1988 535is in Atlanta

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
shujert

1988 535is in Atlanta

Post by shujert »

Hi, good people! I'm helping a good friend of mine sell this car. Here are the details in his words:

---

• Factory iS car with 5-speed manual
• Custom two tone black/red leather
• 16" BMW Style 5 wheels with professionally painted centers and polished lip
• H&R Race springs with Bilstein Sport shocks
• Catalytic converter delete
• E32 front calipers and rotors

I've owned this car since 2011 and have kept it running ever since as a sort of father/son project car. It was my daily driver for a few years.

Many things have been slowly replaced and refurbished over the years, it's hard to even recall all of it. Body is straight and smooth with very minor imperfections here and there. Overall the paint condition is great. It's already in nice condition for its age and mileage, but it's still very much a project car.

Most recent service:
• Drive shaft professionally rebuilt and replaced
• Replaced all 6 spark plugs, distributor cap, and ignition rotor
• New air intake boot (post MAF sensor)

True mileage is unknown but above 350,000. When I first bought the car the odometer was damaged, so it was repaired and the mileage set to 0, which is why the dash shows 48k. The motor was rebuilt at the time of purchase, so the odo is also a reflection of the mileage on the rebuilt motor.

The car has rust spots in various places on the body from being in N Carolina for much of its life. Notable spots include right rear fender, left windshield trim, and trunk lip.

Other issues:
• Brake service
• Control arms or tie rods may need replacing. A popping noise is present when turning the steering wheel to the left.
• A/C works decently well, but could use a recharge
• Rear windows are inop
• Car has a bit of a rough idle. Could be CSB, motor mounts, or transmission mounts?

The car otherwise runs very well and is an absolute pleasure to drive. The M30 pulls hard, transmission shifts smoothly, and the suspension feels nice and tight aside from the aforementioned popping noise. I'm sad to see it go, but I no longer have a place to store and maintain the car, and would love to see it go to a good home.

Asking $8500.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/I3xbfQ4

---

SeattleGuy

Re: 1988 535is in Atlanta

Post by SeattleGuy »

I have the exact same ride but a baby at 200K LOL
but it's still very much a project car.
....I think you're harshing on yourself. It's fine. Just like mine, sure kinda project but quite presentable and I DD mine it's the only car I have at the moment.
[SORRY I see you're not the owner -- well the owner is selling his car a bit short]

Can you PM me the deets on your engine rebuild and cost? I'm in no hurry but in a few years it's something I would want to do as the car is never for sale.

Good Luck Sir, I had a super eta swap E30 with a straight pipe 12 years ago when I lived in Dunwoody; the neighbors must have loved me. :laugh:
UltFamCar

Post by UltFamCar »

Hi shujert,

Please contact me if it is still available. Anyone know if this will pass smog in California?

Thanks,
Charles
(408) 406-8395
jc72

Post by jc72 »

UltFamCar wrote: Oct 11, 2022 5:41 PM Hi shujert,

Please contact me if it is still available. Anyone know if this will pass smog in California?

Thanks,
Charles
(408) 406-8395
Definitely not with the “Catalytic converter delete” but might if you reinstall a CARB compliant one.
shujert

Post by shujert »

SeattleGuy wrote: Oct 08, 2022 3:41 PM I have the exact same ride but a baby at 200K LOL
but it's still very much a project car.
....I think you're harshing on yourself. It's fine. Just like mine, sure kinda project but quite presentable and I DD mine it's the only car I have at the moment.
[SORRY I see you're not the owner -- well the owner is selling his car a bit short]

Can you PM me the deets on your engine rebuild and cost? I'm in no hurry but in a few years it's something I would want to do as the car is never for sale.

Good Luck Sir, I had a super eta swap E30 with a straight pipe 12 years ago when I lived in Dunwoody; the neighbors must have loved me. :laugh:
Thank you! I'll reach out to the owner to see if they have any details on the motor work, but I suspect not. It was done over a decade ago, and they weren't diligent about record keeping.
shujert

Post by shujert »

UltFamCar wrote: Oct 11, 2022 5:41 PM Hi shujert,

Thanks,
Charles
(408) 406-8395
Agreed with jc72, this won't pass smog without a catalytic converter. I shot you a PM anyway.