FS: E28 M5 NA-spec [SOLD]

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
gcracker

FS: E28 M5 NA-spec [SOLD]

Post by gcracker »

I bought this car in '03 or '04. I have lots of great stories with it, but the best part (for the buyer) is that I put less than 5k/mi on it in almost twenty years. I love this car. When my car-loving teen son asks me what car I would buy if I had all the money in the world, I always reply that I already own my dream car. So why am I selling it? I'm planning to move to Central America, and I just don't have the same interests anymore. I don't need a garage queen. I want to see the world, and I don't feel like storing this anymore.

It sits at 193,4xx miles right now. I'm in Maine, and it has some rust on the rockers, and a little spot under the windshield bed. The rust was quoted at $2,500 to fix a few years back. It's never been out in the weather since I bought it. Always garaged, no UV or even bright light. No evidence of rodents. I've always kept mothballs close to it (but not inside, to preserve the original leather smell). All electrics still work, including heated seats, and HVAC flap motors. A/C will need service as I evacuated it and always planned to delete it. Before I tore it down, I did a smoke test, and found the only vacuum leak was the interior air temp sensor and one of the throttle O-rings (replaced now).

I pulled the motor at the end of the '04 season and found the crank nut missing, and the loose dampener had damaged the crank nose a bit. The vibration had transmitted through to the output flange and caused some galling there as well. It has a new dampener now. My machine shop tigged up the crank and reground it. I purchased 10.25:1 forged Wiseco pistons and rebalanced the crank to the new running gear. I replaced all the usual things when you do a tear-down, like bearings, timing, seals, oil pump/chain, etc. Reground valve seats, new guides, seals (obv) and a new cam tray since the original one had spun a cam bearing from a clump of crud blocking an oil passage. Injectors were serviced by Rich at Cruzin' Performance, and I have an extra since he found one out of spec (+/- 3%) and sold me one that matched more closely. New clutch and assembly. New motor mounts. Block was painted after machine work. Valve cover was powder coated with black wrinkle and machined for the OEM look.

I took my sweet time rebuilding it, as I had three children, four houses, and divorce over the course of my life to distract me.

All the parts were sourced from Steve Haygood when he was still working with forum members.

It isn't starting/running great right now, and I haven't been in a place where I can get with it and see why. It isn't timing, as I had the motor on a stand for years all timed up, and I used to lube it and turn it over by hand just to watch it work. I thought it was ECU, but I sent it to a forum member and it ran their M5 no problem. It could be a ground, or a piece of something in the exhaust from a critter, though I doubt that. I'm not asking normal price for this car, as a result of this.

It also has a Miller MAF/W.A.R. kit, but I always wanted to do break-in first, so I've never tried it, nor have I ever used the included 1-hour of tech time to tune the fuel maps.

Extra parts or cool things:
Spare SLS system pump/reservoir and actuator arm/potentiometer (I think bought from Philo) about ten years ago.
Unpainted, still bubble-wrapped BBS side skirts
Throttle linkage rebuild parts, still in bags from BavAuto or FCP
Has a factory-fitted radar detector with front/rear sensors

I know I'm forgetting some of what I've done and parts I have with the car, but everything related to it goes to the buyer.

Here's a link to my craigslist ad: https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/lewi ... 13608.html Contact me through there, since I won't likely see DMs here very often.

Asking $28,000 firm. I know I'm not trying very hard on this ad, and I apologize. If I don't sell it, oh well. I'll likely get it running this summer and sell it at auction.
Last edited by gcracker on Jun 15, 2023 1:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.
ahab

Re: FS: E28 M5 NA-spec

Post by ahab »

Sorry to see you're selling it. Seems there are a couple people on the forum that claim to be looking, yours is a great example since it's been cared for over the last 2/3s of its life, and is a steal at that price given the condition of the engine. I will attest to the ECU working, as I'm the forum member referenced and it ran mine just fine. GLWS.
gcracker

Post by gcracker »

Thanks for your kind words. I am somewhat surprised that the only inquiries I've received in two weeks haven't been serious, but my ad is a little deprecating, I suppose.
Last edited by gcracker on May 13, 2022 4:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.
ThisOldJeep

Post by ThisOldJeep »

Nothing wrong with the ad, my fellow e28er. I'd be all over this if not for 1) the 535is sitting in the garage already, and 2) the pickup truck and horse trailer that sits up at the barn. Sounds like an amazing opportunity for someone with time, some curiosity and some resources. GLWS, but I'm sure you'll find a nice caretaker for this M5.
somethin2do

Post by somethin2do »

Sent you an email
Slantnose

Post by Slantnose »

ahab wrote: May 10, 2022 3:11 PM Sorry to see you're selling it. Seems there are a couple people on the forum that claim to be looking, yours is a great example since it's been cared for over the last 2/3s of its life, and is a steal at that price given the condition of the engine. I will attest to the ECU working, as I'm the forum member referenced and it ran mine just fine. GLWS.
Hey Ahab,

I joined the forum to try to find an E28 M5 project. This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for; if you could PM me, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get in contact with gcracker. Thank you!]

Slantnose
canezino

Post by canezino »

This was a year ago sir
Slantnose

Post by Slantnose »

canezino wrote: Mar 04, 2023 3:37 AM This was a year ago sir
I'm well aware, and got in touch with him.
canezino

Post by canezino »

did you end up buying it ?