Has anyone else received a request to buy their car from a new member?

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
BMWCCA2

Has anyone else received a request to buy their car from a new member?

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Granted, this may be perfectly legitimate but a request came from a new member (joined today) via Private Message, to "purchase my E28".

I have never listed my car for sale and this new member is completely across the continent from me and has asked me to text them.

Just seemed a bit odd and I'm happy to share that new member's name.

As I said, this may be completely legit, or the new member may be spamming the board for . . . whatever reason. Harvesting phone numbers?

Apologies in advance to this new member if I'm misconstruing the intent. And, yes, I may be considering selling one of my E28s in the near future as my recent purchase of two 128s has caused my driveway to be a bit crowded.
Last edited by BMWCCA2 on Aug 19, 2020 12:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Re: Has anyone else received a request to buy their car from a new member?

Post by cek »

Trust your instincts. It's a scam.
thosmc

Post by thosmc »

Hello,
Since you brought it up I have been passively looking for a 1985-1988 535i/is. If that is one of the E28's you are considering to sell feel free to reach out to me. I am in Northeast PA, so not too far from VA. I have a decent budget. Looking for nice driver quality car.
Thank you
RonW

Post by RonW »

In 2013 I found a note on my windshield asking if my car was for sale. It had 549k miles at the time, and looked like it had more. I posted on MyE28.com asking whoever it was to come forward, but nobody did. Which was a smart move.