SOLD - For Sale: 1984 733i 5 Speed - San Diego

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
funfunfer

SOLD - For Sale: 1984 733i 5 Speed - San Diego

Post by funfunfer »

Hi all,

I'm selling my late father in law's 1984 BMW 733i. His name was Jim Moffitt aka "funfunfer" here on the forums. I believe he was pretty active here on the forums, all the way up to the week before he passed. I helped him sell one of his e28 M5's to another member here in Feb/March this year.

Jim lived in Houston, but I recently had the car shipped out to where I am in San Diego - Carlsbad to be exact.

A few details on the car:
1984 733i - White
139,000 miles and will continue go up because i've been working on it and driving it
5 Speed Manual
Red interior
Roof rack

I've been slowly getting to know the car, driving it, and turning a few wrenches along the way as I find things that need to be addressed. Took it to Cars n Coffee this morning in Rancho Sante Fe where I stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the exotics, ha!

Things that I know still need to be addressed:
2nd gear syncro grinds when downshifting from third about 50% of the time. All other forward and reverse shifting is great.
It needs new tires - Some cracking is present on the sidewalls
Passenger rear window does not roll down
The AC blower motor needs to be replaced. Jim was working on sourcing the correct blower before he passed. There is a bin in the trunk with maybe a dozen different blowers that he was trying.
The central locking only locks all the doors when operating it from the passenger door.
The passenger side of the upper fan shroud is broken. Currently held up with zip ties.
The fuse panel is currently held down with a zip tie.

There are guaranteed other items, I just haven't found them yet. Consider that my disclaimer :laugh:

The good:
Sunroof
5 speed manual
Brand new battery
Runs smooth
Chromework is great
A complete and in great condition factory tool kit in trunk.
Straight body panels!
Virtually no rust except a few very minor surface areas that i've highlighted in the photos - Link below

It's a great car that I would like to see go an enthusiast similar to the father/son that we sold his e28 M5 to. If it doesn't sell here I will probably list it on the bmw cca classifieds site or cars and bids.

You will all know 1000% more than me on this car, but please do not hesitate to ask questions, request pictures or certain videos. Happy to do whatever is needed. Test drives are welcome, but no freeway time due to the tires needing replacing.

I should mention that if you knew Jim, you knew he loved a road trip. This car has been all over the place. It's made a trek from Houston to the east and back.

I can be reached at 760-274-34 two three or andydarcy@mac.com

Oh - the price - I really don't know, so reach out, let's chat, and let me know what you think its worth. You'll get bonus points if it's going to a home that will use and take care of it.

Thanks,

Andy

Link to photos below:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B165O3DjH0yPQ6
Last edited by funfunfer on Jun 18, 2021 11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.
funfunfer

Re: For Sale: 1984 733i 5 Speed - San Diego

Post by funfunfer »

I should have mentioned that the car is currently registered in Texas, which I just renewed for another year. The new registration sticker will be here in a week or two.
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Sorry to hear about your father in law. I think I saw something about his passing on Facebook, can't remember if I met him when I was at TexFest a couple years ago.

White with red leather is a good combo and the car looks to be in decent shape. Good luck with the sale!
DFWTX85

Post by DFWTX85 »

Send it back to Texas so I can take care of it! Seriously, we don't have enough of these classic BMW's here and I'm trying to bring and keep more cars here in the area with the small and passionate group of enthusiasts we have. I've had to "import" all of my current and previous E2x cars from other states. A well-sorted E23 manual is something I've had on my "want" list for a while now. I've only seen a handful in the past five years for sale here and none were that great, except one in Houston that had considerable rust from being close to the coast.

I have a replacement transmission I can install in this car and keep it going for years.
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

Kenny Blankenship wrote: Jun 05, 2021 3:39 PM Sorry to hear about your father in law. I think I saw something about his passing on Facebook, can't remember if I met him when I was at TexFest a couple years ago.

