Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
5E3L3I

FS: 1983 533i

Post by 5E3L3I »

$6,700 or best offer
248,000 miles
5 speed manual
Phoenix, Arizona

I had the car listed here originally in Sept 2021.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156974&p=1504280&h ... t#p1504280

This listing is updated for work done since then.

Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AUfDMer75H9pDVYR7

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the car’s history prior to me buying it in July 2020. I was thinking it would be fun project to keep me busy during the pandemic. But my work never really slowed down and as I tried to work on the car I realized I was in over my head.

Based on the Carfax report (available upon request) I don’t have any reason not to believe what I was told by the guy I bought it from. His story was he bought the car from it’s original owner around 2016. So that would make this a 3 owner car. The Carfax does not go far back enough to confirm that. But based on the Carfax it does appear very likely the car was in the Sacramento, California area since at least 1992. And having spent the last 3 years with me in Arizona it has spent it’s entire documented life in dry climates. Appropriately it doesn’t have any worrying rust. I am not going to claim it is rust free because I have not inspected every nook and cranny but I have not noticed any rust that would concern me as to the solidity of the body or chassis. There are lots of rock chips where there might be some surface rust so take a good look at the pictures. At one time I thought the paint was original but it looks almost too good so it probably did get a respray of the original burgenrot at some point. I was also told the engine was replaced with a model correct replacement about 60,000 miles ago. I don’t have any further information as to when or who did the work. A/C converted from R12 before my ownership. A/C blows cold but as a mid 80’s German car I don’t know if it was ever going to be a match for 120 degrees in Arizona. It is comfortable here up to about 110 degrees and then it has a hard time keeping up if left in the sun. But the same was true for 2 early 2000’s Audis I had here. Arizona is brutal.

Work done under my ownership. Not by me (see above about being in over my head)

July 2020
Water pump replaced
Fan clutch replaced
Compression test performed. Results in order of cylinder 1-6 150,135,139,153,151,150
Installed 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires

March 2022
Replaced front brake pads, brake pad sensor, and brake rotors
Replaced front upper strut mounts
Installed new transmission mounts
Changed transmission fluid
Installed new Magnaflow muffler (this was mostly because prior muffler was aggressively loud, this one gives a more pleasing exhaust note)
Installed Mishimoto aluminum radiator, ported water pump coolant passage for better coolant flow, replace engine thermostat, installed 82 degree C temperature switch on radiator to allow fan to run sooner. (This was all to address the concerns the engine was running too hot I mentioned in my previous post. It made a huge difference. I would hazard to guess it cools better than new.)

Probably not covering everything list of known issues (not including cosmetic issues). I will add more as I remember or as they are pointed out to me during this process.

The passenger front window does not roll down.

Automatic lock actuators not working. Carfax showed they were replaced in 2017 before my ownership. And they worked until January of this year.

Radio antennae does not extend and retract on its own. Probably an easy fix as it can be motivated into position by jiggling the connection in the trunk.

I will go out of my way to be completely transparent about the car. If someone local and established on this forum wants to come check it out to offer a independent 3rd party opinion to other users I would welcome and appreciate that feedback. I can also do video calls and provide additional pictures to address questions or concerns.

Thanks for looking!
5E3L3I

Re: FS: 1983 533i

Post by 5E3L3I »

A couple of updates for this listing.

The lock actuators started working again yesterday. Probably only a matter of time before they stop again, but for today they work.

Based on feedback from a couple of gentlemen who have looked at and driven the car in person I am dropping the asking price to $5500 OBO. Thanks!