FS: Mint 1985 535i Manual

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
Neptunetraveler

FS: Mint 1985 535i Manual

Post by Neptunetraveler »

Hello all,

I am considering selling a 535i I purchased on Bring A Trailer earlier this year. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-bmw-535i-20/

I have put around 1,000 miles on the car, to 127,300, and done one major repair (brake booster replacement, $2,000) and one minor repair (clutch pedal spring, $250) during my ownership of this awesome car.

You can see all of the details in the original BAT listing. Previous owner was absolutely meticulous in restoring this car after it had been parked for two decades. He left no stone unturned. I’ve been lucky to get to drive this gem for six months, but I’m buying a new house and could use the cash for repairs/furniture/etc. Car comes with every maintenance record dating back to 1985, including the original invoice for the car’s purchase new - crazy cool to see!

Car is located in Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC area. Prior to my ownership, a Texas car its entire life. I am the third owner, though Carfax will show four owners as the PO had a friend purchase the car for him as an intermediary.

I am looking to get out of it what I paid + a little bonus for my repairs and asking for $19,500 OBO.

Will post new photos later this week, but car has basically sat in my garage with minimal use for ~6 months and is no different from the photos in the BAT listing.

Please PM with any questions or thoughts. Great chance to own a little piece of history - just want it to go to someone who will really use it. Between my DD, my motorcycles, and a hectic life, I haven’t dedicated the time this car deserves to it!

Thanks!
BMWCCA2

Re: FS: Mint 1985 535i Manual

Post by BMWCCA2 »

In reading through the BaT comments and description, I never found any reference as to why the mileage is listed as TMU. Did I miss something? Great looking car.
Neptunetraveler

Good question. TMU due to the fact that, when the car was parked for two decades, the infamous speedometer problem occurred. The PO did light driving of the car before fixing the speedo, but explained to me it was in the hundreds of miles. The last maintenance record I have from 1997, before the car was parked, shows 117K miles.

I think BAT is very strict about mileage so if the speedo was broken for even a little while, they mark it as TMU.

Let me know if that doesn’t fully address your question.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Neptunetraveler wrote: Oct 05, 2021 10:09 AMLet me know if that doesn’t fully address your question.
What does your title say about the mileage?
Neptunetraveler

BMWCCA2 wrote: Oct 05, 2021 7:38 PM
Neptunetraveler wrote: Oct 05, 2021 10:09 AMLet me know if that doesn’t fully address your question.
What does your title say about the mileage?
It’s Exempt on my NC title.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Based on the way it was presented in the listing and what I saw, I think this car was the best of the 3 black cars that BaT had listed at the same time (I used to own one of them and the other one was a Euro with a dirty motor). It's the best color combo of the 3 even if it might have been the most pedestrian offering. It was easily in the best condition (not even counting the repaint). I think it would have sold for even more had the other two not been listed at the same time. Does that mean I think it's actually worth more? No, but who knows what anything is actually worth in this completely ridiculous market.

Sorry you're selling and good luck with the sale. I think the overall condition tells the story of a car with mileage that's probably pretty close to what the odo says. BaT learned a while back that TMU is the safest way to go, particularly since there have been so many cars listed there with known odometer issues. It's possible that had nothing been said about the cluster, that never would have been included. I don't think you'd see that having a real effect on value unless we were talking about a car in the sub 80k mile range.
Neptunetraveler

wkohler wrote: Oct 05, 2021 11:07 PM Based on the way it was presented in the listing and what I saw, I think this car was the best of the 3 black cars that BaT had listed at the same time (I used to own one of them and the other one was a Euro with a dirty motor). It's the best color combo of the 3 even if it might have been the most pedestrian offering. It was easily in the best condition (not even counting the repaint). I think it would have sold for even more had the other two not been listed at the same time. Does that mean I think it's actually worth more? No, but who knows what anything is actually worth in this completely ridiculous market.

Sorry you're selling and good luck with the sale. I think the overall condition tells the story of a car with mileage that's probably pretty close to what the odo says. BaT learned a while back that TMU is the safest way to go, particularly since there have been so many cars listed there with known odometer issues. It's possible that had nothing been said about the cluster, that never would have been included. I don't think you'd see that having a real effect on value unless we were talking about a car in the sub 80k mile range.
Thank you for the kind words! She is indeed an absolute gem :)
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Lovely car; black over red E28s look so stately. Years ago I was looking for one in this same color combo and ended up with the opposite: a red (Zinno) over black (also very nice).

GLWS, hope it goes to a good home. I do think it's at least a $20K car.
Neptunetraveler

LarryM wrote: Oct 07, 2021 3:44 AM Lovely car; black over red E28s look so stately. Years ago I was looking for one in this same color combo and ended up with the opposite: a red (Zinno) over black (also very nice).

Thank you much. Man, all this praise has me wanting to keep it. I DID say I was only considering selling in my original listing…. :rofl:
alps

Post by alps »

[/quote]
Thank you much. Man, all this praise has me wanting to keep it. I DID say I was only considering selling in my original listing…. :rofl:
[/quote]

Keep it!! I can't imagine you'd regret it :p
Neptunetraveler

alps wrote: Oct 11, 2021 1:24 PM GLWS, hope it goes to a good home. I do think it's at least a $20K car.
[/quote]

Keep it!! I can't imagine you'd regret it :p
[/quote]
I hear you. But it’s a shame to have and not have the chance to use often. In 6 months, only 900 miles :(. Just need another 4 hours in my day for fun hobbies :)
Neptunetraveler

Folks, I think I am getting ready to list the car on BAT in the next few weeks. When that happens, this listing will need to be removed.

In discussion with a few folks thru MyE28, but bringing this up again in case others missed it.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Good luck with your auction. Make hay while the sun shines. :beer:
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

It's getting rather late in the driving/selling season in many parts of the country, and I've heard that BaT's lead time is currently 3-4 weeks. If they won't let you set a reserve that you're happy with, I'd suggest you enjoy it for awhile and put it up for auction next spring. By that time maybe you'll decide it's a keeper.
Neptunetraveler

LarryM wrote: Oct 14, 2021 10:41 PM It's getting rather late in the driving/selling season in many parts of the country, and I've heard that BaT's lead time is currently 3-4 weeks. If they won't let you set a reserve that you're happy with, I'd suggest you enjoy it for awhile and put it up for auction next spring. By that time maybe you'll decide it's a keeper.
It’s always driving season down south but I hear ya
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

I would relist on BaT as you'll likely get the best response there. I'm reminded of when I sold my E39 M5 on BaT in 2018, and a year later the buyer was transferred to the bay area and lost his 3rd garage spot, so he tried listing the car for sale for what he had paid (~$36k) and got no response (this is when the "KBB" for such an immaculate garage queen car with 66k miles was 1/2 what it was worth). Back to BaT it went, and it sold for more than it did the first time.
Spen

Post by Spen »

I have to admit I find it funny when the politically correct way of saying "you'll get the most money on BAT" is termed the "best response".

It is a LOL moment for me.

For a seller I think top dollar matters, sure "I want it to go to a good home" and all that business probably doesn't matter to a lot of sellers (that's a guess).

I fully agree BAT or Doug DeMuros Cars & Bids (now free?!) will get you the most mon... Err the best response.

A friend of mind sold his bronco there and got I'd say easily 35% more than his "take it off my hands" price to local friends and etc. That was 2019. Surely it's up more in dollar terms now!
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Very lovely car and I plan to be in Raleigh soon but too high priced for me I think to use regularly. With European bumpers and style 29's like mine it would be close to my ideal e28 I think. But every time I see one like this I'm glad to know fine examples are still to be had even if the price keeps creeping up and away.

And no offense but 'Mint' implies just that and any repaint or restoration no longer qualifies as mint. I know many restored cars actually have paint that looks much better than mint and also more durable so I'm being picky about word choice. Oh and dows the dd side trim need to be corrected to match? GLWS for sure.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I agree this car would look perfect on 16" Style 29s. I think I'd also consider sourcing an "iS"/M5 style air dam, and maybe lowering it slightly. And an MTech steering wheel....

I think every time another nice E28 comes up for sale, a lot of us start dreaming "How about just one more...". And then reality strikes. You can only collect so many cars with the intention of using them as DD's, and they end up as quasi-garage queens.

This car is just too nice for a daily, and for me it's an impossibility anyway at least until I get more garage space.
Neptunetraveler

tn535i wrote: Oct 24, 2021 5:06 PM Very lovely car and I plan to be in Raleigh soon but too high priced for me I think to use regularly. With European bumpers and style 29's like mine it would be close to my ideal e28 I think. But every time I see one like this I'm glad to know fine examples are still to be had even if the price keeps creeping up and away.

And no offense but 'Mint' implies just that and any repaint or restoration no longer qualifies as mint. I know many restored cars actually have paint that looks much better than mint and also more durable so I'm being picky about word choice. Oh and dows the dd side trim need to be corrected to match? GLWS for sure.
It’s a fair criticism! The DD side trim looks off in that one picture (not sure if lighting or what) but in real life it all matches. Very odd photo I suppose.

The car will likely remain with me until the spring, at which point it’ll be listed on BAT to get top dollar. I don’t mind driving it this winter as weather in NC should be very nice :)
Neptunetraveler

That said, still will entertain attractive offers from myE28 until it lists on BAT
Neptunetraveler

Bump 8)
Neptunetraveler

Bump, I am considering one final sale attempt on mye28 before I list on BAT. Car will be listed on BAT in April if a buyer is not found on mye28.
MRKITE

Post by MRKITE »

Hello Neptunetraveler. PM will be sent. Thank you.
Dougmart

Post by Dougmart »

Hello

I'm in the Raleigh area and interested. Please send me a message so we can get in touch. douglasAmartinez@yahoo.com

Thanks