N/A thread for October-November

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
gray635

N/A thread for October-November

Post by gray635 »

Just spotted this ad on the Roundel classifieds. Virtually no details but may be a decent car for sale by a long-term owner: https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/282361
Ibmotoren

Re: N/A thread for October-November

Post by Ibmotoren »

Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »

1987 m535 Seems legit, but I’m certainly no expert on them.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/cto/d/c ... 20812.html

Grande Royal

Post by Grande Royal »

Strange, no fender tag on inside passenger inner front fender. M535 on the rear lid, no! Nice car though.
travisj

Post by travisj »

Slicktop!
And it has that odd black rubber strip on the rear bumper like my M535i from Japan.
Looks legit to me, and in nice shape!
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Assuming "WL" on driver's door is the flood water-line?
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Nov 08, 2022 12:07 PM
That was the conclusion from another conversation as well.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

that would be correct. probably a hurricane victim
kyldare

Post by kyldare »

1st 5er wrote: Nov 08, 2022 3:31 PM
Which thread was that? I can't find another one on the car. I'm kiiiiinda curious about this one. If the water line was indeed only that high, seems very salvageable, though not without a fair amount of work involved. Thinking about putting in a bid.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

kyldare wrote: Nov 09, 2022 2:49 PM
1st 5er wrote: Nov 08, 2022 3:31 PM
Which thread was that? I can't find another one on the car. I'm kiiiiinda curious about this one. If the water line was indeed only that high, seems very salvageable, though not without a fair amount of work involved. Thinking about putting in a bid.

A private Signal group.
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru

Post by Justin_FL »

kyldare wrote: Nov 09, 2022 2:49 PM If the water line was indeed only that high, seems very salvageable, though not without a fair amount of work involved. Thinking about putting in a bid.
You should also consider whether it was a freshwater or saltwater flood and how long the vehicle was left flooded before getting dried out. The lower wiring harnesses are already now suspect but if it was salt water flood (high chance from Ian in Punta Gorda), replacing the lower wiring is probably not optional for long term reliability. Not an impossible task especially if you have a donor E28 to transfer a known good harness and can replace/fab some of the M5 specific sections (like the battery cable) which aren't easy to find used.

I assume it was an enthusiast owner, and if the water was at that level, it seems repairable or at least I'd make an effort on my own personal classic vehicles before writing it off? But if they aren't DIY wrenchers or the insurance required all repairs at a shop, you know parts aren't really available so maybe that's the reason. Curious what people feel it is worth. Given the potential for electrical issues, any interior water damage, unknown mechanical condition prior to flooding, and the branded flood/salvage title (can't easily hide by repairing in another state with the digital trail like years ago), $15K seems kind of like all the money to me!

It is tempting to at least go take a look at the car, as I'm about an hour away from the storage site. Too many other E28s to want to take this one on though :rofl:
kyldare

Post by kyldare »

Justin_FL wrote: Nov 10, 2022 7:30 AM
kyldare wrote: Nov 09, 2022 2:49 PM If the water line was indeed only that high, seems very salvageable, though not without a fair amount of work involved. Thinking about putting in a bid.
You should also consider whether it was a freshwater or saltwater flood and how long the vehicle was left flooded before getting dried out. The lower wiring harnesses are already now suspect but if it was salt water flood (high chance from Ian in Punta Gorda), replacing the lower wiring is probably not optional for long term reliability. Not an impossible task especially if you have a donor E28 to transfer a known good harness and can replace/fab some of the M5 specific sections (like the battery cable) which aren't easy to find used.

I assume it was an enthusiast owner, and if the water was at that level, it seems repairable or at least I'd make an effort on my own personal classic vehicles before writing it off? But if they aren't DIY wrenchers or the insurance required all repairs at a shop, you know parts aren't really available so maybe that's the reason. Curious what people feel it is worth. Given the potential for electrical issues, any interior water damage, unknown mechanical condition prior to flooding, and the branded flood/salvage title (can't easily hide by repairing in another state with the digital trail like years ago), $15K seems kind of like all the money to me!

It is tempting to at least go take a look at the car, as I'm about an hour away from the storage site. Too many other E28s to want to take this one on though :rofl:
Had to be salt water from Ian, right? It's definitely worrying, but I'd jump at any chance to get into an M5, even knowing the wiring hell that might be coming (my time is free, I happen to like well-loved M cars, and I'm a glutton for punishment). Seems like an enthusiast owner must have had this, given the general condition, CCA badge on the front grille, stock-looking suspension and OEM wheels, so it does make me wonder why they weren't willing to keep the car or try to revive it?

Maybe it's well and truly buggered, but if the water line was only that high, seems the engine/trans should be fine. If the seals were intact, the interior might be okay too. Seems very likely that salt water got into the pan though.

