Run One Sport Seat and One Comfort Seat?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
jyl

Run One Sport Seat and One Comfort Seat?

Post by jyl »

I am seriously thinking about running the driver's side as a sport seat and the passenger side as a comfort seat. I'd have to get a sport seat recovered in Pacific Blue to match the car - I bought a pair last year, have them in storage.

Why? My wife rides in the passenger seat, she really likes the existing comfort seat and - historically at least - doesn't like narrow, heavily bolstered seats very much.

Anyone do this? Any photographic evidence of how goofy/not it looks?
stuartinmn

Re: Run One Sport Seat and One Comfort Seat?

Post by stuartinmn »

Not my preference, but I've seen it done before.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

jyl wrote: Jan 18, 2022 2:47 PM I am seriously thinking about running the driver's side as a sport seat and the passenger side as a comfort seat. I'd have to get a sport seat recovered in Pacific Blue to match the car - I bought a pair last year, have them in storage.

Why? My wife rides in the passenger seat, she really likes the existing comfort seat and - historically at least - doesn't like narrow, heavily bolstered seats very much.

Anyone do this? Any photographic evidence of how goofy/not it looks?
I have this same debate with my wife:
Her: "I like the seats you had in the old car ('88 US 535i with comforts)", she whines.
Me: :eye roll: "These are better, trust me (re '85 M535i with sports)".
Her: :grumble:

She is whining a different tune now that the seats have be redone and is even entertaining a road trip with them.

Hold out for the re-upholstered seats.

But, happy wife, happy life, right? ;)
jyl

Post by jyl »

Yeah, seems like I should reupholster both sport seats, install them, and see how much she complains. Maybe I can placate her with some sheepskins.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I did it with mine. Yeah, it's not quite right, but I'm not a purist. And the sport seats aren't really meant for women. No sexism, many/most women have much bigger hips than men and the sport seats are pretty narrow. And nobody said a word about it when I sold it. Now color should match, in my case it was black, so easy.
kr3678

Post by kr3678 »

Had a friend years ago run a 320i with a Blue Recaro driver's seat and the factory beige comfort passenger seat. To make things look less out of place, he covered both front seats with black, full-coverage sheepskins (including the headrests). It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it didn't look bad either.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I'm currently running this setup and I personally like it. I only drive hard alone Anyway, when i'm with a passenger it's just a cruise. Someone was selling a single sport seat so I decided to try it out. Been running it for a year. Looks good in black, One thing I like is that the comfort seat is a better platform for setting things down. Fast food cupholders, food, a bag, etc.
BenTomm17

Post by BenTomm17 »

I'm running a driver's side sport seat and a passenger comfort seat, both black leather so the visuals aren't bad.
But what I really like is the fact the comfort seat has a fold down armrest. So it is a little more comfy.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

BenTomm17 wrote: Jan 22, 2022 9:07 PM I'm running a driver's side sport seat and a passenger comfort seat, both black leather so the visuals aren't bad.
But what I really like is the fact the comfort seat has a fold down armrest. So it is a little more comfy.
The armrests (and the fact that my car came with comfort seats from the factory) are why I am keeping my car as it showed up in 1985. On long trips it really makes a difference. :)