twice the power of a 2002tii with working a/c, bluetooth, no valve adjustments, better brakes, better rust protection, etc. Makes every commute an event. Destined to become a future classic and prices have nearly doubled since Bring-a-Trailer dropped their prohibition for hosting E82s other than the 1M. Grab one while you can.

I had the opportunity to take a short turn behind the wheel of a 2002turbo I've known for decades, just after its $100k+ restoration and turbo improvements. Nice trip down memory lane but honestly, the 128i Msport drive home assured me I had the right car, for 1/20th the current price of the turbo. I know, not the same, but that depends on why you drive what you drive. Is it to have fun and make the drive more engaging and enjoyable? :dunno:
Last edited by BMWCCA2 on Oct 06, 2022 8:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Panici

Post by Panici »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 06, 2022 8:14 AM Having owned 2002s since the were new, I'd suggest you try a stick E82 128i. My 2012 M-sport 6-speed is close to exactly the same size as a 2002 but with twice the power of a 2002tii with working a/c, bluetooth, no valve adjustments, better brakes, better rust protection, etc.

Is it to have fun and make the drive more engaging and enjoyable?
I've heard good things about the 1-series. They can be had for less money then a 2002 in this area for sure.
If I needed to have a single vehicle to be a reliable daily then it would be a good choice.

Part of the reason I like classics is to make the drive engaging and enjoyable as you've said. But the other part is restoring/modifying and bringing back cars that haven't been cared for properly.

Things like bluetooth have zero interest to me. When I'm driving the phone goes away, and music is provided by radio DJs.
I will admit that A/C would be nice on some hot days, but I have adapted to windows down and cold water on a hot summer's day 🙂

With regards to power, my E30 makes enough to blow the tires off in 2nd when it comes on boost. My Miata can hit the revlimiter in top gear with the speedo pegged (at the track of course). And that is to say nothing of my R6 which demands way more then I can provide as an occasional track rider these days.
But it is often more fun to drive a slow car quickly, then baby a fast car to keep it legal on public roads.
Sometimes knowing that the car is trying it's best just to keep up with traffic :laugh:

I'm reminded of my late father's old 1973 Yamaha RD250. Two-stroke 250cc with a 6-speed box. Had to ring the thing out just to get going, but boy was it fun! I still have it in the shed, will make it sing again some day.

Plus old cars have quirks. Even something that has been gone through will always have those little issues which make it endearing to me.

Here is the RD250 in 2008, when I stopped for a break.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Panici wrote: Oct 06, 2022 8:31 AM But it is often more fun to drive a slow car quickly, then baby a fast car to keep it legal on public roads.
Sometimes knowing that the car is trying it's best just to keep up with traffic :laugh:
My tii is slow by today’s standards, but is still a blast to drive, and still a challenge to drive properly.
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Oct 06, 2022 9:10 AM My tii is slow by today’s standards, but is still a blast to drive, and still a challenge to drive properly.
That sounds perfect to me.
My hope is that driving an 02 takes you back to a simpler time.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Only for wifey if she wants it.

Her current daily is a '97 ZJ that she searched for and purchased all on her own.
Well, she did need someone to go with her to check it out. :heehee:

Now if she only could/would :wrenchtime: . :laugh:
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Panici wrote: Oct 06, 2022 8:31 AMI've heard good things about the 1-series. They can be had for less money then a 2002 in this area for sure.
If I needed to have a single vehicle to be a reliable daily then it would be a good choice.
I have my '74 2002tii and an '06 330ci ZHP 6-speed for the fun times. E39 auto for my daily driver. Got my wife an F22 228i 6-speed M-Tech for her daily - I never get to drive it!
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Panici wrote: Oct 06, 2022 9:33 AM
gwb72tii wrote: Oct 06, 2022 9:10 AM My tii is slow by today’s standards, but is still a blast to drive, and still a challenge to drive properly.
That sounds perfect to me.
My hope is that driving an 02 takes you back to a simpler time.
It does, but you’ll realize quickly how small a 2002 is by today’s standards, and that all a 2002 is is a sheet metal box, no protection in case of an accident. And in reality an e28 is a small car as well, but beefier.
LadyCosmos5

Post by LadyCosmos5 »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 04, 2022 3:44 PM If it's a dealer, they're likely just as confused with your E30!
I had that happen with my E30, they couldn’t figure out how to open the hood :laugh:
Panici

Post by Panici »

gwb72tii wrote: Oct 07, 2022 9:58 AM It does, but you’ll realize quickly how small a 2002 is by today’s standards, and that all a 2002 is is a sheet metal box, no protection in case of an accident. And in reality an e28 is a small car as well, but beefier.
I actually test drove a '75 2002 on Friday! Same tin can feeling as my miata, but with better visibility.
I did quite like the unpowered steering through the thin-rimmed wood Nardi wheel.
It was a local Bring A Trailer auction. Unfortunately it went for more then I was willing to spend.

As for crash safety, I'd rather die driving something I love then be bored driving something I hate.🤷‍♂️

LadyCosmos5 wrote: Oct 09, 2022 12:16 PM I had that happen with my E30, they couldn’t figure out how to open the hood :laugh:
:rofl:
Have to love the reverse opening hood!
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

I definitely understand and agree in a way about how it is soulless, yet I am considering a 330xi actually. For my commute and lifestyle including where I live and having a new born I think it'll be nice to not have to be constantly working on something and gain some features like all wheel drive. Better safety rating, brakes, things like no valve adjustments like mentioned above, etc. Yes it doesn't provide the same driving pleasure as older cars but I think they're still enjoyable and fun to drive. If you can have the best of both worlds I would say go for it. In my state/city it is really difficult to have multiple cars.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Panici wrote: Oct 05, 2022 10:38 AM Often my commute in an older/classic car is the highlight of my day.
Why isn't the 2004 in your signature? #curious
Panici

Post by Panici »

garageboy wrote: Oct 13, 2022 3:19 AM
Panici wrote: Oct 05, 2022 10:38 AM Often my commute in an older/classic car is the highlight of my day.
Why isn't the 2004 in your signature? #curious
Only so much room :laugh:
2004 Jeep TJ i've owned since 2007. Had big plans for it initially but then other cars/motorcycles got in the way.
Still would like to do a long-arm suspension lift some day!
http://jeep.panici.ca

Just put new door seals in it last week actually.
Last edited by Panici on Oct 13, 2022 4:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

Well I just put my order in for a my23 330xi lol. I’m excited to give my impression of the car when it arrives. I miss my e28 and hope to replace it one day but this should hold me over for a while.