three5ives

The Bronzit - Again

Post by three5ives »

gray635

Re: The Bronzit - Again

Post by gray635 »

Clint:

Wow! The Bronzit Car surfaces again!!

I would have bought this car in a minute back in May. Wound up with my euroized M5 instead. It is a great car but has required some fairly considerable "investment" to get it to a point that I'm starting to get satisfied with. And the work on it continues..... Alan and Michael at GCR are certainly happy about that. :laugh:

I always thought this was the prettiest e28 car I'd ever seen. It's be in my garage now if it had been listed 6 months earlier. :x I am, however, very surprised at the need for an engine rebuild by the current owner. to the tune of $10k Wonder what the story is on that? :?

Hope you are doing well and see you soon.

Regards,
Mike
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

gray635 wrote: Oct 29, 2021 11:50 PM I am, however, very surprised at the need for an engine rebuild by the current owner. to the tune of $10k Wonder what the story is on that? :?
I saw that and thought the same thing. Overheat it and maybe a new head, but a complete engine rebuild? Ran it out of oil?
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

In the extensive write up it says " something got into the engine". necessitating the engine rebuild. I just spent way too much time looking at those undercarriage pics. I'm scared to go look at my own car now :laugh:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Mike W. wrote: Oct 31, 2021 12:55 AM
gray635 wrote: Oct 29, 2021 11:50 PM I am, however, very surprised at the need for an engine rebuild by the current owner. to the tune of $10k Wonder what the story is on that? :?
I saw that and thought the same thing. Overheat it and maybe a new head, but a complete engine rebuild? Ran it out of oil?
After Clint sold the car, the only people that actually put any real mileage on it were EAG. They drove the car down to The Vintage in 2019 along with two Sport Evos. That trip had to put about 1k miles on it between driving to the foundation, Hot Springs and back to Cincinnati. Then, not too long after that sold it at the Amelia Island Gooding auction. The real crime I see in all of this was that the virtually new stock exhaust was replaced with that Magnaflow cat-back abortion they sell. There may be a like new stock 535i cat-back exhaust at some shop in MO. I don't think we will ever really know what happened to the motor, as everything put forth as to the cause is purely supposition/speculation. My money is on "the magnaflow did it."
Spen

Post by Spen »

Not that it is germane precisely to the Bronzit car but I needed an exhaust for a somewhat beater 535is back in 2013 and I put on a truly like new factory unit and after the car was sold (too much work at the time to make it a beautiful car but it was nice basically!), it was crashed into a taxi, by a drunk friend of the new owner, and it was probably scrapped, but not before debt collectors called me and harangued me for the damage which a bill of sale proved it was not mine anymore even after submitting the report of sale. I miss that exhaust to this day as they're about 1500 clams or more from Germany. Yowza.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

wkohler wrote: Nov 04, 2021 2:16 AM
My money is on "the magnaflow did it."
"something got into the engine" my ass.

My money is someone done rode it hard and put it up wet. Sadly, after it left ATL, it's been passed around a like a cheap slut.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Looks like it's sold. Hope the new owner will chime in here.
GaAlpinaOwner

Post by GaAlpinaOwner »

This reminds me of my 88 31k mile Henna E30 M3 detonating after I resold it back to EAG. In my case EAG had zero to do with the motor exploding..the new owner had the unfortunate act happen to him after buying the car from EAG. EAG made it right by rebuilding the motor on their dime. The point of this is that even low mileage cars that sit for long periods of time can detonate. My guess is this is what happened to this car. At least the motor can be replaced rebuilt etc...maybe the car price will reset accordingly as well.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

EAG had this car too and drove it to the Vintage (seems like more than a 176 mile trip to me). Clint drove the car and everything was pretty decent on it. I don’t think lack of use is what caused an issue with the motor. Cars that sit totally dormant for decades are regularly brought to life and an 8:1 M30 is pretty underdressed. Given the car ended up with a nasty Magnaflow catback on it, time spent at a Porsche dealer to diagnose things, I have a feeling there is more to the story than has been told or imagined.

At this point though it doesn’t matter since the car has a fresh motor and still brought over $50k so hopefully it has found another good home.