WTB - E34 535i (5spd preferred - Cleveland, OH)

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
chrisherrel

WTB - E34 535i (5spd preferred - Cleveland, OH)

Post by chrisherrel »

Hey all, back again trying to lock in a purchase on the forums. I've had great luck so far on sourcing an M30, transmission, and DME for my E30 project from here and am hoping to keep that luck rolling.

I just sold my mint (28k mile) E92 6spd because I was getting tired of the harsh ride and am looking to go back to a 5 series, albeit an older one than my E61 was. While the wagon was a great rig, I'm not exclusively looking for an E34 touring.

I would love to find a clean, daily-quality E34 5spd to replace the E92. M30 power is preferred and manual trans greatly preferred (if not required), but an auto-backed M60 with timing chain guides done would be tempting. Willing to handle all the shipping leg-work if the car is outside of about a 6-8 hour drive from 44147.

Budgeting for 8ish thousand as the top end, but could stretch the wallet a bit for an extra clean car. Also could be very interested in the right E32 735 if there happens to be one out there.

Thanks again all, this community has been great in helping me track down the M30 bits I need to get my E30 back rolling and I'm hoping it can get me into a new daily as well.

Chris
Joey28

Re: WTB - E34 535i (5spd preferred - Cleveland, OH)

Post by Joey28 »

Just FYI- Check the Allentown PA Craigslist for this. There's a green '92 535i 5MT, M30. It's hi-mileage and has some cosmetic/minor mech issues, but doesn't look rusty and is supposedly very reliable. Seller wants $2K, & you could make it nice for $6K more.
https://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/d/ ... 96999.html
chrisherrel

Post by chrisherrel »

Seller wants $2K, & you could make it nice for $6K more.
Thanks for the lead, I've seen this one in some of my searches and it makes a nice point of comparison for anyone else who may have a lead on one or a car of their own they're looking to sell. While it's on the cheap and I'd have plenty left over to spruce it back up, I'd prefer to have a car with as little that needs to be done as possible.

Thanks again!

Chris
Joey28

Post by Joey28 »

Yah it would need a lot of work/time.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

If you can stretch your budget, it'll be worth the extra few thousands to get this "Ron P certified" e32:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-735i-6/
chrisherrel

Post by chrisherrel »

this "Ron P certified" e32
I've been drooling over this since it went up. Definitely on the watch list but I'm sure the BaT effect is going to kick in hard towards the last two days of that one.

Thanks!

Chris
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Having owned an E12, five E28s, an E34, and two E39s, I have to say the E34 is my favorite of all the Fives.

But I would encourage you to look at the later/latest M50tu version 525i over the 535i. I have over 250,000 miles on my M50tu 525i stick with AST and it has been absolutely bullet-proof. It is sad to report that it has similar, if not worse, rust problems as any E28. The usual spots are trunk lights (will BMW ever learn) and door bottoms (again). But mine spent its first three years in Ohio and has rust problems beyond what I see in either E28s I still own. Sad but true.

I think the M50TU is actual a better engine than our M30-based "tractor" motors. They require no valve adjustment, head torque, or valve cover removal. Plugs last forever and, with a chip perform as well—if not better—than either the 535i or the 530i V8. Probably getting hard to find in a stick but well worth the hunt. I'm keeping mine and even bought a driveable $300 automatic parts car (same color) to replace the rusty parts of my favorite BMW.

Well, favorite before I fell in love with my 2013 128i Msport 6-speed.
chrisherrel

Post by chrisherrel »

I would encourage you to look at the later/latest M50tu version 525i over the 535i
This is a solid endorsement for the 525i and I'll have to give them a more serious look. Part of my attraction to the M30 is the longevity of production it had, running nearly 30 years and going through continuous iterations until the end while the M50 was the new kid on the block. I'll have to give the M50s the better look that it sounds like they deserve.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

chrisherrel wrote: Sep 21, 2021 1:03 PM
I would encourage you to look at the later/latest M50tu version 525i over the 535i
This is a solid endorsement for the 525i and I'll have to give them a more serious look. Part of my attraction to the M30 is the longevity of production it had, running nearly 30 years and going through continuous iterations until the end while the M50 was the new kid on the block. I'll have to give the M50s the better look that it sounds like they deserve.
The M50 came out in the U.S. first in the 1991 525i, IIRC. The TU (Technical Update) version was 1993 or 1994 adding variable valve timing. The same basic engine is in use today, albeit in turbo version, but while all around new BMWs there are various failures, the basics of the engine have proven even stronger then the M30, in my opinion. My concern with the TU when I saw it at introduction was that its shorter piston skirts would rock and cause premature wear of the piston or the bore and neither seems to have happened. As long as you don't overheat it, the engine should go 300k-miles, easy, without really any sign of aging out.

