Any serious interest in my B35 swapped E28 535is?

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
DFWTX85

Any serious interest in my B35 swapped E28 535is?

Post by DFWTX85 »

Seeing what interest exists first - will work on fresh pictures when time allows.

Hey guys. Looking to maybe sell my E28 (87 535is, fully US spec) that is not perfect but I've been trying to make it perfect. It's had an M30B35 swap done, along with new aftermarket exhaust after the cat (think its Masterflow), E39 style 5 17-inch BBS wheels in very nice original condition (tires are in OK condition, plenty of meat but aging), all the manual transmission linkage stuff has been replaced so it feels tight (along with the dreaded rear shaft seal). Clutch feels solid and was replaced prior to me owning it. Royal blue on Llama, which I know is a rare combo. Paint was resprayed at some point in the past and looks pretty good - gets a lot of compliments. AC doesn't work but even on hot days I don't feel uncomfortable while driving it. Everything else does seem to work; windows, wipers, sunroof, heater, etc. The car runs and drives great and the extra power and improved driveability of the B35 is a welcome upgrade. No issues with city driving or getting on the open highway and getting up to speeds. I changed the coolant overflow tank since the old one looked pretty sketchy (but was working fine) - seems like an easy way to make the engine and everything else look fresh. Newer AGM battery from 2019 IIRC.

Not expecting BaT valuations but also not really sure given the motor swap. If it doesn't sell then I'll put it in storage with the intent to Euro convert and maybe an S54 swap or something more interesting (M60, S52, who knows). This is a situation where its "nice to sell" not "have to sell."

Car was originally an automatic but was converted to manual a while ago (2005 or 2006). I have a shop paper that shows the swap was done, but outside of date, the shop name and a price, that's about it. I can only assume the transmission is either a G260 or a ZF 5-speed from an E36 that doesn't grind or pop. Odometer shows 260k miles (who's counting at this point anyway), which might be correct but I have no real way of knowing. The original B34 definitely seemed like it had that many miles on it but it started to run poorly and overheat on occasion, hence the B35 swap. The B35 is very healthy but TMU and was completely resealed (besides head gasket) with new water pump and thermostat. I'll change the oil before it sells, if not sooner.

Car has some repairable rust and cosmetic issues but its all correctable, we all know it can be fixed (driver's front fender needs to be replaced, some minor rust here and there but engine bay and spare tire well are pretty clear from what I can see). Passenger fender is a little buckled as PO drove the car in to something and pushed the front valance in a bit. Its noticeable but not to the point the parts are sticking out or falling off. "iS" front spoiler is not broken but has scuffs/scratches. I was quoted $2500 to fix the fenders, pull the brackets and metal behind the spoiler and paint to match. Could probably use a suspension refresh which I was planning on doing with the addition of H&R springs. ABS light is on but I haven't checked in to it or slammed on the brakes hard enough to see if ABS is working. Radio and OBC are not working due to a blown relay (same one the horn uses) and the oil light is persistently on due to the mismatch between the B34 and B35 sensor.

Rust concerns: there is definitely some exterior rust on the rear panel around the license plate area and around the drip tray/channels in the trunk area. Repairable to those who can do it and on my list of things to do if I keep the car.

Front seats have been recovered at some point in the past and they do get a lot of attention from people who look inside the car. Its definitely either factory leather or near-equivalent. Some driver's bolster wear but nothing serious. Carpet is very presentable but the lighter color shows dirt and stains. Door cards/panels are complete and not falling apart.

Long and short is that this is a daily-ready, turnkey 535is manual that's had the B35 swap done that is overall solid but not perfect cosmetically. Could use some TLC for small and minor things, which have been on my list for a while. I don't have to sell it but I'm getting another E28 535is that needs all new paint and interior so I can do it the way I want - possibly Tanzanite Blue (instead of destroy the nice condition respray on my car). Not listing it for sale locally (at this time) due to the peanut gallery clowns and "I got cash today" offers, even though it might sell quicker and for more money since these cars are fairly rare in TX.

Would like to get $9000 for it. Fly in and drive it home or I can work with your car transporter arrangements.
leadphut

Re: Any serious interest in my B35 swapped E28 535is?

Post by leadphut »

:pics!:
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

I'll have to side with @leadphut here. This post (photos or not) opens up to waaaay more questions than it answers.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Had to read almost to the very end, twice, just to get an idea of where this is located.

Consider your intended audience when you compose an ad and give us as much info as you can. The word perfect gets tossed around a lot but needs a fender?? Mileage? Color? Interior color?

Help us help you!
DFWTX85

Post by DFWTX85 »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 10, 2021 9:47 AM Had to read almost to the very end, twice, just to get an idea of where this is located.

Consider your intended audience when you compose an ad and give us as much info as you can. The word perfect gets tossed around a lot but needs a fender?? Mileage? Color? Interior color?

Help us help you!
I never stated that the car is perfect nor am I presenting it that way. I am being detailed because I think people, generally, are more interested in a detailed and clear perspective. I'm just not sure who has legitimate interest in a B35 swapped car as it seems, to me, that few people care about that. Hence why I put that emphasis in the post title.
BoogerEater

Post by BoogerEater »

leadphut wrote: Oct 09, 2021 6:08 PM:pics!:
👆 want to get interest and people excited we will need to see pictures please…
motoverda

Post by motoverda »

How about some pictures of car and condition? Are you serious about selling?