AC Fan intermittent issue

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
Notaweekend

AC Fan intermittent issue

Post by Notaweekend »

A few weeks ago I was driving with the AC on at the highest speed. I drove for an hour to my destination, and halfway through driving back the fan just stopped spinning. A few days later it turned on again when I pressed the switch and turned the fan speed control up. That lasted until yesterday I got in my car and I had the ac on for 2 minutes then it just stopped spinning.

I read it could be the switch but I'm unsure if it would be the high pressure switch or the switch in the cabin that's a part of the climate controls. When I press the blue switch inside the cabin it lights up, and when i turn the fan speed control to 1 or 2 or 3 the light loses it's brightness.

Could it just be as simple as replacing that blue switch or what do you think?
Mike W.

Re: AC Fan intermittent issue

Post by Mike W. »

It's not the high pressure switch, the only thing that does is cut out the compressor, it does not affect the fan.

My first guess would be the fuse/fusebox. The old style bullet fuses were not the greatest design, especially at higher amperages. Make sure the fuse looks clean and not burned, is a ceramic type, plastic body and glass body both have issues, and that the fuse is tight in the fuseholder. You might have to bend the tabs a little bit.

It could be the switch, but I'd go for the fuse first.
Notaweekend

Re: AC Fan intermittent issue

Post by Notaweekend »

The first time it happened I checked the fuse it was ok. I replaced with a new one just to see if it made a difference and nothing. Was running the same fuse when the fan started to work again a few days later