1988 M5 Available on BaT

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
wkohler

1988 M5 Available on BaT

Post by wkohler »

Hi! I am representing this M5 on Bring A Trailer on behalf of the owner. I had the car for a couple months earlier this year going through the car making it solid for the current owner. Unfortunately it’s for sale but it will make a killer car for someone looking to get into an M5 and not have to do any heavy lifting.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m5-75/
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: 1988 M5 Available on BaT

Post by Shawn D. »

Wow, that looks clean!
gray635

Post by gray635 »

The car looks great and I'm glad to see Chris getting his props on BaT.

About the only things I could spot on a quick look were the dry outside window seals and the headliner separation at the rear seam. Otherwise, the car looks amazing @ 200k. Hope she brings good money.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Thank you both, Shawn and Mike. Short of replacing the dashboard, the badges on the front seats and I guess the wheels, all of my work on the car was focused on mechanicals. I think for 200k miles, the car shows amazingly well and it might be nuts but I’m most impressed how well the undercarriage shows, especially in light of the two cars that preceded this one.

Sadly that headliner separation happened sometime between when I delivered the car and when the photos were taken. It’s a bummer but it must have been ready to go. Also given the rear window was removed when the quarters were refinished, I don’t know how much more stress might have been put on the headliner with the rope. I just R&Red the back glass on another M5 and I can see where that could be an issue. No actual stitching on those loops, they are heat seamed on the original headliners. Black car, black headliner and it’s hot here. Even inside a garage. Oddly the KS Black on Black car had the same failure. The photos certainly show the crazing on the scrapers. I kinda like how they’re original but they are showing their age. This is one of those cars that can be enjoyed as is or since virtually everything that could present an issue mechanically has been sorted leaves some room for sorting some details and making it even better. It would be so easy to blow it apart, paint the car and then be afraid to drive it when it’s done.

But look at that steering wheel! It’s original!
cek

Post by cek »

Hey, I KNOW HIM!
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Hi Chris,
Is this one of the M5's I tried to buy some years ago here in VA, but was sold before my planned purchase? If so I hope it goes to a good home! Still always a place in this old heart for an E28 M5. But I do love our 2019 Audi RS 3 and running the back roads our E28 ran for 25+ years and my web site still being used! The RS 3 certainly helps keep me young-at-heart and I recommand such a vehicle for all 'senior citizens' who can manage to own one. :D
-Rod
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Hi Rod! No, this car has always been on the west coast and was in AZ for nearly 20 years. It is heading to the Sacramento area sometime next week. New owner seems excited so he should give it a good home.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Thank you sir! Nice to know it's going to a good home in CA.
-Rod
tano9455

Post by tano9455 »

Hey, Kohler

I’m in San Diego. Do you own a shop or do side work here?
I have a 535is but I want to move into an M5.