If you feel like going to check it out, I'm sure somebody on the board would appreciate it, even if you don't have the time/energy/space for it. Hell, I'd cover gas money and a nice dinner if it was easy enough for you to get out there and look at it. Might save me $15k (or more) in the end :rofl:
Etip

Post by Etip »

Definitely enthusiast owned. Has the correct cooling system T that all have Jerry rigged. Has the distributor cover that a lot are missing also.
Car looks like it was a really nice example before the saltwater bath. Shame....
Will be interesting to see where this ends.
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru

Post by Justin_FL »

kyldare wrote: Nov 10, 2022 2:49 PMHad to be salt water from Ian, right? It's definitely worrying, but I'd jump at any chance to get into an M5, even knowing the wiring hell that might be coming (my time is free, I happen to like well-loved M cars, and I'm a glutton for punishment). Seems like an enthusiast owner must have had this, given the general condition, CCA badge on the front grille, stock-looking suspension and OEM wheels, so it does make me wonder why they weren't willing to keep the car or try to revive it?

Maybe it's well and truly buggered, but if the water line was only that high, seems the engine/trans should be fine. If the seals were intact, the interior might be okay too. Seems very likely that salt water got into the pan though.

If you feel like going to check it out, I'm sure somebody on the board would appreciate it, even if you don't have the time/energy/space for it. Hell, I'd cover gas money and a nice dinner if it was easy enough for you to get out there and look at it. Might save me $15k (or more) in the end :rofl:
Salt water is an issue on coastal or intracoastal properties generally and those neighborhoods however far the storm surge goes inland. Without knowing where the car was during the flooding, salt water isn't a certainty, but yeah, who knows! Hurricanes drop a huge amount of rain and plenty of neighborhoods become flooded that way too.

An individual that will own the car longer term and wants to save it is probably a best case scenario, but you should see what is required to have the title "rebuilt" in your state in case it is a real hassle. Because the car doesn't "look" damaged, I'd hate for a dealer/rebuilder to get the car for a quick flip and assuming it runs fine, get the title "rebuilt", put it through a quick detail and just move it along rather than taking the time and labor to carefully go through it and replace the harness, clean interior completely and treat for mold, corrosion, etc. Just a normal E28 that lived for years a humid environment can have electrical gremlins as-is with wiring and grounds, so adding a potential salt water soak into the mix is not great.

Seems like a casual inspection isn't easy as you have to be a registered dealer/broker or Co-part member to preview auctions.

For the archives, VIN of this flood damaged 1988 BMW M5: WBSDC9301J2875062
kyldare

Post by kyldare »

Holy cow. Looks like it sold for $26k. Let's hope that engine didn't ingest any salt water :|
VZehn

Post by VZehn »

Justin_FL wrote: Nov 11, 2022 10:22 AM
kyldare wrote: Nov 10, 2022 2:49 PMHad to be salt water from Ian, right? It's definitely worrying, but I'd jump at any chance to get into an M5, even knowing the wiring hell that might be coming (my time is free, I happen to like well-loved M cars, and I'm a glutton for punishment). Seems like an enthusiast owner must have had this, given the general condition, CCA badge on the front grille, stock-looking suspension and OEM wheels, so it does make me wonder why they weren't willing to keep the car or try to revive it?

Salt water is an issue on coastal or intracoastal properties generally and those neighborhoods however far the storm surge goes inland. Without knowing where the car was during the flooding, salt water isn't a certainty, but yeah, who knows! Hurricanes drop a huge amount of rain and plenty of neighborhoods become flooded that way too.

An individual that will own the car longer term and wants to save it is probably a best case scenario, but you should see what is required to have the title "rebuilt" in your state in case it is a real hassle. Because the car doesn't "look" damaged, I'd hate for a dealer/rebuilder to get the car for a quick flip and assuming it runs fine, get the title "rebuilt", put it through a quick detail and just move it along rather than taking the time and labor to carefully go through it and replace the harness, clean interior completely and treat for mold, corrosion, etc. Just a normal E28 that lived for years a humid environment can have electrical gremlins as-is with wiring and grounds, so adding a potential salt water soak into the mix is not great.

Seems like a casual inspection isn't easy as you have to be a registered dealer/broker or Co-part member to preview auctions.

For the archives, VIN of this flood damaged 1988 BMW M5: WBSDC9301J2875062
I know the fellow in Naples who owned this car - original owner! Definitely got caught in the surge as he lived a few blocks inland from the Gulf shore. He's devastated ... he loved this car. Still had SLS working. Very original example. Seeing and driving his M5 inspired me to finally go buy mine. (My M5 survived in Naples with no water damage). Sad to lose such a good example.
Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »