FS - 1986 BMW e28 535i project car

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
tsobrado1

FS - 1986 BMW e28 535i project car

Post by tsobrado1 »

I have a 1986 BMW e28 535i project car up for sale.

I have had it stored outside for the last three months. I am selling for $600. It is non-operable.

It is Bronzit with a beige interior. It is also a California car that has never been wrecked. In fact, I believe it still has the original paint. The body of the vehicle is rust free, with the exception of the battery tray, which is pictured below.

I bought this car as a project car in about 2013 in Sacramento, California after a one-year search. It ran when I bought it needing only a muffler and a new windshield at the time. It was and still is in very original condition.

It currently has a 5-speed transmission, but I believe this is a conversion because the VIN plate lists the vehicle as a 535iA. I can’t access the VIN on the block as it is behind the starter. The previous owner had mentioned that it was the original engine that came with the car. I tend to believe him as it looks very original.

When I bought the car, it did not even have a ding on the body. It was and still is very straight. Since going into storage, it has a slight ding on right front fender by the front headlight. I also put a small dent in the left front fender that can be addressed with PDR. I believe that the rear panel has also been slightly damaged in storage because it appears to be slightly misaligned and I am not able to unlatch the trunk. I have drilled out the lock and still can’t unlatch it. At the same time, I don’t want to do any more damage to the body.

Within a year of when I bought the car, I started taking it apart in my garage, time permitting. As a result, the engine is ready to come out of the car and the driveline is already out. The bumpers and original front grille have also been removed. Everything else is still on the car.

I am in Central California midway between Southern and Northern. California. I am selling the car because we are leaving California and are voluntarily downsizing

https://youtu.be/kVNN7jVp25g
Last edited by tsobrado1 on Aug 31, 2022 9:51 PM, edited 4 times in total.
2dye4

Re: FS - 1986 BMW e28 535i project car

Post by 2dye4 »

Nice project indeed.

If you decide to sell those sport seats separately, Ill be first in line to take them. Please let me know, as I am restoring a 535is, white/llama, and, Im in desperate need of those seats.
Thanks.
GLWTS!
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

It's early, so I could be proved wrong, but parting out might get you the most value, especially with the added body damage under your ownership.

GLWS
Last edited by 1st 5er on Feb 06, 2022 1:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Did I miss something?
* Why is the engine ready to come out? And why the spare engine?
* What is the odometer mileage?
* What is the VIN? That would explain what transmission it was born with.

Good luck with your sale
tsobrado1

Post by tsobrado1 »

Guys,

Thank you for your feedback.

To answer your questions, the mileage is 231,000.

I started taking the car apart in anticipation of doing an M30B35 swap quickly. In retrospect, it was stupid.

The VIN is WBADC7408G0654702

I have decided to get the car running with the existing engine, doing a very mild restoration in the process and then sell it. As a result, I will be selling off all of the parts I have accumulated over the years separately.

Thanks again for your feedback guys.

Todd
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

tsobrado1 wrote: Feb 06, 2022 4:17 PMThe VIN is WBADC7408G0654702
Your VIN shows it was built as a manual. The VIN plate is the same for all cars and probably says something like "535i/A"
tsobrado1

Post by tsobrado1 »

Thank you for the information BMWCCA2. You are correct, it does read "535i/A".
Electricjd

Post by Electricjd »

Hi,

Your update seems like you might be selling parts separately. I'm in Walnut creek and can pick up. PM sent on seats
tsobrado1

Post by tsobrado1 »

Responded.
Placide35is

Post by Placide35is »

Good Afternoon,
New to the forums but I've been looking for an e28 project car for years now but just recently got serious with accumulating my budget. I was very excited when reading your initial post because i had found exactly what i had been looking for. After reading through the comments I see you have changed your mind about your offer to sell the Vehicle and parts and have chose to get it running with the original engine before selling. I was curios if it's either too late to discuss the initial offer or if possible to discuss purchasing with the original engine. Please let me know. I would love to make this my project to get ready for a California Summer :cool:

Best,
Placide