24 Hours of Lemons '88 535i

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
proto17

24 Hours of Lemons '88 535i

Post by proto17 »

I am trying to find a new home for my 1988 535i that I've raced in the 24 Hours of Lemons since ~ 2017. It's had a rough life, and most recently had a wall jump out in front of it at Road Atlanta in December. This accident pushed the driver's side front frame rail in hard enough that I had to cut the nose off of the car to graft a new front end on (from the front of the wheel wells forward). While lining up the new front end, I realized that the frame rail had been bent at or just rearward of the wheel well which is something I don't have the gear to pull. So, I had a line on an e46 and will be replacing the 535 with the e46. Below is a link to pictures and a video of the car in its current state. The accident in December did a number on the rear end too. The driver's rear quarter got smacked hard enough to rip out one of the trailing arm mounts from the subframe. Thankfully I had an M5 subframe and replaced the broken one.

The accident in December would have been the third time I had to bend the front rails back into shape with a tree and a comealong. At this point the rails were probably going to snap the next time something happened, so I felt the safest route was to just replace the entire front end. Hopefully I didn't goober up the new front end too much trying to get things lined up. I am NOT experienced with bodywork, and it looks like an angry beaver went to town on the rails.

Anywho, the car is free to a good home as it will require a lot of work to get back together. It's completely race prepped for the 24 Hours of Lemons and Champ Car. I'll probably be taking the fire bottle (leaving the piping) and racing seat as those things are stupid expensive. I just ask that the car not go immediately to a junkyard. I'd much rather see it be used to fix another car, or race again than have it rot in a junkyard for $300.

I also have a mountain of spare parts I've collected over the years (not an exhaustive list) that I want to sell as a group:
- Transmissions x 4 (including an M5 transmission)
- Engine (no idea if it's any good)
- Enough suspension parts to essentially rebuild the whole thing
- All new brake calipers
- ~ 8 rims with tires
- Lots of smaller parts

I'm aiming for ~ $2,000 for the whole lot of spare parts. That price is somewhat negotiable.

I'm located near Baltimore Washington International (BWI) airport in Maryland. I do not want to deal with the hassle of shipping anything. I'm strapped for time, and kinda lazy. I can be available for viewings during the week between 4 and 8 PM EST, and most any time on the weekends.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... NbaGdVAmg5

-Dave
TamperedWith

Re: 24 Hours of Lemons '88 535i

Post by TamperedWith »

Pm incoming
TamperedWith

Re: 24 Hours of Lemons '88 535i

Post by TamperedWith »

No reply so far :(