FS: My 2002 e39 530iA Sport package

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
muleskinner

FS: My 2002 e39 530iA Sport package

Post by muleskinner »

Well friends, I'm getting older, and will be spending a lot more time in Spain, so it's time to begin to thin the herd. Yes, my e28 will be up for sale in a few months, along with my Z3 coupe, but I'll start with my e39. I thought I'd list it here first, but if no interest here, will see if BaT will auction it. Based on recent comps on BaT as well as on CL, I think $10K is a reasonable asking price.

I bought this two years ago. My son has been driving it, but he got a big new job, so now he's getting himself a late model X3.

Black sapphire metallic on black leather. Paint in very good shape. Zero rust. LIved in Dallas and Florida before moving to ATL. 172,000 miles Carfax shows it to be a one owner car/No accidents before it was traded to the dealer in FL. The original owner always had it serviced at the BMW dealer, long after the warranty expired.

Other than a seeping power steering rack (not enough to drip onto the floor), this is a no excuses car. I'd drive it across country.

Here's some details:

--Brand new Bilsteins all around (less than 2K miles ago). Since this is a major job on an e39, a lot of related bushings and components were replaced in the process.
--Cat back exhaust with resonator delete and Magnaflow muffler
--Kenwood Bluetooth compatible head unit, Pioneer 4 channel amp + sub channel, Alpine component speakers
--New brake rotors x4 and ceramic pads
--Windows tinted by the same vendor which does my BMW dealer's tinting

Everything works on the car. Interior is in great shape. AC is nice and cold. Heated front seats. Never smoked in. Conti All season tires with approx 70% remaining treadwear.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

Last edited by muleskinner on Sep 25, 2021 7:25 AM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Re: FS: My 2002 e39 530iA M Sport

Post by wkohler »

Sport package, not M Sport. Here in the US, that was limited to the 2003 540i M-Sport, which is a shame since the 3.0 M54 is the motor to have in an E39, I think. Europe seemed to get a bunch of those even in touring guise. BMWNA knows what's best for us apparently.

Good luck with the sale, 530i is a great car. Curious how it sounds without the resonator.
Spen

Re: FS: My 2002 e39 530iA M Sport

Post by Spen »

The E39 is a fantastic bodystyle and era of BMW.

2003 540i M-Sport is a beautiful vehicle I might add. Looks like an M5 with a single outlet muffler that I believe has a bigger tube/tip. I have actually done the timing chain on the V8 powered cars several dozen times and I will say this about them both.

The 3.0 engine is peppy and reliable, Issues:
* Filter housing gasket leaks (easy)
* valve cover gasket leaks (easy)
* pcv system is maintenence say 5 years 100k miles and I suggest oem or if possible high quality. Had 1 bad experience w Vaico, once. (easy) note: suggest doing hard cooling pipes under intake same time if at all questionable. URO makes a metal pipe, I like it. I don't know if both pipes are offered in metal or just the lower pipe.
* If head gasket becomes an issue, head can be cracked or if overheated it can severely damage the engine. Seems often due to lack of maintenance and pushing the car when leaking coolant badly.
* if head is removed head bolts can strip block threads and seems most often people replace with a good used engine. I have no experience doing heads on these engines.
* normal e39 stuff (abs module, airbag modules depending on year, window regulators, vapor barrier leaks, rear doors mostly it seems, floors get wet; saggy headliner and pillars, shot cluster (high variant cluster) and "mid" display/head unit, cooling system maintenance is important when components are 15 to 20 years old and those original hoses and parts can break or show heavy browning on fittings which I perceive as time to change it Pronto!)

V8 engine issues
* Chain Guides!!! A proper chain guide job should take care of all basically all the copious oil leaks too. Suggest rebuild vanos same time. Suggest German Auto Solutions chain timing kit and instructions. Note their instructions don't discuss the oil separator bottle being a must change item on the E38 and E39 V8 models while that same bottle is located outside the crank case on the X5 V8 model. Engines can be swapped between all chassis' but need to modify oil bottle location. Requires chain guides to retrofit or remove the internal crank case oil separator bottle.
* PS pump usually drips a bit.
* 6 speed apparently has no used parts available but is very durable, 2nd gear seems a bit tough to shift to on certain possibly well beaten vehicles when cold, suggest fluid change. FEBI 40580 seems fine to me.
* auto trans has a lifespan sometimes pretty good say 200k plus miles (suggest and is probably worth rebuilding or buying cheap used and gamble. Or find reman in junkyard.
*Intake / pcv system should be regasketed / replaced
* Valley pan maybe at same time as intake
* expensive alternator

E39 is such a solid and well built body.

Very attractive and well designed. Refined, somewhat modern by say today's standards, you could say quite "analogue" too. I don't know how to describe it, but it is a rely nice era of BMW. E46 e39 E38 e53 are all very nice vehicles.

While they may have a lot of little issues, probably a lot to do with normal age now and lack of previous owner maintenance ("I got a 540 and it's a leaky piece of crap" , etc kind of stories)

They are well worth the effort I think. One of the most attractive BMWs. Prices do seem to be rising lately. I'd feel safe being in an accident in an E39. I was rear ended and it was hard and it wasn't too bad. A friend wrecked his and could have died. Bent the frame rail almost 90* upward. He was OK with needing some good sleep and rest.

Some goods of e39s, subjective of course:
* strong and safe
* largely considered visually pleasing
* easy to drive
* not too big not too small
* current parts availability
* desirable, people do love them
* cool swaps including m5 engine and a nice V8 wagon variant
* ac usually seems good/works or at least "fixable" often w a recharge or some minor maintenance
* cars available currently in junk yards
* available software and cables to do laptop etc diag and retrofit / coding when using used or refurb parts
* cozy, comfortable, no major water leaks inside cabin that are more difficult to fix (e28 windshield leaks for example, should I do it now or wait for repaint) where no issues like that w e39 (glued on modern style windshield w beauty strip)
* quiet and stable often even with weak front suspension, front suspension usually wobbles in front or feels loose a bit and should probably be mostly replaced in one shot of refurbished (press in New bushings if arms are OK otherwise - ball joints)

If this is too much, I'll relocate it to another area.

Big e39 lover here. Great vehicles. Classy!
muleskinner

Re: FS: My 2002 e39 530iA Sport package

Post by muleskinner »

Edited to reflect Sport package. Not M sport. And yes, they're great cars. This is my 3rd e39. Only selling because it's time to begin thinning the herd.