The 5-speed in the E34 525i is also fantastic with a 1:1 5th gear. It is essentially a close-ratio gear box, though picked specifically for the final drive ratio in the 525i so it's loafing at higher speed. I'm still on original clutch at 250k-miles. I replaced the radiator and the slave cylinder. Entire exhaust is original. Usual front suspension issues as all other BMWs and I believe the lower control arm is the same part for E28 and E34. Dashboards don't crack. Windshields are glued in so no leaks. I used Moosehead's bushing kit in mine maybe ten-years ago and it was a life-changing experience. I run it lowered with 17-inch wheels. Have a set of Bilstein sports waiting for it when I "restore" it. I'm struggling to think of anything that has gone wrong beyond the rust. Just don't buy one from Ohio!
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Sep 21, 2021 5:29 PM
chrisherrel wrote: Sep 21, 2021 1:03 PM
The M50 came out in the U.S. first in the 1991 525i, IIRC. The TU (Technical Update) version was 1993 or 1994 adding variable valve timing. The same basic engine is in use today, albeit in turbo version, but while all around new BMWs there are various failures, the basics of the engine have proven even stronger then the M30, in my opinion. My concern with the TU when I saw it at introduction was that its shorter piston skirts would rock and cause premature wear of the piston or the bore and neither seems to have happened. As long as you don't overheat it, the engine should go 300k-miles, easy, without really any sign of aging out.

The 5-speed in the E34 525i is also fantastic with a 1:1 5th gear. It is essentially a close-ratio gear box, though picked specifically for the final drive ratio in the 525i so it's loafing at higher speed. I'm still on original clutch at 250k-miles. I replaced the radiator and the slave cylinder. Entire exhaust is original. Usual front suspension issues as all other BMWs and I believe the lower control arm is the same part for E28 and E34. Dashboards don't crack. Windshields are glued in so no leaks. I used Moosehead's bushing kit in mine maybe ten-years ago and it was a life-changing experience. I run it lowered with 17-inch wheels. Have a set of Bilstein sports waiting for it when I "restore" it. I'm struggling to think of anything that has gone wrong beyond the rust. Just don't buy one from Ohio!
Thanks for all this great insight into E34s; I've always been a big fan of them too, especially the wagons.
You seem to be more enthusiastic about the later M50 TU engine but what do you think of the earlier iterations, with the M20 B25 (SOHC) and the "standard" M50 B25, non-Vanos? Would you turn down a minty E34 525i with one of these engines? Part of the E34's appeal for me is their relative simplicity, and I've read about Vanos-related troubles in some more modern models. Would prefer to keep things as simple as possible, even at the expense of some performance.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

LarryM wrote: Sep 28, 2021 12:27 AMThanks for all this great insight into E34s; I've always been a big fan of them too, especially the wagons.
You seem to be more enthusiastic about the later M50 TU engine but what do you think of the earlier iterations, with the M20 B25 (SOHC) and the "standard" M50 B25, non-Vanos? Would you turn down a minty E34 525i with one of these engines? Part of the E34's appeal for me is their relative simplicity, and I've read about Vanos-related troubles in some more modern models. Would prefer to keep things as simple as possible, even at the expense of some performance.
If you're looking for simplicity you don't want a rubber-band engine. The M50 doesn't seem to have any of their head-gasket leak issues and they produce more power. The bigger problem in the E34 is the blowing up of the door panels, like an E36. Really only the last year, 1995, seems fairly immune to his issue and then only in the leather interior with the "gathered" leather on the door panels and seats. I would absolutely look only for the 1995 year and that means M50TU. I'd also only consider one with ASC+T traction control which was an option. I ordered 100% of ours with ASC back then. Part of the reason I like those cars so much.
chrisherrel

Post by chrisherrel »

Weekend bump :D