1982 BMW 528e manual FS. $6k. Portland, OR *SOLD*

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
sixseries

1982 BMW 528e manual FS. $6k. Portland, OR *SOLD*

Post by sixseries »

Hi everyone.

Sad to say but I'm selling my 528e that I've had for a couple years. Clean title and passed smog in OR. I bought this from another enthusiast who frequented this forum. I have a kid now and I barely have enough time to clean up my house, let alone spend time on this car. It is a neat e28. It has the solid getrag 265/6 (3 piece) that shifts great. See Mike W's sticky on the Tech Talk forum for more info on that specific transmission. The odometer has over 275k on it, but the PO told me that is not the original one, but the actual miles are in that ballpark. It looks solid and has a cool color combo, but obviously paint is not showroom quality, but it ain't bad. Very cool, uncommon color combo as well. The PO also did the e2i swap and rebuilt the head about 40kish miles ago, which I will provide more details below. Also, the A/C works! The car does not leak fluids. There is no rust. The car is currently garaged. When I did the stereo, I took out the entire carpet and cleaned it. Lastly, I have a bunch of extra parts/items from the PO that the buyer must take. Interior is in surprisingly great shape.

The not so great: At some point there was some front end damage (you can't really tell anymore) where the front support was replaced. They locks do not work. I installed a keyless entry system, which worked fine for a bit, and then the locks slowly deteriorated. Again, I do not believe this fix would be that complicated, but see reason for selling above on why this issue still remains. Finally, the car does not idle well. I really don't know why, but it is not a smooth idle and seems to cause some acceleration issues when cold, but a fix has been elusive. I did use this car as my DD for awhile, until the baby forced us to get another car (Nissan Leaf) that has the basic safety features for a baby. As a side note, I would highly recommend the Leaf. I love it and basically 'fill up' my car for a total of $5 at home. Also a cracked dash (obviously).

I have a few pics below, but I think those are from the original seller. The only thing that has changed is the stereo. I have an album with more recent pics that I have linked. Also, happy to take pics on request.

upgrades:
-euro style headlights/high beams (both headlights and high beams can be on at the same time)
-all new sound system. New Infinity speakers, Sony MEX-XB120BT stereo (high powered stereo with a built in mini amp that powers the 4 speakers), and powered sub (Focal ibus 20). Sub was professionally installed. All in all, its not too much but adds some nice depth to the bass and it does not take up any trunk space as it is located underneath driver side rear seat.
-Saab glass moonroof.
-sport style steering wheel
-e2i swap with redone head (about 40-50k miles ago). This was done along with the other engine upgrades below.
-motronic 1.3
-new 272 Billet 272 campshaft
-IE HD rocker arms
-head gasket (40k? miles ago)
-3.46 LS diff
-upgraded brakes (e32 MC, e32 front brakes and e34 rear brakes
-upgraded 16in style 5 wheels. Has a full size spare in trunk. Tires are in great shape.
-pedal bracket reinforcement installed (the one commonly seen on this forum).
-electric fan that replaced clutch operated fan. Has manual override on dash that was 3D printed.
-tach and speedo were swapped out for a higher redline tach and later speedo
-TRE fuel pump upgrade
-M50 green top injectors
-heated mirrors
-buzzer if headlights are left on and door opens
-deleted buzzer for door open, keys on
-reman/upgraded driveshaft

key recent maintenance last few years/10k miles:
- throttle body rebuilt
- timing belt and valve adjustment
- CV axle boots
- TPS
- new radiator (5 years/30k miles ago)
- Clutch replaced (2016) along with slave clyinder

I'm missing some stuff but will gladly share you my google sheet that has a much more detailed accounting of mostly all the upgrades/maintenance in the past 10 years (I recreated this from receipts I received from the PO, and some of his memory).

https://imgur.com/gallery/JCnVXqD

Last edited by sixseries on Jul 15, 2022 4:37 PM, edited 4 times in total.
muleskinner

Re: 1982 BMW 528e manual FS. $6k. Portland, OR

Post by muleskinner »

You don't see that color combo very often. Great lookikng car. Hope someone here grabs it and takes it to the next level.
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Nice ride. I am on the market right now for a nimble DD.

I wish you were closer to TX.
tim8oland

Post by tim8oland »

Congrats on your baby!
-OP, what size tire are you running 225/50/16??
Best of luck w/ your sale
This E28's a beauty! It should get picked up fast.
Stickshift4lyfe

Post by Stickshift4lyfe »

Op - thank you for the post, although I must say I found the references to the new baby to be superfluous and seeking to engender sympathy, rather than relevant to the business matter at hand. As a father of triplets, I recall restoring two Mercedes (190 SL and 300 Adenauer) before the kids 6 month birthday while balancing fatherhood. It’s clearly not an either or here.

Anyway, just one clarification from my end. Is the listed price of $6k intended to represent what you were hoping to get? Or what you’d pay me to take that piece of crap off your hands?
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

i think this dude ^^ is a friend of mine trolling me lol.

Anyway, I just sold it. For those interested in the market for these cars, the sales price was $5,900. I imagine I will purchase a e24 or e28 later on in life, but will miss driving it.
Stickshift4lyfe

Re: 1982 BMW 528e manual FS. $6k. Portland, OR *SOLD*

Post by Stickshift4lyfe »

Friend? I literally know nothing about you except that your taste in cars is borderline felonious.

P.S. enjoy that 7 second 0-60 in your Nissan Leaf lol
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Lol
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Where's Kyle with one of his witty one liners???
Spen

Post by Spen »

That color combo, spectacular. Figure it was quite a good deal all in all these days.