FS: 1987 535is w/Euro bumpers & b35 (sale pending)

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
Ken NC

FS: 1987 535is w/Euro bumpers & b35 (sale pending)

Post by Ken NC »

After owning this vehicle since 1991 (second owner), sadly it's time for us to part ways. I have too many other projects, and not enough time to properly maintain this old girl properly. There's around 340k showing on the clock; the chassis actually has another 15k or so from once when the odometer went out. Here is a list of upgrades to the car:

Lachsilber exterior / black interior (converted from red)
5-spd manual transmission
Short shift / Aluminum shift knob (UUC)
M30-b35 engine from an 89 635csi (swapped 6/02)
Jim Conforti / Turner 179 chip
Lightened flywheel (Top End Performance)
Metric Mechanic ported intake manifold
Throttle Body bored 3.5mm over (by Ed Mazula)
Cold air induction (Todd DeHate)
3.45 LS diff
H&R springs and Bilstein HD shocks
M5 sway bars (reinforced)
Front strut tower brace (BMP)
Rear shock tower brace (OEM)
E32 front brakes
E34 rear brakes (solid rotor)
Battery relocated to trunk
Front and Rear Euro bumpers
Reproduction (Paul Ladue) Hartge front spoiler w/euro turns (no fogs, black panels instead)
Hartge staggered 16" wheels (7.5 / 8.5") bought new in 2002
Yokohama S-drive tires in very good condition (probably no more than 5,000 miles)
Euro headlights and grill
Motorsport steering wheel (new 2006)
Clutch stop

NOTE: the car comes with a boatload (OK, the trunk, back seat, and passenger seat) of spare parts, some new, some used but good (I may or may not get another E28, probably moving to something else). This includes an original 535is spoiler.
Also, extensive (but not complete) documentation, going back to original sale and owner.

The good:
The car drives and presents quite well; it gets a lot of compliments.
The vehicle has been my daily driver, and has never sat un-driven for any extended periods of time.
The AC blows cold, and is all new (Aug 2020; $1800 in parts and labor)
The interior is in relatively good shape. The original sport seats have been replaced with Recaros, then back to two passenger-side black sport seats (which was the best I could do at the time). They are in decent shape, no rips, tears. Carpet is in very good condition, especially the rear (practically flawless). The door cards and handles are in excellent condition (and another very good set of handles comes with the car).
The headliner is discolored in the usual places, but is in good shape.
The trunk is ‘almost’ rust-free (there is a small hole in the spare well)
New windshield trim strips (Aug 2020)

The bad:
The car is a bit of a Rat Rod: it is relatively solid mechanically, and presents well from 10 feet, but is rough around the edges
The dash... has the typical 30-year-old stress cracks... and needs to either be covered or replaced.
The driver’s side floor has somehow gotten some moisture recently; I think I let some leaves collect around the hood while parked on the street; no damage yet, I am currently drying it in my garage, and the car will remain there until sold.
The trunk seal needs to be replaced (NOS seal included); slight leak here and there
The rear bumper mount holes have not been filled; there is some surface rust around them, and in a few other lower areas
The car was wrecked in 93, I slid sideways into a dirt embankment on a foggy, curvy road (blinded just for a half-second… that was enough); there is slight misalignment of the front fender, and the rear driver's side door is slightly misadjusted.
There is a slight miss, off throttle to idle, that I have not been able to diagnose and cure. It happens when clutching for stop signs and lights; from DE days I have always just done a toe-heel tap on the throttle and lived with it, but ideally, it needs to be diagnosed and worked out.
The RF window is intermittent (a good whack usually frees it up), RR only goes down a few inches then binds.
Tool kit about 2/3 complete

Here are a few pics from today (Jan 2021) and from July, when I replaced the front Euro parts:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xd152FUXuRsT9fAz9

Asking $6000. Located in Durham, NC. Please let me know if you have any questions. I have been a member since the early days (earlier than my current ‘member since’ date shows), and have tried to be forthcoming and complete in my description, but I know that there is info and there are views that are missing (undercarriage pics will be added soon to the album), I just wanted to go ahead and get the ad 'out there'.

Contact info is:
PM is fine
Msg or call: 919-368-27 three four (Is there any reason to still list numbers that way?)
Email to: kmitchell@cfsnc.org
Best,
Ken
Last edited by Ken NC on Jan 12, 2021 9:03 PM, edited 2 times in total.
thugginrobby

Re: FS: 1987 535is w/Euro bumpers & b35

Post by thugginrobby »

The url isn’t working.
Ken NC

Post by Ken NC »

I re-posted it just a few minutes ago; let me know if it's still not working. I can share the folder with you via email, if all else fails.
Thx
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

Ken NC wrote: Jan 11, 2021 8:38 PM I re-posted it just a few minutes ago; let me know if it's still not working.
Thx
Still 404 error
Ken NC

Post by Ken NC »

OK, I hope third (fourth) time is a charm...
Artevanj

Post by Artevanj »

Ken,
Looking forward to our call later today to discuss the car in more detail.

Jay
Notaweekend

Post by Notaweekend »

looks like a great car. GLWS
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Looks like a very fair price considering the upgrades. The good bits are all there with some attention and investment needed to fix a few things.
Bret

Re: FS: 1987 535is w/Euro bumpers & b35 (sale pending)

Post by Bret »

Looks like a fantastic car, GLWS.