FS: 1987 535isa in New York

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
Notaweekend

FS: 1987 535isa in New York

Post by Notaweekend »

1987 535is A/T
WBADC8405H1721760
86/10 Build Date 214k miles

Extra parts included: extra door handles, extra inner door pulls and surroundings, new Elring cylinder head gasket kit, IWIS timing chain, bmw OE oil pain gasket, brand new front apron (body part) from bmw genuine, new front and rear brake pads, among other small things

Note worthy changes:
M Tech-II steering wheel
M5 MAP light
Euro headlights assembly,
DINAN Chip,
paint change from Diamant Schwartz to Zinnober Rot

4th owner. Registered to me in WA state. Clean title. Located in Brooklyn, NY.
This E28 has been driven daily for 4 years. Comes with service records, windshield sunshade, and 3 keys.
Cassette player cleaner, original books, and used Bentley manual as well.

Asking $13,325.00 with oil leak fixed
Asking $10,000.00 as is

I know we have all heard the “I’m reluctant to sell” story before but I really didn’t think I’d ever be ok with selling this car. I figured I’d use it as a lawn ornament if I had to if it meant having it 20 years from now. I just think it’s a good time to call this journey complete

I’ve owned this car since 2018. I’m the fourth owner. It was originally sold in New Jersey to a woman who carried it for 9-10 years. After which was the second owner, who seemed to also daily drive the car like the original owner. The third owner picked up this vehicle in 2003. I have a picture of the car when he first bought it. From 2017 until I took ownership I had been looking very hard for the e28 of my dreams. I wanted something well put together at a price worth the value of the car vs it’s condition and it wasn’t happening. My last hope was posting a WTB ad on Craigslist and that’s when I met Bob. I acquired the vehicle at 167k miles with service records and some original literature.

The following is what I have done since then. Tires, breaks, spark plugs, etc have been changed a few times so I won’t mention those. If brand for a part is blank/marked with (?) then it just means I need to pull the receipts to confirm which brand it is later

Baseline / tune up

New Temp sensors, vacuum hoses, cap & rotor, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, valve adjustment, oil change, power steering fluid change, vacuum hoses, brake fluid. Maybe I’m forgetting something.

At the same time the blower motor stopped working so I replaced with used. Years later I got my hands on a new motor and nicer cages so I swapped that in

Then right after that initial service the heater hose failed so I replaced with oem right away. I realized all of the coolant hoses were old so I replaced with
Ireland engineering silicone hose kit

The suspension felt tired so I went with a
Meyle front suspension kit

When I got the car it had 14” tires and the original bottle cap wheels.

I first changed to 16” style 5 wheels with all season tires

Then I grew up and bought a nice set of used Style 9 wheels & 4 new caps; to which I paired them with Continental summers tires.

The car currently has blizzak winter tires on which were a waste to me because they have around 300 miles on them or less.

Although the car is originally from New Jersey; it made its way to Oregon state after the first owner & spent half of its life there with the second and third owner. I was living in Seattle, WA when I took a train down to pick it up. It was daily driven in WA state until 2020. For the first year it was parked in a garage and second year it was parked in a driveway.

I drove this awesome E28 across the country- and when I was anticipating my first winter in New York I bought Blizzak winter tires and put them on. A week later I bought a 330xi for winter and didn’t use those winter tires.

Let me sum up the rest of the work that’s been done overall during my ownership

(Summary of parts mentioned above: Ireland Engineering silicone hose kit, Meyle front suspension control arm kit, style 9 wheels with new wheel caps)

New Battery
M tech II steering wheel
M3 MAP light rear view mirror
DINAN chip
Used euro head light assembly
New floor mats (OE)
New trunk mat (E28Goodies)
LED trunk light bulb (you can see stuff)
Brake switch (OE)
License plate light asmb. L/R (OE)
Wiper blades (OE)-(has the cool wind deflector thing on the drivers side)
Trunk gasket (OE)
4 Door weatherstrips (OE)
4 Vapor barriers (OE)
Front window guides L&R (OE)
Transmission cooler lines (OE)
Rear bushings (OEM)
‘Duck’ gasket (OEM)
Alternator belt (OEM)
Fan belt (OEM)
Remanufactured Alternator
Remanufactured A/T transmission with Kevlar clutch packs
Rear main seal (OEM)
New engine mounts (OE)
Brake master cylinder (OEM)
2 Tail light gaskets (OE)
Mirror switch (OE)
Master Key (OE)
Fan clutch and fan (OEM)
The original weld for the steering box mount cracked so I had it re-welded

