Glass - windshield protection

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Tom4444

Glass - windshield protection

Post by Tom4444 »

Planning a road trip and wanted to see if there was any windshield protection I could apply. Any recommendations or has anyone tried the following products?

Invisible Glass 95151 Ceramic Glass Coating Professional Grade Windshield Hydrophobic Protection Heat Resistant Doubles Glass Hardness Great for First Timers, Weekend Washers, and Detailing Fanatics https://a.co/d/8TsHsN3

https://www.getexoshield.com/

FILBA Windshield Repair Kit, Car Windshield Crack Repair Kit Glass Repair Kit for Repairing Auto Glasses Windshield/Cracks/Chip/Bulls-Eye/Spider Web/Star-Shaped/Half-Moon with Windshield Repair Resin https://a.co/d/9WYB4r0

Thinking of a few things I can do before driving (film or spray to decrease chances of a crack) and buying a repair kit just in case.
1st 5er

Re: Glass - windshield protection

Post by 1st 5er »

Tom4444 wrote: Aug 16, 2022 9:38 AM

https://www.getexoshield.com/

Subscribing for comments.

Reply from my tint guy when asked if he was familiar with the above or similar product:
"Yes. There's nothing you can put on the outside of your windshield that will stop rock chips and debris from damaging the windshield. Infact, once you start using your wipers, it'll start leaving tiny scratches in the the product."

I've had my front windscreen ceramic film coated,
but on the inside for heat transfer reduction.
It works.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

A patchwork of tablet screen covers...yeah that's the ticket.
Federico

Post by Federico »

Speaking of cracks, there's really nothing that you could wipe on and help prevent them.
Back in the day, when many Argentine motorways were unpaved, you could get wire mesh or Plexiglass protectors for your windshield.
That's the only thing that could work, but it would look like shite:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you want peace of mind, just buy a spare windshield and keep it in storage.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

ClearPlex is another option to Exoshield.
Tom4444

Post by Tom4444 »

John in VA wrote: Aug 16, 2022 12:31 PM ClearPlex is another option to Exoshield.
Any experience w/ the product?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Tom4444 wrote: Aug 16, 2022 5:55 PM Any experience w/ the product?
No, but I'm happy with Madico Charcool automotive window tint.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Looking at the one it says it's 4 mil. That's .004 inches. Really thin. I seriously doubt it would do much good, regardless of their claims.

Something you could do, pretty flaky, is to get some say, 1/16" polycarbonate/Lexan and double face tape it to the outside. That's the stuff they use to make bulletproof glass, it's very tough stuff. You could do just the top, say 6", which is where most rock strikes are, but then you'd have to taper it for the wipers. The downside is while near unbreakable, is it's soft and scratch prone. Odd combination, but that's what it is.

IMO you just need to bit the bullet and hope. Broken windshields from rocks are what, every 200K on average? :dunno: So if it's a 2K trip, it's 1% chance of it happening.
Tom4444

Post by Tom4444 »

Mike W. wrote: Aug 16, 2022 8:52 PM Looking at the one it says it's 4 mil. That's .004 inches. Really thin. I seriously doubt it would do much good, regardless of their claims.

Something you could do, pretty flaky, is to get some say, 1/16" polycarbonate/Lexan and double face tape it to the outside. That's the stuff they use to make bulletproof glass, it's very tough stuff. You could do just the top, say 6", which is where most rock strikes are, but then you'd have to taper it for the wipers. The downside is while near unbreakable, is it's soft and scratch prone. Odd combination, but that's what it is.

IMO you just need to bit the bullet and hope. Broken windshields from rocks are what, every 200K on average? :dunno: So if it's a 2K trip, it's 1% chance of it happening.
haha...love the statistical calculation here
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Tom4444 wrote: Aug 17, 2022 11:23 PM
haha...love the statistical calculation here
I can't help it. :oops: I just do it automatically.
Nanajoth

Post by Nanajoth »

Gtechniq G1 is what I use. I have seen it last anywhere from 10-15K miles.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Mike W. wrote: Aug 16, 2022 8:52 PM Looking at the one it says it's 4 mil. That's .004 inches. Really thin. I seriously doubt it would do much good, regardless of their claims.
Actual breaks in the windshield are relatively rare, the larger problem is the gradual sandblasting that every windshield gets over time. I think the film would protect against that happening.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

I'd be more worried about protecting my car's paint vs the windshield
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

stuartinmn wrote: Aug 25, 2022 3:18 PM
Actual breaks in the windshield are relatively rare, the larger problem is the gradual sandblasting that every windshield gets over time. I think the film would protect against that happening.
Yeah, you may have a point there. I wouldn't expect it to last particularly long, but it might still be worth it to someone with a brand new, now seemingly gone, new BMW windshield.

But I don't think I'd do it much below the tint line and I suspect to do so would be illegal, although as long as it's in ok shape I wouldn't see it as ticket bait unless they were really looking for something to write, as has happened to me in the past. But I'm older now and they pick on kids, not old farts.

On the other hand, I've replaced half a dozen or so windshields over the decades due to being broken, most recently just yesterday on the E39. Not to mention an assortment of different sized bullseyes too.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I don't feel nearly as insanely OCD and anal retentive as some people are after reading all of this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

garageboy wrote: Aug 26, 2022 5:37 AM I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I don't feel nearly as insanely OCD and anal retentive as some people are after reading all of this.
Lot of that going around on the vintage whatever boards.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

garageboy wrote: Aug 26, 2022 5:37 AM I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I don't feel nearly as insanely OCD and anal retentive as some people are after reading all of this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's funny on one hand but damn my car has been a magnet for rock chips, even out of unsuspecting vehicles. When I got the car there were two little ones. Now let's just say it needs to be replaced before year's end and a crack is even starting.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

SeattleGuy wrote: Aug 30, 2022 11:52 AMThat's funny on one hand but damn my car has been a magnet for rock chips, even out of unsuspecting vehicles. When I got the car there were two little ones. Now let's just say it needs to be replaced before year's end and a crack is even starting.
When I was on my 2-month road trip in 2019, my ready-to-be-replaced windshield picked up a rock and cracked it. I went to a glass shop in Montana, and they sealed the crack. It stayed that way and did NOT get worse until I had the restoration shop in CT replace my windshield months later. I would look into that as a temporary stopgap.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

garageboy wrote: Aug 30, 2022 10:45 PM
SeattleGuy wrote: Aug 30, 2022 11:52 AMThat's funny on one hand but damn my car has been a magnet for rock chips, even out of unsuspecting vehicles. When I got the car there were two little ones. Now let's just say it needs to be replaced before year's end and a crack is even starting.
When I was on my 2-month road trip in 2019, my ready-to-be-replaced windshield picked up a rock and cracked it. I went to a glass shop in Montana, and they sealed the crack. It stayed that way and did NOT get worse until I had the restoration shop in CT replace my windshield months later. I would look into that as a temporary stopgap.
I was about to ask that. Looking into it pronto.