E39s For Sale?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
WilNJ

E39s For Sale?

Post by WilNJ »

I’m headed into a situation I haven’t had in over 20 years, a commute of less than 10 miles one way (vs. 35-40) and I’m thinking this might be a good time to scratch my itch.

I’ve checked here, ebay, BAT and craigslist. Any other sources for good post face lift 530i manual?
gray635

Re: E39s For Sale?

Post by gray635 »

This looks like a pretty nice e39 for sale in Atlanta. Manual, too!: https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/4/mess ... 82?.src=fp

Off the "BMW Classics of Georgia" email list.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

It’s looking for a yahoo login. Am I doing something wrong?
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

I should add that i don’t have a garage and I’m looking for this as a daily including winter driving so the more rust susceptible cars like an E28 or 34 are out.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

E39s do still hide rust well, particularly in the rockers and they have a nasty tendency to rust where the quarter is attached to the fuel filler. Still, they’re about as new as I’d ever recommend someone get in a BMW and the M54B30 and 5 speed are the best drivetrain option I think. That’s what’s in my touring and I have to say I often prefer driving it to the M5, but it has also made the M5 feel more special which I think is important as well. Either way, I think you’re on the right track. Good luck with the search.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Facebook marketplace is a crapshoot, but you will occasionally find a well sorted car. Apps like OfferUp are also hit or miss, but I like to browse just in case.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

You will have to decide which variant of drive-train you want: V8 (540 & M5) or I6 (525, 528, 530). You will find far more standard transmissions available in the former than the latter. I agree wholehearted with Chris in the M54B30 in the Post Face Lift cars is probably the best of the bunch of 6 cylinder variants (I love mine even though it is an automatic). However finding them with 5-speeds is tougher to do (what Chris didn't mention that he did a drive-line swap since the US never got the E39 530i Touring, which was a crime IMHO). There is a list of known issues with the E39 in general and the M54 specifically but it's pretty manageable.

I would say that any car with the Sport Package is definitely worth seeking out rather than non-Sport ones; Premium Packages aren't a deal-breaker but you're not likely to find a Sport without also having the Premium Package. The only down-side on the Sport, especially at this age and mileage, is big ticket for a likely needed suspension overhaul.

Good luck!
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

i had a 2003 530i with sport package and manual transmission. not sure why i sold it. really a great car overall. would absolutely buy another.

best bet at finding a decent one, is to be vigilant at looking on craigslist.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

You usually find them for sale with high mileage and fairly beaten. I looked for years for the one I purchased exactly 5-years ago, and paid top-dollar for it. Recently a white/black 75k-miles 5-speed Sport/Premium with sport seats—but not heated seats—went for $16k on BAT.

Mine has just over 80k, as I recall before covering it in the garage. It is Jet Black/Black leather, Sport/Premium, 5-sp, DSP, Heated Sport Seats, PDK, trunk-mounted CD changer. I bought it to replace my '95 E34 525i 5-sp but I really miss the E34. I still have the E34, but it rusted in places I never expected, thinking BMW should have learned from the E28 body, but didn't. I want to restore it and it runs great. I even bought a parts car for the paint-matched doors and trunk lid. I even have a new set of Bilstein Sports to go with its lowered springs, to refresh the suspension.

I just never bonded with the E39 the way I did the E34 which I've driven more miles than any BMW I've ever owned in 50-years and now I have a recently purchased E82 128i M-sport 6-speed that makes me think I'm 20-years old again driving my 2002tii. I'm in love! I've actually toyed with selling both the E28 535i stick and the E39, and restoring the E34. Both have new Cont DWS tires and are ready to drive anywhere. It'll just take some coin to really get me to do it! :dunno:
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Sep 07, 2020 7:30 PM E82 128i M-sport 6-speed that makes me think I'm 20-years old again driving my 2002tii. I'm in love!
I'm toying with that idea too. Lot's of balls in the air. A company car may be an option. Since we have a new teen driver coming on line next year, that's the most attractive.

Also, my wife has decided she doesn't need a minivan anymore, what she would like to replace it with is outside my comfort zone. If we switched up, I get the 3 row SUV as a company car and she gets a smaller version of the lux-SUV that she wants, that would check more boxes than me getting my sports sedan.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

I have exactly what you're looking for. E39 530i. 2001. 5-speed manual. Original excellent paint on every panel (some port-of-entry work done I defy you to find with the naked eye). Navigation. Fold-down seats. Sport package.

Unfortunately, it's not for sale. I just hit 190k miles. I used to bitch about the E39 because of known sub-100k-mile issues due to cost-cutting under-engineering (final stage resistor, entire coolant system at least once, lotsa plastic crap underneath), but life between 100k and 200k, with all new oxygen sensors, position sensors, and spark plugs, and only super unleaded gas and BMW blue coolant, it's been completely reliable and a solid performer. The car was worth replacing the original clutch at 170k because that represents only half of this car's life.

With Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s all around, I'm constantly accused of driving-while-smiling.

I would never consider another E39 without fold-down seats. But I'm in NYC, and I use Hakkapeliittas in winter, and hauling around wheels and tires and anything, for that matter, is impossible without fold-down seats.

I think, like E28s, we're starting to find the best E39s are part of estate sales. If you have one, and it's a good one, you're keeping it forever. Just like me. :lol:
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

garageboy wrote: Sep 11, 2020 4:25 AMI would never consider another E39 without fold-down seats. But I'm in NYC, and I use Hakkapeliittas in winter, and hauling around wheels and tires and anything, for that matter, is impossible without fold-down seats.
Good luck with that requirement. It certainly shrinks the universe of candidates! :laugh:

Heck, recently I carried four 18-inch wheels with tires in my E28. Had to use a bit of the back-seat, but still . . .
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Did someone say e39 :?
No intention of letting any of mine go either.
Had 528i that loved,well balanced sold at 225k running like a top. Purchased 80k
Now two 540 one Sterling AT for wifey and topaz 6spd for me and the anthracite :haul: Beast under the car cover.
Took some time but was willing to wait n found everything I was looking for except Imola M5 that was worthy.
Scoured everything regularly . They r out there but have to be patient n stick to your criteria +/-
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

88m6 wrote: Sep 14, 2020 10:31 PM Did someone say e39 :?
No intention of letting any of mine go either.
Any? I'm sorry, but I'm sure there's a law somewhere that you can't have more than two. PM me with your address so I can come and take it off your hands before I report you to the authorities. I'll take the topaz one so you don't get in trouble with the wife.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I currently run PS4s with a 2000 sport. Black and Tan, just like my womensss(. I love it and it loves me!
I beat it like it owes me money and I (think) it actually does at this point. The cigarette lighter works and the cupholders are cheap enuff that I can slam my PBR around after a hard day of bullriding and not worry about breaking them because they are just going to break anyway. Lost 30lbs seeing as I can't hit the drive-thru anymore. Never sure if window will go back up, and paying through the sunroof is embarrassing. Two Thumbs up