White with red leather is a good combo and the car looks to be in decent shape. Good luck with the sale!
Thanks! I know he was a regular at Texfest most years.
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

DFWTX85 wrote: Jun 05, 2021 3:57 PM Send it back to Texas so I can take care of it! Seriously, we don't have enough of these classic BMW's here and I'm trying to bring and keep more cars here in the area with the small and passionate group of enthusiasts we have. I've had to "import" all of my current and previous E2x cars from other states. A well-sorted E23 manual is something I've had on my "want" list for a while now. I've only seen a handful in the past five years for sale here and none were that great, except one in Houston that had considerable rust from being close to the coast.

I have a replacement transmission I can install in this car and keep it going for years.
That could certainly be arranged if you’re interested. I think I paid around $800 to have it shipped out here to San Diego from Houston.

Other than what is likely just a synchro for 2nd gear, this transmission feels great.
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

Thought I would post some answers to questions that I received from someone for the group:

The car tracks straight, does not pull left/right when accelerating or braking. I have not tried this on the highway, fyi. Since the tires need replacing I have only driven it up to 45-50mph.

Brake pedal feels as it should. Not too hard or to spongy. Nothing that causes me to think there is a problem.

There was a question about the exhaust looking low. It is secure and does not shake or rattle.

There is not any clunking from the suspension.

No visible coolant under the oil cap or oil in the coolant overflow tank. I added a picture of the oil cap underside to the album.

No clutch chatter

No leaks. It's been in my driveway for the last few weeks and hasn't marked its territory even once. I wish I could say the same for my FJ40! Ha

For clarification, the blower is physically removed from the car. The one under the cowl at the base of the windshield. There's a full bin of blowers and the parts to hold the blower together in the trunk. I have no idea if the correct blower is in the bin or not, but there must be 8-10 in there, lol.

Please let me know if you'd like specific pictures of something.

I may go throw a new set of tires on it this week, its a fun car to drive!

Andy
funfunfer

Post by funfunfer »

Car is sold. It ended up staying out here in San Diego, Pacific Beach specifically.

Thanks!
DFWTX85

Re: SOLD - For Sale: 1984 733i 5 Speed - San Diego

Post by DFWTX85 »

Its too bad this car was likely sold to a shady buyer who is trying to follow in the example of everyone who thinks they can flip cars now. I never thought this car would ever be worth $14k, let alone anyone thinking they could ask such a price.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto ... 33960.html
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

DFWTX85 wrote: Aug 14, 2021 7:31 PM Its too bad this car was likely sold to a shady buyer who is trying to follow in the example of everyone who thinks they can flip cars now. I never thought this car would ever be worth $14k, let alone anyone thinking they could ask such a price.

I agree with you. I wish "we" could have kept it in the family. :(
DFWTX85

Post by DFWTX85 »

Mdreamer wrote: Aug 17, 2021 9:14 AM
DFWTX85 wrote: Aug 14, 2021 7:31 PM Its too bad this car was likely sold to a shady buyer who is trying to follow in the example of everyone who thinks they can flip cars now. I never thought this car would ever be worth $14k, let alone anyone thinking they could ask such a price.

I agree with you. I wish "we" could have kept it in the family. :(
I was ready to buy it and have it brought back to TX since it still had TX plates and registration; would have been easy to keep it that way. But I was met with vagueness about making an offer. I would have thrown a few grand at it but that didn't seem to be "enough."
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I was ready to buy it and have it brought back to TX since it still had TX plates and registration; would have been easy to keep it that way. But I was met with vagueness about making an offer. I would have thrown a few grand at it but that didn't seem to be "enough."
[/quote]

I've been in your position before. Hopefully you have another crack at it one day. Even if you don't, something else will pop up eventually. ;)
DFWTX85

Post by DFWTX85 »

I just saw it on eBay and its a dealer...
Kenny Blankenship

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Wow. My 733i must be worth at least $20k!!! :laugh: