FS:Two 1985-86 535i manual "twins" not operational

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
taylormicro

FS:Two 1985-86 535i manual "twins" not operational

Post by taylormicro »

**** Both sold. Thanks everyone for your interest

I have owned two 535i cars (one 1985 and the other 1986), both of them for the last 25 years and enjoyed them. But, I think that at least 1 of them is "end of life". Neither has been wrecked. Both located in downtown Chicago and both are not drivable at this time. I have driven most of the miles of these cars below and have both titles. I just don't have the time or energy to continue to work on them. I will describe what is not working properly. Everything else is pretty much working the way it should.

Car 1:
1985 535i, manual trans, light grey. Frame is completely rusted and has detached from the car in the back. When this car is driving, because the frame is off, it makes a very loud metal banging sound and soon the car will be a "Fred Flinstone" like vehicle. Unsafe, so I am not driving it now. The battery is also not holding a charge, so after a few days of sitting, the car needs to be recharged to get started. The engine is also burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Approx 180,000 miles total. I'm the 2nd owner.

Car 2:
1986 535i, manual trans, light blue. Issue number 1, is that the brakes do not work. When pressing the petal almost to the floor, you barely have any braking action. Not safe. The 2nd issue with this vehicle is that the trans, 3rd gear is grinding. I tried to have it rebuilt, but that lasted only about 8,000 miles. Although rusty, not as bad as car number 1. Approx 280,000 miles. Engine is not burning any oil. I'm the 2nd owner.

I have both titles. My suggestion is that both cars could be good parts cars as there is a lot of good parts on both. Interiors are in good shape. Parts, such as trans from car number 1 and brake parts from car number 1 could be moved to car number 2, and can make car number 2 into a good daily driver car . But, there is a bunch of labor and time here to do this. At this point, both would have to be towed to move.

I don't really have a "target" or am out to gather a high price for these. I'm realistic about the cost/time to get them working, if at all. I'd like to see both go to a good home that would have a plan to salvage the parts and/or make at least 1 of them roadworthy again. Email me with questions.

Charles Taylor
cet@taylormicro.com
312-371-7253 cell
Last edited by taylormicro on Nov 30, 2023 6:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Re: FS:Two 1985-86 535i manual "twins" not operational

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Sounds like both would be great parts cars as you stated. If not sold by early summer, I may ping you.