Originally diamantschwartz 181, repainted exterior, doors, trunk, and hood zinnoberrot 138. Painted chrome to Shadowline.

Power head rests don’t move: motor works & needs the cable adjustment fix

The front apron was once damaged during my ownership. What I’m calling the front apron is the sheet metal piece that is in between the hood and the bumper. I purchased a used front apron and had a body shop weld in the new piece. This was the same time the car was finally painted.

There is some orange peel that could use wet sanding on the hood. Paint peeling around license plate. Overall the car looks good but isn’t perfect.

There were only 2 or 3 new front apron’s available in the country from BMW Genuine parts so I bought one and I’m including it in the sale. Although it looks great as it is- I bought this so that I can feel like I’m still able to make it into a perfect garage queen if I would want to.

The dash is cracked and the car came with a dash mat that I’ve used since purchasing.

The rear speaker parcel was blue when I got it so I painted it back to an anthracite color.

The AC works. It does not have any rust. Factory LSD. Electric mirrors and powered seats function properly. Aftermarket exhaust. Aftermarket radio.

It’s really fun to drive. I love it.

I found oil on the ground recently. because of all the work I’ve done to it and because I’ve had it inspected by 3 different techs at BMW of Manhattan I don’t believe it’s the RMS because I had it replaced in 2020. I was told it could be coming from the upper timing cover. I wasn’t planning on selling at the time so I thought well this would be a great time to do a complete reseal and then I’ll have a car with a remanufactered transmission, resealed engine, new paint, recent suspension, etc. so I bought everything. From the gaskets and chain to new washers, studs, bolts, everything. All included and I bought them from BMW. I was quoted $1,100 twice for the labor. Once from the BMW dealer I worked at, and the other at BimmerClinic in New Jersey. At the time the dealer was too busy to do the work and then I got offered a job somewhere else that I could not refuse. BimmerClinic said they would do it but they weren’t good at keeping in touch, didn’t answer the phone and didn’t schedule me for a date. I finally received an email back saying that they’re short staffed now and they aren’t accepting anything older than MY2000. So that kind of sucks because I wanted to present this to you guys in the best way possible.

Let me know any questions you have and if I wasn’t clear enough in any of my explanations. It’ll give you my number so you can call or text me
Last edited by Notaweekend on Mar 04, 2022 5:36 PM, edited 13 times in total.
Notaweekend

Re: FS: 1987 535isA in New York

Post by Notaweekend »

Not sure if this will work but bump?
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Bump worked but I'd think larger pictures and at least one of the interior might help justify your tall price, especially here among the most knowledgeable E28 customers you'll find anywhere.

GLWTS
Bdegray

Post by Bdegray »

is this car still available? any more photos of the car?
Notaweekend

Re: FS: 1987 535isa in New York

Post by Notaweekend »

Hey it’s still available. I added some pictures I took today.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Does it live near where the pictures were taken? (I know exactly where that is).

Pretty sure I saw this car one day near the Spuyten Duyvil train station, up in the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx. (the Zinno, the wheels and the shadowlining isn't a common combination in an already not that common car). It really cut a fine figure. GLWS!
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

Yes you’re right on both locations. I used to live over there. Parking was much nicer. Thanks for the nice comment! I love the combination. The real e28 M5 wheels would look great too
Yobro19

Post by Yobro19 »

Interested… tried sending you a PM but it wouldn’t allow me to :( if you could send me a PM so we can get in touch please. I do appreciate your time!
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

I’m having trouble messaging you as well. Feel free to call or text 206 889 3101
chrism

Post by chrism »

PM'ed