SOLD 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
druckpress

SOLD 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Post by druckpress »

I bought this e28 approximately 15 months ago as I’ve always wanted an e28 and I wanted a ripper that I felt comfortable daily driving, and that wouldn’t be the case for me with an M5. Not to mention the cost difference. I just lost my garage due to a move and I’ve had to make some tough calls. I’m selling this car and a ’72 Bavaria project I’ve had for ages.

I washed the car in the driveway before I took the photos. It’s not professionally detailed beforehand and it is an honest car.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1oo3b876 ... 88uoi4xgcj

BUILD DETAILS
Full e36 M3 motor, trans, LSD 3.23:1 - sourced from 1995 car with 125k - head was removed, cleaned, and decked at install
Valeo single mass flywheel and clutch kit
BC Racing coilovers w/ camber plates ($1200 for the kit)
Brand new Mishimoto radiator
Full service with receipts as soon as I bought it (Meccanica in LA)
Stainless headers
Short shifter
Battery relocated to trunk
Fully refinished 17” 2 piece Style 5 BBS wheels
Brand new Michelin pilot sport all season 225/45ZR-17
Repaint (not perfect but really good) - Lachssilber Metallic -Receipt for $7700
Brand new mid-shade tint
Cocomats
M-Technic steering wheel
New leather shift knob to match steering wheel
Euro headlight assembly
Comfort seats that I sourced when I got it. I think I actually like these more than sport seats
$2,000 stereo with amp, separates, and sub (slaps!)
Full 533i exhaust from the headers back
Prior owner only put 4k miles on it

CURRENT NEW PARTS TO INSTALL
3.5" MAF + bigger injectors + Walbro fuel pump + silicon elbows + CATuned custom chip for the above set up ($800+). All sourced from Igor at CATuned.
Pebra rear spoiler
My mechanic is holding onto a clean dash for me. Can be added onto the sale for probably $400. Need to ask my mechanic what he wants for it. I’m so used to the dash cover at this point that it doesn’t bother me. I kinda dig it actually.

I tried to photo any things that need improving and might be distractions. These include:

Trim on the front bumper is wavy
Door trim is dinged up in a couple places
The trim on the front and rear glass is a little tired. It doesn’t leak and there is no wind whistle or anything like that, it just doesn’t look great
The windshield has a crack. Since almost every insurance company has windshield repair as part of comprehensive coverage, not having this fixed is reflective of how much it didn’t bother me. But that’s good news for whomever buys this since that’s likely a free upgrade right there.
Split seam on the drivers seat
Some bubbling on the sunroof. But again, not something that was a big priority for me.

All the plumbing is there to add A/C. It just needs a compressor and I would probably do the evaporator at the same time.
The windows and sunroof open and close quickly, as they should.
The driver’s side lock cylinder is fussy for some reason so when I’m out and about and I lock it, I just use the trunk lock.
I have the ashtray door for the rear passenger left side, but it was in a box in my garage when I took these photos yesterday.

Car is located in Los Angeles. Registered in Florida. I have not tried to smog it in CA, but my guess is that it would pass due to the fact that the motor has not been modded and it has an exhaust with a cat. By no means is that a guarantee, but if a serious buyer wants me to take it and find out I’m happy to do so.

$16k obo

If someone can tell me how to attach a photo that would be great
Last edited by druckpress on May 22, 2023 4:39 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Galahad

Re: 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Post by Galahad »

Click on the photo in dropbox, right click, copy image address, paste into img tag. Might be slightly different on windows than Mac.
Nice looking car!

Mike W.

Re: 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Post by Mike W. »

Looks like a lot of car, might even be a really nice one. 240HP in an E28, ought to be an eye opener.

But
I have not tried to smog it in CA, but my guess is that it would pass
is shallow at best. Yes, if everything is right and it has been to the referee and has a BAR sticker, does have, but not lit, a CEL light on, yes, it should pass. If it has not and it does not have a BAR sticker, it will not pass. Under any conditions. It could be an air cleaner and it won't pass. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Yes there are nod nod, wink wink, smog techs, I wish I knew more, but if they even have a clue what it is they won't go near it with the proverbial 10 foot pole. Nor for the sake of their licenses and job should they.

There's more I could pick on but I did want to say the preceding just in case of a naive buyer.
druckpress

Re: SOLD 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Post by druckpress »

Sold to forum member. Thanks mye28!
calspyderman

Re: SOLD 1988 e28 with e36 M3 drivetrain + tons more

Post by calspyderman »

Congrats! Beautiful car - you built the car I wanted to. The only thing that stopped me was the prospect of running the gauntlet with the California BAR to get it registered in California. Can you advise... did it sell to a California buyer who intends to title and register it in-state?